What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
It wouldn't surprise me if a few clubs out there who are in need of a quality fullback made inquiries about whether DWZ could be enticed to leave the club. DWZ always wanted to play fullback and as he has shown is quality in the position and will only get better as this season progresses. While he is signed on till 2020 it is possible he could be allowed to leave to provide some breathing space in our salary cap.

Obviously, we will be fine for 2019, but given RCG, Cleary, Blake, JFH and a host of others are off contract at the end of that season end I think something has to give and one or more high profile players will almost certainly have to move on. Particularly given the fact we have this constant production line of quality young players coming thru many of whom are likely to develop into NRL stars.

It wouldn't be as big a problem if we weren't developing such quality young players. In recent times we just keep unearthing NRL quality players, in some respect's too many. Our production line it making it pretty impossible to manage our salary cap without some pain to be had in future.

According to Zero Tackle we have the following players off contract at the end of this season, Oliver Clark, Kaide Ellis, Jack Hethrington, Adam Keighran, Jarome Luai, Nick Lui-Tose, Soni Luke, Chad O'Donnell, Joey Peato, Tryone Phillips, Corey Waddell, Jayden Walker & Peter Wallace. Hopefully we can offer reasonable deals to the young guns such as Hethrington and Luai but I am not sure we will be able to match what they may receive from elsewhere.

kinghippo

Juniors
Our team has a 2 year window for the title.
With this current squad we have a good shot this year and next year.
After that we will loose players but our club has turned the corner I think and I recon we are going to be a top contender year in and year out.
DWZ could look for a bigger payday after his contract and good luck to him but unless he is released because Cleary wants to put pen to paper I can’t see him leaving, and don’t want to.
DWZ has been consistently good for us but he is obviously in the prime of his career, the last few years he has been starved of ball due to our backline issues but is showing how good he can be.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The guy who posted the rumour goes under the name of doddsy.....he may be linked to a local newspaper.

I think it's a different person. I follow him on twitter, not a whisper about DWZ. The masked Panther comes from his paper, I've never seen or heard him referred to as 'doddsy'.

Panthers on cusp of salary cap relief after Browne retirement
By Adam Pengilly
18 May 2018 — 5:13pm
The Panthers are closing in on salary cap dispensation for the freak injury which forced Tim Browne into premature retirement, freeing up money which could be used in its bid to retain boom halfback Nathan Cleary and a host of other stars.
League Central is considering an application to have Browne's contract lifted off their books next year after the forward suffered a serious bowel injury in an Intrust Super Premiership match earlier this year.

So severe were Browne's internal injuries doctors said they only ever saw the like of which in car crash victims, forcing the 30-year-old to hang up his boots early.

He was in intensive care for two days after being rushed to hospital following the incident.

Given the circumstances of Browne's injury, it's believed the NRL would be unlikely to knock back any request from the club to have the former Bulldogs forward's wages discounted from their player payment pool next year.

It's understood Penrith could have about an extra $300,000 to spend if the request is granted, but will have to soak up the remainder of Browne's contract this year.

It will provide Anthony Griffin's squad with wriggle room to bring in reinforcements next season if they wish, or perhaps front-load contracts of other players, such as Cleary, who they hope to retain beyond next year.

State of Origin contender Cleary heads a cast of Penrith stars off contract at the end of 2019, including Australian representative Reagan Campbell-Gillard, James Fisher-Harris and Viliame Kikau.
Browne's setback was the worst of a host of long-term injuries the Panthers suffered in the opening two months of the NRL season, including fellow prop Sam McKendry's third ACL tear.

Browne has since been employed to work in the front office of the Panthers, who signed him to a three-year deal before the start of the 2016 season.The issue of career-ending injuries and insurance payouts was thrust into the spotlight only a couple of years ago when the Eels and insurer QBE were at loggerheads over Anthony Watmough's knee injury and subsequent retirement.

Meanwhile, the Panthers' retention of Josh Mansour on a three-year deal was tempered with news Christian Crichton will be heading to the Bulldogs next year.Crichton, who has been an able replacement for Mansour after the Kangaroos representative suffered a shocking facial injury earlier this year, has signed with Canterbury until the end of 2021.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...-after-browne-retirement-20180518-p4zg5c.html

Kilkenny

Coach
The 200K long serving player allowance is not much in the salary cap scheme of things but I guess if McKendry & Wallace (who currently qualify) both retire as expected we get some benefit from that. As well as McKendry was contracted for next season so there is a saving there also.

Merrin, Maloney & Tamou all who began there NRL careers in 2009 will become eligible at the end of this season, as 10 year veterans across the game criteria, so we can use the 200K allowance on these players.

We need to find every dollar we can if we are going to be in a position to retain Cleary, RCG, Blake & Kikau who are the major big name players off contract at the end of 2019.

OldPanther

Coach
By Adam Pengilly
The Panthers are closing in on salary cap dispensation for the freak injury which forced Tim Browne into premature retirement, freeing up money which could be used in its bid to retain boom halfback Nathan Cleary and a host of other stars.
League Central is considering an application to have Browne's contract lifted off their books next year after the forward suffered a serious bowel injury in an Intrust Super Premiership match earlier this year.

So severe were Browne's internal injuries doctors said they only ever saw the like of which in car crash victims, forcing the 30-year-old to hang up his boots early.

He was in intensive care for two days after being rushed to hospital following the incident.

Given the circumstances of Browne's injury, it's believed the NRL would be unlikely to knock back any request from the club to have the former Bulldogs forward's wages discounted from their player payment pool next year.

It's understood Penrith could have about an extra $300,000 to spend if the request is granted, but will have to soak up the remainder of Browne's contract this year.

It will provide Anthony Griffin's squad with wriggle room to bring in reinforcements next season if they wish, or perhaps front-load contracts of other players, such as Cleary, who they hope to retain beyond next year.

State of Origin contender Cleary heads a cast of Penrith stars off contract at the end of 2019, including Australian representative Reagan Campbell-Gillard, James Fisher-Harris and Viliame Kikau.
Browne's setback was the worst of a host of long-term injuries the Panthers suffered in the opening two months of the NRL season, including fellow prop Sam McKendry's third ACL tear.

Browne has since been employed to work in the front office of the Panthers, who signed him to a three-year deal before the start of the 2016 season.The issue of career-ending injuries and insurance payouts was thrust into the spotlight only a couple of years ago when the Eels and insurer QBE were at loggerheads over Anthony Watmough's knee injury and subsequent retirement.

Meanwhile, the Panthers' retention of Josh Mansour on a three-year deal was tempered with news Christian Crichton will be heading to the Bulldogs next year.Crichton, who has been an able replacement for Mansour after the Kangaroos representative suffered a shocking facial injury earlier this year, has signed with Canterbury until the end of 2021.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...-after-browne-retirement-20180518-p4zg5c.html

Good throw it at Cleary.

Yeah training with Flegg now. Blore's both re-signed til 2020. Dean is full time next year backup half. Luai won't stay

Is he good?

OldPanther

Coach
The 200K long serving player allowance is not much in the salary cap scheme of things but I guess if McKendry & Wallace (who currently qualify) both retire as expected we get some benefit from that. As well as McKendry was contracted for next season so there is a saving there also.

Merrin, Maloney & Tamou all who began there NRL careers in 2009 will become eligible at the end of this season, as 10 year veterans across the game criteria, so we can use the 200K allowance on these players.

We need to find every dollar we can if we are going to be in a position to retain Cleary, RCG, Blake & Kikau who are the major big name players off contract at the end of 2019.

You have to play consecutive years for a club not NRL.

Tronald Crump

Juniors

franklin2323

Immortal
Is he good?

Yep he is a proper half. Can play 6 or 7. Goal kick.

The rest of the off contract guys for next year are Phillips, Hetherington, Ellis, Tui-Loso. We are short props coming through the grades. So I except we will aim to keep Hetherington. Depends on if other teams want Phillips shouldn't pay over min wage for backup wingers

Doddsy6988

Juniors
The guy who posted the rumour goes under the name of doddsy.....he may be linked to a local newspaper.
I am not linked to the newspaper.
I am a ticketed member and sit next to a gentleman who works with Dallins dad - Jo I believe.
He told me that DWZ has been advised to test the market and they would not stand in his way of he wanted out.

Again, take it with a grain of salt if you please, but just advising what I have been told from a reliable source

OldPanther

Coach
I am a ticketed member and sit next to a gentleman who works with Dallins dad - Jo I believe.
He told me that DWZ has been advised to test the market and they would not stand in his way of he wanted out.

Again, take it with a grain of salt if you please, but just advising what I have been told from a reliable source

Wouldn’t surprise me if it's true. Same thing that happened with Mansour.

soc123_au

Staff member

Listening to the podcast that someone linked here a few weeks ago where Gus discusses cap management, it seems he does this a lot. He uses is as a gauge to see a players true market value. It also would create loyalty with the players knowing that Gus wont stand in their way if they can get a serious pay rise. It seems that most of them stay, so not a bad thing.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

That’s the standard line to all the players. Nothing to worry about.

mxlegend99

Referee
By Adam Pengilly

Surely Browne was not on anything close to $300k a season. It was claimed he was on minimum wage at the time we signed him. Which seems more likely than being on a healthy $300k contract.

Hopefully his money does free up a chunk of cap space. $300k for Browne. $500k for Carty. Whatever Peachey is on... thats alot of cap space we didnt expect to have 6 months ago.

Also... how could we not get cap relief for this year for the injury? Eels got it on Watmough for an existing injury. Ours is a freak accident and its only maybe happening next year? That's bullshit.

martielang

Bench
Yep he is a proper half. Can play 6 or 7. Goal kick.

The rest of the off contract guys for next year are Phillips, Hetherington, Ellis, Tui-Loso. We are short props coming through the grades. So I except we will aim to keep Hetherington. Depends on if other teams want Phillips shouldn't pay over min wage for backup wingers

We’d be crazy not to hold onto Hetherington. Going to be a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.