What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

abpanther

Staff member
I love how people still talk about Rennings and Gennings like we should've signed less players to give them opportunities.

Rennings has been shit in FG and can't stay healthy, Gennings showed flashes in FG but has too proven to be injury prone.

People struggle to accept that only a handful of these promising juniors ever pan out and we still need to add pieces to our roster when opportunities present themselves

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I love how people still talk about Rennings and Gennings like we should've signed less players to give them opportunities.

Rennings has been shit in FG and can't stay healthy, Gennings showed flashes in FG but has too proven to be injury prone.

People struggle to accept that only a handful of these promising juniors ever pan out and we still need to add pieces to our roster when opportunities present themselves

Exactly, it's weird. If they are good enough, they make the team and stay there. Signing no-one and assuming that the Jenningses, Blake, Cleary, Martin, Edwards etc. are all going to automatically be first grade stars is a stupid strategy.

It should all be about having a mix of seasoned first-choice players and younger players cycling in due to injuries and loss of form for the starters. The key is to know when to keep a young player in the team and when to shift players out of the club and when to buy someone new... not just promoting all the youngsters all at once because you are scared of losing them.

betcats

Referee
A bloke who played the second-most minutes in 2015 at Manly "couldn't nail down a spot"? I know you hate him with every fibre of your being, as you love to remind us, but let's not make shit up.

Yeo is in no way a center, and Peachey was never played there until this season, Blake sucks as a winger, and the Jenningses have done zero for us so far. Hiku can cover centre, wing and fullback.

EDIT: I will agree it is horrible cap management, but not for that reason. The key mistakes to me are:

1. Signing both Wallace and Soward to long contracts at the same time
2. Recruiting Korosiau and then dumping him immediately.
3. Tamou will be number 3 if it happens...

Oh yes i'm sure Wallace' contract is really hurting our cap.

betcats

Referee
Fair enough though Wallace has kind of worked out for us now with Segeyaro's form going to shit. I agree its poor that we are going to be relying on Soward plus two young guys in the halves next year.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Fair enough though Wallace has kind of worked out for us now with Segeyaro's form going to shit. I agree its poor that we are going to be relying on Soward plus two young guys in the halves next year.

It's too late now, but Soward + Wallace for a season would have been okay, then buy a guy like Sezer or whatever, but we signed them for 4 + 3 years, which was a dumb move, even at the time. Made even worse by the fact we had Austin here and shifted him on.

Soward + Austin
Austin + Martin
Martin + Cleary

OR

or Soward + Wallace (1 year)
Soward + Sezer (or someone like that)
Sezer + Martin/Cleary

Would have been ideal...

I don't know ... anything but having two aging halves grinding to a halt at the same time with two untried halves to take over at the same time. Still, too late now. We have put all our eggs in the basket of Martin and Cleary immediately coming good, so fingers crossed.

Paul Carter linked to us.

We’ve heard the Panthers are also leading the charge to sign off-contract Rabbitohs utility Paul Carter – son of club legend Steve Carter.
Souths are regenerating their roster, having already released Chris Grevshmul to the foot of the mountains after a falling-out with coach Michael Maguire.
Rescued from the scrapheap by Maguire last year, Carter has been hit and miss in 2016.
But when he hits, he hurts and the Panthers are one of several rival clubs who see great potential in the former Titans bad boy.
His management tell us a decision will be made this week.
Also capable of playing hooker, Carter is also an option to cover for James Segeyaro, whose future at Penrith now appears doomed after being dropped to NSW Cup this year.
We’ve been told he and coach Anthony Griffin have struggled to get past a disagreement over training early in the pre-season.
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...featuring-josh-massoud-and-liam-cox-round-13/

and there is a bit of mail floating around Tamou could take 2 more weeks to decide his future. It appears the telegraphs report on him coming here in the next 48 hours is wrong.

Blade23

Juniors
and there is a bit of mail floating around Tamou could take 2 more weeks to decide his future. It appears the telegraphs report on him coming here in the next 48 hours is wrong.

I am over Tamou. Come back to NSW to be closer to your family and get a bag of cash or stay up in QLD for a few more years with your mates for les cash. Make a decision and get on with it. I don't want our club ripped apart in the future because of his inflated salary. He might be good for 1 or 2 years but the 3rd or 4th season will be a waste of money. That will probably cost us a junior. Goulds not right all of the time.
I'd rather keep Mansour who will still probably make more metres than Tamou and buy a cheaper prop.

Last edited:
A bit more on Mansour.

Embassy visit signals Mansour’s future

NSW Origin debutante Josh Mansour is one of the highest profile free agents in the NRL. But will he be lost to rugby league altogether from next year?
We caught up with Josh’s proud mum, Angie Neto, just hours before she presented her only son with his Blues Rookie medallion on Tuesday night.
Angie told us she’d actually visited the Lebanese Embassy a few years earlier, to apply for a second passport for the Panthers flyer.
Mansour is eligible thanks to his father’s heritage.
“The idea of registering for the passport was that it would make it easier for him to get a spot overseas, if he wished to play Japanese or European rugby,” she said.
“If he does make that call in the future, there won’t be so much waiting around and paperwork to complete.”
A powerful runner of the football, Mansour would have no problems making the switch but still has a lot to achieve in rugby league in the wake of his first Origin appearance.
Almost 26, he knows his next deal will most likely be the most lucrative of his career and is seeking at a three or four year contract. Penrith’s ability to come to table has been compromised by several high profile recruits.
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...featuring-josh-massoud-and-liam-cox-round-13/

Fibroman

First Grade
Mansour is good for getting us 10 metres almost every hit up coming out of our own end, but on the flip side costs us some 4 pointers with his terrible hands

betcats

Referee
His hands aren't a problem now imo I think he is very good winger but like Billy said I'm not a fan of big money wingers either.

Doomednow

Bench
If Edwards is training with FG maybe the Moylan to halves plan is still a go. I wouldn't be surprised if NSW are expecting it to happen and that's why they gave him a run this year. Whatever happens one of Cleary, Martin, Edwards and Moylan is either not going to make it or leave us for somewhere else.

As for Mansour I love the bloke but we've been caught out from getting overly attached to "club legends" before. But I hope we keep him, just not for huge money. We most be close-ish to getting a concession on him, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.