What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule change needed for next year

___

Juniors
I've noticed this many times this year and I'm sure most of us here have too.

Last night, Milford passed the ball straight into an Eels player from dummy half and was awarded a penalty. Milford has quite frankly been a pest at milking that penalty this year. I've also noticed other players such as Mbye doing it.

If a player is NOT infringing the play the ball, the officials can't just expect him to disappear provided he is not in the area. Last night's penalty was perhaps the worst of this incident I've seen. The Eels player was behind the Broncos player playing the ball, staying out of the way, and Milford passes into him and gets awarded a penalty. It needs to change... it's quite frustrating.

I've noticed this many times this year and I'm sure most of us here have too.

Last night, Milford passed the ball straight into an Eels player from dummy half and was awarded a penalty. Milford has quite frankly been a pest at milking that penalty this year. I've also noticed other players such as Mbye doing it.

If a player is NOT infringing the play the ball, the officials can't just expect him to disappear provided he is not in the area. Last night's penalty was perhaps the worst of this incident I've seen. The Eels player was behind the Broncos player playing the ball, staying out of the way, and Milford passes into him and gets awarded a penalty. It needs to change... it's quite frustrating.

Nope, sorry, not a change I'd want to see. Many of the penalties are given because the tackler makes no attempt to clear the ruck, which they are required to do under the laws of the game. They lay there, slowing the play the ball down, but have made no attempt to get out of the road, which is what leads to the penalty.

It is this kind of mindset that lead to all infringements by the attacking team in the in-goal leading to a 7 tackle set by the defending side, when it was supposed to only occur for kicks which went over the deadball line or touch in goal-line to nullify kick returns by a fullback.

___

Juniors
Nope, sorry, not a change I'd want to see. Many of the penalties are given because the tackler makes no attempt to clear the ruck, which they are required to do under the laws of the game. They lay there, slowing the play the ball down, but have made no attempt to get out of the road, which is what leads to the penalty.

It is this kind of mindset that lead to all infringements by the attacking team in the in-goal leading to a 7 tackle set by the defending side, when it was supposed to only occur for kicks which went over the deadball line or touch in goal-line to nullify kick returns by a fullback.
Amend the rule, when a player (like Milford last night) deliberately passes to player not infringing the ruck, they should be penalised, not the defending team.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Milford is one of the worst milkers the game has. He's like Josh Reynolds but with extra talent replacing the extra grubbiness.

If the rules stopped rewarding players for doing these things they'd stop doing them.

OldPanther

Coach
Amend the rule, when a player (like Milford last night) deliberately passes to player not infringing the ruck, they should be penalised, not the defending team.

Now you have the refs making subjective ruling on whether they think milking is happening and on occasion giving an offside player the benifit of the doubt. We already have enough issues with subjective rules and 50/50 calls effecting the fans enjoyment of games. No more please.

oldmancraigy

Coach
There is enough leeway in the rule for it to remain.

The problem last night was not the rule, it was the referee's interpretation/ his desire to even up the game somewhat? Baffling as to why he would blow a penalty for that particular incident. Had Edwards managed to duck, the ball would have ended up in the in-goal.

SBD82

Coach
We copped penalties for the dummy pass deliberately passing into the player on the ground.

The following week we did the same thing and were awarded penalties.

I'd never seen my team deliberately make this play previously. It felt shitty to watch them do it.

OldPanther

Coach

The problem last night was not the rule, it was the referee's interpretation/ his desire to even up the game somewhat? Baffling as to why he would blow a penalty for that particular incident. Had Edwards managed to duck, the ball would have ended up in the in-goal.

Exactly. If he ducks there is no penalty. The refs want to see genuine effort to be out of the way. If you just sit there like that it's a penalty every day.

Grapple

Bench
Danny Levi did the worst job of it falling over a player in the ruck the other week. Acting at its finest.

Rules don't need to be changed but the refs should see it as a "play to the whistle" situation. Everyone knows it's milking, so play on. Let the players take ownership of their actions. Simple.

Last Week

Bench
Exactly. If he ducks there is no penalty. The refs want to see genuine effort to be out of the way. If you just sit there like that it's a penalty every day.

He was out of the ruck area. He wasn't in front of Milford. Milford almost had to turn around completely to hit Edwards with it.

Literally the only thing that Edwards could have done is lay down.

2017-08-25 11.42.57.png

___

Juniors

EXACTLY. There was no Broncos player behind Edwards, therefore he was NOT infringing the play in any way. That was the biggest form of milking I've seen this year. If you want players to play the ball quickly, you have to give the tackling players a window to get out of the way. As mentioned before, you can't simply expect players to disappear.

OldPanther

Coach
He was out of the ruck area. He wasn't in front of Milford. Milford almost had to turn around completely to hit Edwards with it.

Literally the only thing that Edwards could have done is lay down.

View attachment 14943

The same thing happened to Tom Turbo. If you keep your head down and roll away you won't receive a penalty because you look to be making an effort. Kenny just sat there with a silly look on his face.

At the moment all the responsibility is on the offside player as it should be.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Danny Levi did the worst job of it falling over a player in the ruck the other week. Acting at its finest.

Rules don't need to be changed but the refs should see it as a "play to the whistle" situation. Everyone knows it's milking, so play on. Let the players take ownership of their actions. Simple.

But they DO do that. They shout 'milking' at the players. Rarely ever do you see someone peg the ball into the head of a player and get a penalty.

The ref who awarded it last night should be hauled over coals for it....

oldmancraigy

Coach
The same thing happened to Tom Turbo. If you keep your head down and roll away you won't receive a penalty because you look to be making an effort. Kenny just sat there with a silly look on his face.

At the moment all the responsibility is on the offside player as it should be.

Kenny sat there like an idiot between Milford and no Broncos player ever. Did you see it? Hilariously well milked

OldPanther

Coach
Kenny sat there like an idiot between Milford and no Broncos player ever. Did you see it? Hilariously well milked

Yeah I saw it, he milked it for all it's worth. I was happy to see the Eels not do the same thing a few times although they could have.