What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule tweaks incoming?

Someguy

First Grade
After all the effort by the NRL to make the short kickoff/dropout the default low risk play it seems that Manly has upset the apple cart. Who would have thought that the strategy could be nullified by just pulling a challenge and pinging the inevitable offside player. I am expecting tweaks around what can be challenged in the coming weeks

firechild

First Grade
Manly weren't challenging the offside. Not sure if the challenge would have been successful but the ball definitely bounced off Turbo's head, it may have also hit his hand. The workaround for the NRL is to only look at what was challenged rather than the whole play (which arguably is how it should work anyway).

taste2taste

Juniors
I once read an account of a jousting tournament in mediaeval England, over 3 days, one dozen dead, another dozen permanently incapacitated, about another dozen would die in the following month from wounds received. Wildly popular and playing to massive crowds.

I also wonder whether one day people will look back on contact sports and say `you know people used to get knocked-out regularly during those events, unbelievable !`

taste2taste

Juniors
I'm convinced contact sports won't exist in 50 years, a recent study found 12 yr old Gridiron players suffered an average 200 sub concussions a season, NFL players suffered between 1,000 to 1,500 per season, it's estimated league and Union players suffer even more.

Here's a few rules I can guarantee will happen within 5 years.

Copying the NFL, kick offs from the 40m, no running start allowed from the defence, if the kick off is caught in goal the offence will get a 7 tackle set starting from the 20m. This will drastically decrease the kick off collisions.

Smart mouth guards will be compulsory ( currently being trailed in Union )

Tackles bellow the nipples ( hehe)

Compulsory wearing of Halo headgear which reduces sub concussions by 60%

Defence only has to get back 5m

Players suffering concussions stand down 3 weeks as per recent recommendations by leading Neurologists.

gerg

Juniors
Wasn't this one of the counter-arguments when the shoulder charge was banned? More head collisions?

yobbo84

First Grade
How about first banning a certain individual from leading with his forarm high every single run

T-Boon

Coach
They should make kick offs safer and more exciting. They are one of the most predictable things in the game. Kick to 10m to side of post, catch, pass to big fella, tackled on about 20m line. Every time.

Maximus

Coach
I'd expect in the next year or 2 the NRL will adopt something similar to the NFL's new kick off rules. The kicker still kicks from halfway, but the rest of the team on the 30m line and can't move until the ball is caught/hits the ground.

Fangs

Coach
They should make kick offs safer and more exciting. They are one of the most predictable things in the game. Kick to 10m to side of post, catch, pass to big fella, tackled on about 20m line. Every time.

Yes but they've done that already with the new rule change.

You'd need to kick off from the opposition 20. Up your alley I'm sure.

firechild

First Grade
I'd expect in the next year or 2 the NRL will adopt something similar to the NFL's new kick off rules. The kicker still kicks from halfway, but the rest of the team on the 30m line and can't move until the ball is caught/hits the ground.
So you think they would change rules to encourage the short dropout but stop the short kick-off? Makes sense. If anything I would think rule changes to encourage more short kick-offs would alleviate the problem of kick-off head injuries.

Maximus

Coach
So you think they would change rules to encourage the short dropout but stop the short kick-off? Makes sense. If anything I would think rule changes to encourage more short kick-offs would alleviate the problem of kick-off head injuries.

There's a reason we don't have short kick-offs 99% of the time like dropouts despite having the same rule change.

And just like the NFL still allows the onside kick, the short kick-off would still be able to happen.

taste2taste

Juniors
Kickoffs wouldn't even account for 1% of total HIA's in the game, its a carry on about nothing.
It would be interesting to get a break down of HIA from kick offs and is it the ball carrier or defender that gets the head knock.

Either way, having these collisions at full speed isn't good for the brain and almost certainly each kick off results in a couple of sub concussions.

Watching the local A grade this weekend it's amazing they haven't banned kick offs at this level. The collisions were enormous, these guys are suffering just as many head knocks as the professionals but with out a Dr sideline to access them and pull them off the field.

Danish

Referee
Personally I think the only logical outcome is to ban contact entirely. No no, not touch football. That involves contact you barbarians!

the winner of all games shall be determined by the coin toss. Safest way to ensure no one gets hurt

snickers007

Juniors
Copying the NFL, kick offs from the 40m, no running start allowed from the defence, if the kick off is caught in goal the offence will get a 7 tackle set starting from the 20m. This will drastically decrease the kick off collisions.

I reckon this is fairly close, but they I think they need to incentivise short kicks, rather than just penalise long kicks. And I think they need to continue to kick-off from halfway.

One way to do that is to offer a dynamic tackle count based on where the kick lands.
- Kick lands between 40m -> 20m, it's a 4 tackle set.
- Kick lands between 20m -> 0m, it's a 6 tackle set.
- Kick lands in the in-goal, it's a 20m restart, 7 tackles.

Also allow the receiving team to touch the ball before it travels 10m (they must be on/behind the 40m line when the kick occurs to be onside)

This adds a genuine risk vs reward dynamic to each kick-off, but also balances the advantages between the kicking and defending teams.

Latest posts