What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League is in the greatest shape ever. (Discuss)

Suitman

Post Whore
Great thread.
Good thread.

It's just another thread but I appreciate the sentiments.
What has been good is that generally and more importantly mostly, the replies have been thoughtful, constructive and insightful. There has been some great comments throughout.
That's what a discussion about the state of the game should be about.
Truly, there is a lot of great and learned posters on this site.

Vlad59

Juniors
What has been good is that generally and more importantly mostly, the replies have been thoughtful, constructive and insightful. There has been some great comments throughout.
And me!

Colk

First Grade

Not really. I know your team is winning atm which is clouding your viewpoint obviously but there are a lack of decent halves going around for one and most teams severely struggle in terms of attack and set plays etc.

The athleticism shown is brilliant don’t get me wrong (Coates try clearest example) but skill wise definitely no. I’m confident that the product will get better (there are a bunch of good young players coming through) but we need to cool our jets a little. 2020 and 2021 were the worst years of football I’ve ever seen and we are not that far removed.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Not really. I know your team is winning atm which is clouding your viewpoint obviously but there are a lack of decent halves going around for one and most teams severely struggle in terms of attack and set plays etc.

The athleticism shown is brilliant don’t get me wrong (Coates try clearest example) but skill wise definitely no. I’m confident that the product will get better (there are a bunch of good young players coming through) but we need to cool our jets a little. 2020 and 2021 were the worst years of football I’ve ever seen and we are not that far removed.
It's ok if you can't appreciate what you're seeing. That's on you

Canard

Immortal
Everyone seems happy with the way the game is going early in the season, then come round 15 when your team is staring down the barrel of 5 straight losses, you start to get a bit less optimistic.

Colk

First Grade
It's ok if you can't appreciate what you're seeing. That's on you

It’s ok also if you think it is the best it has ever been or some other outlandish statement because your team is winning. That’s on you as well.

If you want to be objective though go through the squads now if you want and tell me how many good halves are going around.

By the way I didn’t say it was terrible - it was objectively awful a few years back though. The on field product is going well and hopefully getting better with some good young players coming through but there is a bit of a way to go yet. I also said the athleticism is superb but skills wise it just objectively isn’t.

Why thank you .:sunglasses:

Wonder how much of that goes way back to the littler kids getting intimidated out of junior league by the bigger PI kids. There’s been talk of weight limits over age for years. Maybe there’s another thing the game needs to get right.

Colk

First Grade
Wonder how much of that goes way back to the littler kids getting intimidated out of junior league by the bigger PI kids. There’s been talk of weight limits over age for years. Maybe there’s another thing the game needs to get right.

It is a good point.

There is some hope though. Katoa for the Dolphins, Sam Walker for your mob, Strange for the Raiders and Galvin for the Tigers all have a bit of promise.

taste2taste

Juniors
Everyone has covered the positives, I'll mention my gripes.

1) We currently have all coaches talking about high percentage footy aka not taking any risks.

Alot of posts have mentioned how good the footy was in the early 00's and I'd have to agree, it would be good if we could encourage a more open, risky attacking game.

2) International footy is a farce but it has the potential to be big! Aus V NZ games have been crackers for a few years now, England are as competitive as they've ever been, Samoa V Tonga games are next level, Fiji aren't far off and if France can find a way to stop Union pinching all thier talented juniors they'll be up there too.

3) The current TV deal was solid but the next TV deal needs to be next level. And if 9 win the rights the NRL needs to insist they completely overhaul thier coverage, Gus, Joey, Thompson should never be allowed near the microphone again.

mongoose

Coach
The type of football being played is the best since the early to mid 2000's.

The one problem I have is the illusion of trying to make this sport "safe". It's always been a game for tough merkins and meatheads. I understand why the NRL have to be perceived as making the game safer but the actual fans of the game enjoy violence.
1999- 2005 was awesome on the field, terrible off it though. I watched the 2004 grand final recently, two hated teams and the speed and skill of this game was incredible. No wrestle or slowing down either.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
1999- 2005 was awesome on the field, terrible off it though. I watched the 2004 grand final recently, two hated teams and the speed and skill of this game was incredible. No wrestle or slowing down either.
Oh yeah the game was still being ran by NewsCorp puppets at that point. Awful times off the field

gerg

Juniors
yeah people are forgetting just 2 years ago we had one of the most unexciting, uncompetitive seasons ever... to argue that just 2 years later its the best its ever been on field? people are f**king delusional. I think the on field product could be a lot better.
Would like to see some better standards of commentators as well considering the broadcasters are an extremely important partner in selling the game. The Nine commentators are some of the worst in the world of professional sport. Fox are not much better, I like Warren Smith but Voss and Ginane are atrocious.

Nah. If we're talking the worst the standout for me was a Sharks / Storm game from 2016 or 2017. They wrestled the crap out of each other for 80 minutes. From memory it was the game that Cam Smith got binned - being the highlight of a very ordinary game. It was awful.

Great thread.

I’m loving the game at the moment. The one thing I would look at to improve the competition is to see the salary cap overhauled to help get a bit more fairness. I’m not sure we are worried about teams going broke anymore, so I would rather see a point based system put in place to give the less glamorous clubs a chance to compete.
-

It needs to change this year I think.
As a Penrith fan, how would you like to see that happen? Not trying to be defensive, genuine question.

I think no one could argue that Penrith plays by the rules in term of salary cap/roster construction.

Latest posts