What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League not Football its world cup year!

Giallorosso

Juniors
Reading a lot of media stuff this week concerning he Australia v NZ test match I noticed a lot of people are refering to this years Rugby League World Cup as the 'Football' World cup.....

Now before anyone goes off I know that here on the eastern seaboard of Australia we call rugby league 'football' but in the majority of the world the word football is what we in Australia would call soccer!

The Football World Cup the biggest and most popular single sporting event on the planet,the worlds game and a tournament that is watched and loved by billions...

When I was in the UK everyone I met called 'soccer' football... rugby league fans included

If we want our game to get serious international attention we have to get away from calling it 'football' and not take the name that everyone else (except the yanks) goes by for soccer.

Rugby league is 100 years old and we should be proud of the name Rugby League!!

roopy

Referee
Reading a lot of media stuff this week concerning he Australia v NZ test match I noticed a lot of people are refering to this years Rugby League World Cup as the 'Football' World cup.....

Now before anyone goes off I know that here on the eastern seaboard of Australia we call rugby league 'football' but in the majority of the world the word football is what we in Australia would call soccer!

The Football World Cup the biggest and most popular single sporting event on the planet,the worlds game and a tournament that is watched and loved by billions...

When I was in the UK everyone I met called 'soccer' football... rugby league fans included

If we want our game to get serious international attention we have to get away from calling it 'football' and not take the name that everyone else (except the yanks) goes by for soccer.

You'll have to wait till i die, because i've called RL football for 50 years now - and anyone who wants me to change can f**k themselves.

screeny

Bench
I call both football and RL 'football'. It's up to the context of the conversation to decide which sport I'm talking about.

The Tank

Bench
If football is used as a term in any official capacity then I'd agree. But if it's the Oz media then who cares - RL is football in NSW/QLD/ACT.

flamin

Juniors

I haven't heard anyone refer to it as the "Football World Cup".

Note: there is a reason why the soccer's is called the "FIFA World Cup" rather than Football.

not this sh*t again !

the word football is not exclusive to the round ball code.

many rugby ( league and union) and AFL clubs have been called football clubs for over 140 years.

Hull FC 1865
Carlton FC 1864
Melbourne FC 1859
Sale FC 1861

and many more.

None of them played with a round ball.

Simo

First Grade
You'll have to wait till i die, because i've called RL football for 50 years now - and anyone who wants me to change can f**k themselves.

Amen (except for the 50 year part you old bastard :p

Misty Bee

First Grade
Just because soccer can't think up another name apart from football (which is a generic name used by 6 different sports). Accept it. It's SOCCER. Besides, a real football is ovoid. When you use a real football, you can call it football. When you use a netball, well, it's probably safer to call it "soccer".

call it what you want in italy.

in this country football means RL, not poofball which is soccer.

hope this helps you catch on with the aussie vernacular