What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
It was the beginning of the end for Cleary. It showed to Gould that change was needed, and Cleary was perhaps *in Gould's own words 'tired'.

I believe that Hook has had a far more positive framework about such things, and also about bringing the young kids through. Cleary was perhaps far too consverative with this.

Soward's back could of been stopped had we of fixed it when his shoulder was done. a few others were the same showed lazyiness to me that was the time I started the is Ivan a dud thread

soc123_au

Staff member
Anyone remember the presser with Ivan when the injuries were bad, where he basically threw the towel in. Now as they say in the ads 'COMAPRE THE PAIR'
To be fair to Ivan we had just been pumped by Parra in Darwin and to call the performance even pathetic is kind. Had we won that game as expected we would have maintained a realistic shot at a top 8 position iirc. Losing meant that a top 8 spot would require results beyond our control to go our way & pretty much wining the next 4 or 5 games. Even the most optimistic supporter pretty much knew that day that 2015 was gone as the final whistle blew that day. Ivan certainly could have handled that press conference better, but I dont recall him saying anything but "pretty much" when asked if the loss meant that the top 8 was now gone after the loss.

I'll admit I was disappointed that Hook was bought in the replace Ivan, but that doesnt mean I think Ivan was the messiah either. But I do find it funny that the Tamou and Hook fan club now paint Ivan as the devil. He did a f**king stellar job in 2014 with a massive injury toll. He is doing a magnificent job with the Tigers and helped develop some wonderful players. He has earned some respect from our club and it's fans and shouldnt be painted as something he isnt.

seal

Juniors
Phil Gould will be interviewing Josh Mansour at the stadium on Thursday night. Could be really good news or really bad news…

franklin2323

Immortal
To be fair to Ivan we had just been pumped by Parra in Darwin and to call the performance even pathetic is kind. Had we won that game as expected we would have maintained a realistic shot at a top 8 position iirc. Losing meant that a top 8 spot would require results beyond our control to go our way & pretty much wining the next 4 or 5 games. Even the most optimistic supporter pretty much knew that day that 2015 was gone as the final whistle blew that day. Ivan certainly could have handled that press conference better, but I dont recall him saying anything but "pretty much" when asked if the loss meant that the top 8 was now gone after the loss.

I'll admit I was disappointed that Hook was bought in the replace Ivan, but that doesnt mean I think Ivan was the messiah either. But I do find it funny that the Tamou and Hook fan club now paint Ivan as the devil. He did a f**king stellar job in 2014 with a massive injury toll. He is doing a magnificent job with the Tigers and helped develop some wonderful players. He has earned some respect from our club and it's fans and shouldnt be painted as something he isnt.

Trying to find a link. It was something like asked if anything good came from the game. He response was there is nothing good. I hope we never come to Darwin again. A coach shouldn't be talking like that

franklin2323

Immortal
Your first comment was spot on, comparing Ivan’s comments in that situation to Hooks recent comments is silly and not fair on Ivan at all.

Ivan did well to build us up. 2014 was a good year but also a crazy year for injuries and we didn't quite have the kids just yet. Easy to be down but still not what you want from a coach

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’m neither a Hook or an Ivan fan, I had issues with decisions both have made over the years.

But, I’m pleased to admit that I’ve was wrong about both. I think Ivan has shown this year what a good coach he is and I think being dumped by us has helped him see his short comings and improve to where he is now.

As others have said, I believe Hook has been the right man for our club, he’s hell bent on improving the culture of our club and It’s clear that’s he’s done that. Our team truely appear to love playing along side each other and are playing some great footy as a result.

I think it’s fair that we all get behind Hook now and watch the team continue to improve and having success.

Well done Hook, you have officially won me over.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m neither a Hook or an Ivan fan, I had issues with decisions both have made over the years.

But, I’m pleased to admit that I’ve was wrong about both. I think Ivan has shown this year what a good coach he is and I think being dumped by us has helped him see his short comings and improve to where he is now.

As others have said, I believe Hook has been the right man for our club, he’s hell bent on improving the culture of our club and It’s clear that’s he’s done that. Our team truely appear to love playing along side each other and are playing some great footy as a result.

I think it’s fair that we all get behind Hook now and watch the team continue to improve and having success.

Well done Hook, you have officially won me over.

I wasn't an Ivan fan don't think he has the killer instinct needed in top team. That said not sure Hook has that either.

One doesn't have favourites and rewards hard work and is good with kids. The other trusts players more then he should and is too defensive with tactics and selections.

soc123_au

Staff member
Phil Gould will be interviewing Josh Mansour at the stadium on Thursday night. Could be really good news or really bad news…
I imagine it will be good news. Last time the great man re signed at was announced just before kick off at a home game against Souths. The crowd went nuts & we won.

soc123_au

Staff member
I wasn't an Ivan fan don't think he has the killer instinct needed in top team. That said not sure Hook has that either.

One doesn't have favourites and rewards hard work and is good with kids. The other trusts players more then he should and is too defensive with tactics and selections.

I agree with you that Ivan was a bit conservative and slow to make changes until he was pretty much forced. To his credit he seems to have fixed that up since moving to the Tigers. Dropping Nofo would have been hard. He was the first player that anyone rated to get on "The Bus" publicly.

Pomoz

Bench
What about Yeo's interview? He praises everybody and talks about leaders (RCG) coming through with such modesty.

He reminds me of the sergeant in the Band of Brothers tv series which was based on true events that happened to an American airborne unit during WW2. The Lieutenant goes missing in action (PTSD), leaving his men without an officer in charge. After a fierce battle, a captain joins the men to take over in the Lieutenants absence. He calls the troop sergeant over and says something like 'the men didn't have lieutenant X to lead them but luckily they had a leader to look after them. The leader comforted those who were scared and cold, made sure the men got hot tea, always was the first to lead into battle, cared for the sick men and shared his food when he hadn't eaten himself. The men didn't need Lieutenant X, they already had a leader'. He looks at the Sergeant, who stares blankly at him. "You don't know who I'm talking about, do you Sergeant?". The Sergeant shakes his head. I'm talking about you Sergeant, you are their leader, they look to you and they follow you".

That's Yeo. Unassuming, no big noting himself, he just rolls up the sleeves and gets on with it just like that Sergeant (a real person BTW, what a hero). He talks about how good everybody else is. I'm talking about you, Yeo.

soc123_au

Staff member
I could say the same to you also.

I suggest you allow others (from you) to share their opinion without getting personal and abusive. If it bothers you that much, use the ignore button.
How did I get personal or abusive? Re read my original post. Show me an instance where I have ever denied anyone the right to an opinion.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with you that Ivan was a bit conservative and slow to make changes until he was pretty much forced. To his credit he seems to have fixed that up since moving to the Tigers. Dropping Nofo would have been hard. He was the first player that anyone rated to get on "The Bus" publicly.

Getting rid of Suli too would of been a big call. It is good when the good guys of the sport go well

Status
Not open for further replies.