What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues Riff

Bench
Also he's had preliminary talks with Gus, so the club would know where they stand, but of course according to the media, negotiations broke down and he'll now test the market.

mxlegend99

Referee
Also he's had preliminary talks with Gus, so the club would know where they stand, but of course according to the media, negotiations broke down and he'll now test the market.
The media rumours originate here.

I swear I saw both the Broncos and Roosters rumours start out here as speculation one of those clubs would be getting bothbClearys as a packagedeal. Neither of those had any legs to them.

Cleary will be making his decision after this season ends. His focus is on playing footy as it should be. Yet he has somehow become a villain for not signing his next contract more than a year before this one expires. Obviously sooner is better for the fans to know whether or not they love him or hate him.

betcats

Referee

We’d have an idea of where we stand. He is waiting till December so he is giving himself time to consider other offers.

OldPanther

Coach
We’d have an idea of where we stand. He is waiting till December so he is giving himself time to consider other offers.

I don't blame him. It is his job and a career that lasts 15 years at most he'll want to set himself up for after footy.

TheFrog

Coach
Given the nature of our club, there comes a point where Nathan Cleary isn't worth what he will cost us, in terms of opportunity cost. It is criminal that having put our resources into developing a champion player, that we receive precious little advantage over competitors in retaining him. This is why most clubs don't bother, they just wait for players to come off contract and poach them. Something really does need to be done about this.

blaza88z

Coach
Given the nature of our club, there comes a point where Nathan Cleary isn't worth what he will cost us, in terms of opportunity cost. It is criminal that having put our resources into developing a champion player, that we receive precious little advantage over competitors in retaining him. This is why most clubs don't bother, they just wait for players to come off contract and poach them. Something really does need to be done about this.

I don't think Cleary or his dad for that matter will be at Brisbane, it's just something that would suit us to the very core, given we have no halfback and Wayne is on the brink of retirement, I don't for a second expect it to happen but that would be absolutely ideal if it did.

I agree with your second comment, it is exactly what the Dragons did to us, they haven't been able to develop a quality half in god knows how long, so what did they do? They threw the bank at Ben Hunt, it robs clubs who put in the effort to find the talent and then develop them, it's the exact reason why Melbourne felt the need to rort the cap, why should you be forced to surrender your best players under cap pressure when other clubs don't even make an effort, look at this Roosters side ffs. 3 of their spine all come from other clubs

OldPanther

Coach

The longterm player allowance needs to be handled better. $300k for the entire club is a joke.

betcats

Referee
I don't think Cleary or his dad for that matter will be at Brisbane, it's just something that would suit us to the very core, given we have no halfback and Wayne is on the brink of retirement, I don't for a second expect it to happen but that would be absolutely ideal if it did.

I agree with your second comment, it is exactly what the Dragons did to us, they haven't been able to develop a quality half in god knows how long, so what did they do? They threw the bank at Ben Hunt, it robs clubs who put in the effort to find the talent and then develop them, it's the exact reason why Melbourne felt the need to rort the cap, why should you be forced to surrender your best players under cap pressure when other clubs don't even make an effort, look at this Roosters side ffs. 3 of their spine all come from other clubs

You cant seriously be complaining about poaching talent can you? Tevita Mapai Jnr and Milford say hello. It part of the game, trust me Brisbane benefit from it more than they lose. If you didn't spend big to poach Milford youd probably be running a ben hunt ash taylor halves combo right now.

IF clubs with all the juniors like the riff and donkeys are still poaching from other clubs then we cant really complain about it.

Black Magik

Juniors

The problem with the Cleary to Broncos scenario is what it would do to the NSW SoO team. Having the, potentially, NSW half at the biggest QLD franchise would work against building any dominance NSW would ever hope to get. Gus would be using all his powers to make sure the NSWRL are aware of this.

Besides...everyone knows Cleary and Cleary will be together in 2020 but at the Panthers. Cleary 2.0

mxlegend99

Referee
5% discount for every year a player spends at the club after debuting. No discount until after 5 years for players who made their debut elsewhere.

Cap it at 10 years... so a 10 year local player is only on the cap for half his value. A 10 year import is on it for 75% of his value.

Reward loyalty. Reward developing players.

betcats

Referee
5% discount for every year a player spends at the club after debuting. No discount until after 5 years for players who made their debut elsewhere.

Cap it at 10 years... so a 10 year local player is only on the cap for half his value. A 10 year import is on it for 75% of his value.

Reward loyalty. Reward developing players.

Off the top of my head we'd have:

Yeo - 4 years 20 percent discount.
Mansour - 8 years 40 percent
Dallin - 4 years 20 percent discount
RCG - 3 years 15 percent
Waqa - 3 years 15 percent
Sione Katoa - 3 years 15 percent
Cleary - 3 years 15 percent
Leota - 2 years 10 percent
Edwards - 2 years 10 percent

That's a huge advantage, way to much.

For 2020 we could offer cleary 2 mil a year and only count as 1.5 mil on the cap, that's a 500k you are saving on a 23 yo. Players would never leave their clubs, there needs to be some player movement and a player market otherwise the games f**ked.

Under the system Id just name every promising 18 year old that came along for a nothing game and then 5 years later you're saving 25 percent on them., by time they are 28 youre saving 50 percent.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Off the top of my head we'd have:

Yeo - 4 years 20 percent discount.
Mansour - 8 years 40 percent
Dallin - 4 years 20 percent discount
RCG - 3 years 15 percent
Waqa - 3 years 15 percent
Sione Katoa - 3 years 15 percent
Cleary - 3 years 15 percent
Leota - 2 years 10 percent
Edwards - 2 years 10 percent

That's a huge advantage, way to much.

For 2020 we could offer cleary 2 mil a year and only count as 1.5 mil on the cap, that's a 500k you are saving on a 23 yo. Players would never leave their clubs, there needs to be some player movement and a player market otherwise the games f**ked.

Under the system Id just name every promising 18 year old that came along for a nothing game and then 5 years later you're saving 25 percent on them., by time they are 28 youre saving 50 percent.
This is assuming players are happy to stay as backups. Most wouldn't wait around a few years. Plus you still have a limit on how many players you can keep.

It just gives incentives to players and club to remain loyal and develop their own players. It takes 4 seasons of NRL before a player is going to get a decent discount. If we had a $200k player he would only be getting a $40k cap discount. No bigger advantage than rich clubs with access to TPAs are getting. Only in this case it's the club that identified and invested in the player that benefits.

Plus there's nothing stopping Roosters from looking at our Under 20s and grabbing them before they've played NRL footy.

Why shouldn't we have an advantage in keeping the guys we want? We would still have a top 30 restriction, need exemptions for players and so on. It would take a few years before each player has accumulated much of a discount.

And most of the guys you mentioned are probably accepting less to stay here anyway. Mansour for example would probably cost the same in the cap but get a hell of a lot more in his pocket. He loses out due to his loyalty.

Big Mick

Referee
I like the idea in principle but I think it should be limited to 4 players.

That way there is still player movement.

End of the day we already have an advantage of a huge pipeline to choose from. I agree we should be rewarded for investing into that pipeline and developing all this talent.

But I think it being capped at 4 players would still give us an advantage in retaining local players while also not making us seem greedy.

betcats

Referee
This is assuming players are happy to stay as backups. Most wouldn't wait around a few years. Plus you still have a limit on how many players you can keep.

It just gives incentives to players and club to remain loyal and develop their own players. It takes 4 seasons of NRL before a player is going to get a decent discount. If we had a $200k player he would only be getting a $40k cap discount. No bigger advantage than rich clubs with access to TPAs are getting. Only in this case it's the club that identified and invested in the player that benefits.

Plus there's nothing stopping Roosters from looking at our Under 20s and grabbing them before they've played NRL footy.

Why shouldn't we have an advantage in keeping the guys we want? We would still have a top 30 restriction, need exemptions for players and so on. It would take a few years before each player has accumulated much of a discount.

And most of the guys you mentioned are probably accepting less to stay here anyway. Mansour for example would probably cost the same in the cap but get a hell of a lot more in his pocket. He loses out due to his loyalty.

I agree that we should reward loyalty and development but five percent a year from year 1 is a pretty big discount. If you’re two best players debuted at 20 or younger by time they are in their primes your getting a huge discount, it’s just too much imo. Development clubs like ours would go straight to the top and stay there.

betcats

Referee
I like the idea in principle but I think it should be limited to 4 players.

That way there is still player movement.

End of the day we already have an advantage of a huge pipeline to choose from. I agree we should be rewarded for investing into that pipeline and developing all this talent.

But I think it being capped at 4 players would still give us an advantage in retaining local players while also not making us seem greedy.

Exactly. I don’t want a big advantage over other clubs, we are already better off then a lot of them and i prefer to win an evenish competition.

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree that we should reward loyalty and development but five percent a year from year 1 is a pretty big discount. If you’re two best players debuted at 20 or younger by time they are in their primes your getting a huge discount, it’s just too much imo. Development clubs like ours would go straight to the top and stay there.
Better than clubs who dont develop anyone sitting at yhe top because they can get TPAs to take other teams best players.

All teams would have the same opportunity to get discounted players. Unlike TPAs where only thr top few get it.

This would give incentive for the rich clubs to do what we did with their juniors. They could invest money in areas with little to no support. We have a huge catchment area here and are still going well and truly outside of our area to develop players. But the rich teams are happy to do the bare minimum in developing players.

If they arent willing to do it. Let them sit at the bottom of the ladder. It's where the Roosters belong. It would also help prevent teams cheating. There's no need to cheat to keep the core of a team together.

OldPanther

Coach
Better than clubs who dont develop anyone sitting at yhe top because they can get TPAs to take other teams best players.

All teams would have the same opportunity to get discounted players. Unlike TPAs where only thr top few get it.

This would give incentive for the rich clubs to do what we did with their juniors. They could invest money in areas with little to no support. We have a huge catchment area here and are still going well and truly outside of our area to develop players. But the rich teams are happy to do the bare minimum in developing players.

If they arent willing to do it. Let them sit at the bottom of the ladder. It's where the Roosters belong. It would also help prevent teams cheating. There's no need to cheat to keep the core of a team together.

You'd also end up with clubs going broke to try and compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts