What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Change

possm

Coach
For a long time I have believed that the following rule change should be introduced for players transferring from one club to another:

1. The losing club should be paid a one off transfer fee by the gaining club from their salary cap = to the average salary for the term of the contract.
  2. The fee received by the losing club should only be allowed to be used as a top up to the losing club's salary cap.
  3. All TPAs to be managed by NRL and player managers.
  4. TPA's to be for a set period and transferrable with players from club to club.

In this way:

1. Club's such as the Dragons who invest so much into juniors and who have a larger portion of their roster filled with juniors, would be properly compensated for their effort.
  2. Clubs who do not support a junior league in their area will be encouraged to do so.
  3. There would be less movement of players between clubs.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
For a long time I have believed that the following rule change should be introduced for players transferring from one club to another:

1. The losing club should be paid a one off transfer fee by the gaining club = to the average salary for the term of the contract.
  2. The fee received should only be allowed to be used as a top up to the losing club's salary cap.

In this way club's such as the Dragons who invest so much into juniors and who have a larger portion of their roster filled with juniors, would be properly compensated for their effort.

What are your thoughts?
It's good, but its too complex for the management of the nrl to implement.

To be brutally honest, I'm starting to lean towards scrapping the cap altogether.

Our club is an example of why I think it should go. If we weren't being propped up by the nrl guaranteeing enough money to pay players, doust and the board would actually have pressure to perform or GTFO

jak

Bench

1. The losing club should be paid a one off transfer fee by the gaining club from their salary cap = to the average salary for the term of the contract.
  2. The fee received by the losing club should only be allowed to be used as a top up to the losing club's salary cap.
  4. TPA's to be for a set period and transferrable with players from club to club.

In this way:

1. Club's such as the Dragons who invest so much into juniors and who have a larger portion of their roster filled with juniors, would be properly compensated for their effort.
  2. Clubs who do not support a junior league in their area will be encouraged to do so.

What are your thoughts?
your making way to much sense.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

In this way:

What are your thoughts?

Possm
Well tought out.
But will never happen
Melbourne, Roosters, Dogs and many of the other teams with money don't have juniors and do not want any changes as they would be weakened.
What happens with a team like brisbane or warriors were does there juniors end.
Great idea but the nrl are not worried about junior or grass roots football.
So I can see it ever happening.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A trade or draft period is the only way I see of creating a level playing field.
TPA's then would then be only used in retention rather than the current situation.
2 ways to look at it:
1. Player values himself @ X $ and places himself on the market at that price.......up to a club to agree to buy him at that price.
2. 1st round (16 picks) picks are valued at X 2nd round valued at Y etc

Both examples clubs must keep within the salary cap. Round selection is by ladder position at the end of the last season. Clubs who do not want to trade or draft can "sell" their pick for the following year.

I think then the onus falls both on club and player to (a) manage the cap and (b) player to not "overprice" themselves and be aware they could end up at a club they dont want to be at but a risk they would have to take.
Oh yeah and (c) player managers to really have to sell the player who is up for trade and not rely on TPA's.

Thats the only way of seeing it become more of a level playing fiels and it would stop the mid-season signing ala Packer and Dugan etc which tend to realky disrupt a team.

Life's Good

Coach
I'm with SBD82 on this. Too complicated to manage and the 'incentive' for the losing club isn't there to prosper as they are generating revenue by offloading higher valued players to be replaced by cheaper juniors. Why give the club/board/CEO/coach more latitude by using player transfers as an excuse.

On the TPA's I'm pretty sure it can't be centralised due to restraint of trade(happy to be told I'm wrong). Also, if it was my own business funding a TPA I wouldn't want my $$ to be associated with a club like the Dogs.

possm

Coach
It's good, but its too complex for the management of the nrl to implement.

To be brutally honest, I'm starting to lean towards scrapping the cap altogether.

Our club is an example of why I think it should go. If we weren't being propped up by the nrl guaranteeing enough money to pay players, doust and the board would actually have pressure to perform or GTFO
Cap or no cap, the NRL would have to share much of the money collected with the Clubs. So the rich clubs would get the same money but then plough in how much they wanted to secure all the marquee players. I think the cap idea is OK it's the TPA that needs attention. Let the player manages earn their keep and secure TPA's for their marquee players and then have the deal signed off by the NRL. To me that seems very simple.

SBD82

Coach
Cap or no cap, the NRL would have to share much of the money collected with the Clubs. So the rich clubs would get the same money but then plough in how much they wanted to secure all the marquee players. I think the cap idea is OK it's the TPA that needs attention. Let the player manages earn their keep and secure TPA's for their marquee players and then have the deal signed off by the NRL. To me that seems very simple.
What I'm saying is that we should aspire to be a powerhouse, not rely on the NRL propping us up.

We should be the rich club that the other teams are jealous of.

possm

Coach
I'm with SBD82 on this. Too complicated to manage and the 'incentive' for the losing club isn't there to prosper as they are generating revenue by offloading higher valued players to be replaced by cheaper juniors. Why give the club/board/CEO/coach more latitude by using player transfers as an excuse.

On the TPA's I'm pretty sure it can't be centralised due to restraint of trade(happy to be told I'm wrong). Also, if it was my own business funding a TPA I wouldn't want my $$ to be associated with a club like the Dogs.
I see your point but as Normy Row once sung, 'it an't necessarily so'.

If the losing club was selling a player for 500k to a club that had offered a 3 year deal at 500k per year, then the losing club would get 500k from the gaining club. The losing club would have an increase in its cap of 500k and the gaining club would have a decrease of 1m being 500k to the losing club and 500k to the player for the first year. This situation would most definitely slow down the rich clubs in raiding the poorer clubs as it would be much more economical to grow their own juniors.

possm

Coach
What I'm saying is that we should aspire to be a powerhouse, not rely on the NRL propping us up.

We should be the rich club that the other teams are jealous of.
Yes I am sure the majority of members on here would agree with you. But with the administration we have at the moment there is every chance we will continue to go backwards rather than become a powerhouse.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Personally I think Salary Cap should be 3 million and can only be used for players outside the juniors. Juniors should be excluded therefore all clubs are forced to produce their own juniors or invest in the country clubs and build affiliations. They should only use the cap to buy 3 - 5 marquee players to cover any gaps that you have from your juniors coming through. I hate how clubs can use the whole cap plus TPA's to build a squad and others that do bring up juniors are disadvantaged by not being able to keep the ones they want and feed the rich clubs who have no juniors.

If a club feels that the player is no use to them then they can release them and let them go somewhere else. If a club taps them up and they are still contracted to the club then they should face a huge fine. So basically that will mean they keep their 1st and 2nd choice player for each position. 3rd choice can be put released and put in a pool so other clubs can pursue. Only seems fair that the club that produces juniors keeps their best not forced to release them because of salary cap constraints.

In terms of the NRL and money they distribute between clubs, simple clubs that produce juniors get a higher % of the pie, teams that have their TPA's and don't invest in juniors get a small piece of the pie.

They bring that rule out then all of a sudden junior rugby league and teams in the bush will start getting the rich clubs interested in their juniors and throwing some money at them.

SBD82

Coach
Yes I am sure the majority of members on here would agree with you. But with the administration we have at the moment there is every chance we will continue to go backwards rather than become a powerhouse.
Agreed. And I think that as long as we remain propped up by the nrl, our inept administration will face little pressure to succeed or be removed.

Life's Good

Coach
I see your point but as Normy Row once sung, 'it an't necessarily so'.

If the losing club was selling a player for 500k to a club that had offered a 3 year deal at 500k per year, then the losing club would get 500k from the gaining club. The losing club would have an increase in its cap of 500k and the gaining club would have a decrease of 1m being 500k to the losing club and 500k to the player for the first year. This situation would most definitely slow down the rich clubs in raiding the poorer clubs as it would be much more economical to grow their own juniors.
And who does the losing club replace the player with when there is a shallow pool of replacements??

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Well first of all NRL has become predictable and becoming boring so how about
1. 8 tackle rule more options available, many.

2. 3 man scrum, ball in by the ref, back rowers must stand behind props, team with the so-called feed can pack the 5 ,yeah it might be scrappy initially but the adlib and far from set result, makes for some interesting outcomes.

3. Bull$hit pro fouls when a team is doing all it can to prevent a try.
Send em off!! in 20 min quaters.
Foul in 1st min sent off till 20th min, foul in 25th min off till halftime and so on.
The game is in desperate need of fluency,adlib and dare I say a bit of rough and tumble it is not a game of Chess.

possm

Coach
I was only looking at the salary cap however, the rule that would make a significant difference in the way the game is played would be to have 6 players on the bench and a rule 'when you come off you stay off'. No more rotation of players. A side bonus would be the ability to blood young juniors.

Mr Red

First Grade
Unfortunately if the transfer fee system was reintroduced, doust would see this as a major source of revenue for the club and start selling off any player of talent in order to balance the books each season....
We would become what's referred to as a "selling club" in soccer terms, and our entire team would be full of latimores, mccrones, Mitch reins and marketo's.....

possm

Coach
Unfortunately if the transfer fee system was reintroduced, doust would see this as a major source of revenue for the club and start selling off any player of talent in order to balance the books each season....
We would become what's referred to as a "selling club" in soccer terms, and our entire team would be full of latimores, mccrones, Mitch reins and marketo's.....
Sorry this does not make any sense to me. We are a junior development Club and so we would be selling the juniors in our top 30 who aren't needed as we would have others coming through. This would only help us to improve our roster each year. Promoting juniors rather than buying fringe first graders form other clubs.

Latest posts