What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour Simona gone for 2014

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Being reported Cronulla has signed Simona for next season on a 2 year deal. Pity if we have lost him and its true Ayshford wants a release. Simona would have been a good replacement for him although there is Richards now too.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well, I for one will be shocked if this happens.

At least we still have Moltzen, Ayshford, Lawrence all safely signed to long term deals.

Tiger05

First Grade
I hope this isn't true. Simona has probably been our best outside back this year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another reason why signing Richards was a dumb move. We're likely to lose a quality back that is faster & younger.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Junior development will ensure the WTs brand is sustainable and provides the club with a significant advantage over other teams who can't or won't produce juniors.

I view this latest signing (if true) as a ringing endorsement of the WT's junior development programme.

The salary cap needs to be modified to reward clubs who do produce juniors such as the Dragons, Raiders, Panthers, Eels, Cowboys, Knights and WTs. This change will result in a significant competitive advantage over other clubs.

FootynRacing

Juniors
He is exactly what Cronulla need. I have a bad feeling this rumour might have some truth in it. Fingers crossed it does not. If we lose him to have Richards here next year it is madness !!!

BrotherJim05

Bench
I also heard rumours that the Tigers are seeking to sign Barba and Robbie was off to the Eels.......doesn't mean shit untill its confirmed

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Junior development will ensure the WTs brand is sustainable and provides the club with a significant advantage over other teams who can't or won't produce juniors.

I view this latest signing (if true) as a ringing endorsement of the WT's junior development programme.

The salary cap needs to be modified to reward clubs who do produce juniors such as the Dragons, Raiders, Panthers, Eels, Cowboys, Knights and WTs. This change will result in a significant competitive advantage over other clubs.
will never happen.

Having a great juniors system amounts to f**k all if we sell them off to become great players at other clubs while we go about signing old players from everywhere else.

It almost says that the WT NRL side doesn't have any faith in its juniors.

That in itself is not a good endorsement of our juniors systems

R2Coupe

Juniors
Smith needs to step in and ensure it does. It sends a clear message that investment in local juniors will get you a competitive advantage over some of your rivals. This would be a huge step forward.

As a separate issue, how many little boys out in Campbelltown watch Sauso Sue and David Nofoaluma and think I want to be just like them and play for the WTs? The WTs need to continue promoting juniors and retaining our best.

Tiger05

First Grade
Another reason why signing Richards was a dumb move. We're likely to lose a quality back that is faster & younger.

Richards was a great player and may be still a good player for us over the next couple of seasons but based on Simona's performances this year the kid deserves an upgraded contract and a starting position.

I don't know why we would bother buying anyone other than a massive backrower. Even then we may be better off moving one or more of our centres into the backrow.

BrotherJim05

Bench
We do have wingers coming out our asses tho. Nufo has secured his starting spot IMO. Koro, Richards and Simona will all be fighting for the left edge winger spot and we also have Tageyle coming through the ranks.

I honestly think Simona is better than Koro. Koro is faster, stronger but does not have the same footy intelligence that Simona has.

BrotherJim05

Bench
And there is no way you can say WT don't give a shit about their juniors when we have nufo, ayshford, lawrence, sironen, koro, robbie, woods, ava, sue and probably others who all came up through our junior ranks....

And there is no way you can say WT don't give a shit about their juniors when we have nufo, ayshford, lawrence, sironen, koro, robbie, woods, ava, sue and probably others who all came up through our junior ranks....

Ashyford is a Paddington junior. He transferred from the Roosters to join the Tigers' u20s team from memory. Guys like Simona and Fulton also came from out of area although they played all their junior rep football with Balmain and Wests respectively.

On the topic of juniors, it's great to see Balmain producing top young talent again. I never doubted the strength of the Wests nursery but at Balmain we had a lean period following the 80s where we barely produced a decent firstgrader (wracking my brain to think of one). It all bodes well for the future.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Anybody give this NRL MOLE character any cred', cos he keeps spruiking about Simona to Sharks......is he in the know or just another internet 'legend' in his own lunchbox??? I fail to understand why WT's would let a 21 year old with heaps of talent/potential go & buy Pat Richards who is almost old enough to be Simona's father.....But then again I fail to understand a lot that has gone on at WT's over past few years...

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I thought Beau Ryan said on the footy show that Nofuloma and Simona where signed 'till the end of 2014. But I wouldn't put any money on it given my memory.

Latest posts