What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

You could say the same about Kikau, Api, Capewell, SOS, Naden etc. Virtually everyone who's left us in recent times has gotten worse.
Different players at different times in their careers. SOS is probably most similar, and he has played quite well.

Probably the four players at the most similar stages of their careers are Hopgood, Katoa, Laurie and Staines. Hopgood and Katoa did really well this year, albeit in slightly more solid set-ups. The one most similar to Burton is probably Laurie; not as talented but at least Luaire gives it a go and tries stuff. My biggest concern for Burton is he is staying in his comfort zone, isn’t trying new things and therefore isn’t improving. He is in a team that isn’t going anywhere in the short term; a great opportunity to throw caution to the wind, and try to develop parts of his game but he isn’t doing it. For me it is a wasted opportunity.

Best of luck to the kid. Hope he kills in there.

Doesn’t mention it in the article, but are the Bears still the Pinnacles Cup team? These NSW Cup teams seem to switch their allegiances every 5 minutes.

age.s

First Grade
Apart from the fact the players you mentioned all went to clubs outside the top eight they have all experienced bad runs with injuries. Hopefully, enjoy better fortune next season.
I mean, everyone who leaves Penrith goes to a worse club. That's kind of my point. The players themselves didn't change, they just aren't able to flourish in the same way outside our system.

Agree re better luck with injuries.

Big Mick

Referee
Not Penrith related 100%, but there is a potential swap on the cards with Olam going to Tigers and Blore going to Melbourne.

I fear what Blore will do at an actual good club.

Girds89

Bench
Maybe back in the day, but they pretty much all come back to 100% these days.

You say he only started 6 games at centre, but if you watch, he moves into centre all the through the game. He defended there plenty in the NRL side. I also know that he’s always been seen as a future centre and was working towards that prior to his injury.

He will do very well there, different to critter, he’ll be a Bradman best style, what we use to call “crash” centre.

Bradman best is 103kgs and built like a brick shithouse.

Taylan is probs sitting about 94 95 atm and is absolutely jacked. Im tipping he may shed a kg or 2 in the off season when the conditioning ramps up.

Hes a strong player and a strong runner but hes certainly not a bradman best or an old school crash player as you describe.

He uses his speed and great stepping to beat players.. yes he can take hard carrys and is hard to tackle but he is way way more than just a "crash" player.

Its
Burton is a Gun player, there is no doubting that. He’s play making and game management needs a lot of work.

His defence needs a lot of work.

His best attribute is his running game.

Always has been.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Taylan is probs sitting about 94 95 atm and is absolutely jacked. Im tipping he may shed a kg or 2 in the off season when the conditioning ramps up.

Hes a strong player and a strong runner but hes certainly not a bradman best or an old school crash player as you describe.

He uses his speed and great stepping to beat players.. yes he can take hard carrys and is hard to tackle but he is way way more than just a "crash" player.

Its

Always has been.
Best is awful

Big Mick

Referee

Its

Always has been.

If he turns out to be like a bigger Tahu in his prime at Centre I'd be happy.

Or like a better Whare - big enough to hit but good footwork.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Not Penrith related 100%, but there is a potential swap on the cards with Olam going to Tigers and Blore going to Melbourne.

I fear what Blore will do at an actual good club.

I tend to agree. W/T have had no idea about what even his skill set is. Under Bellamy he will shine like a new penny.

MugaB

Coach
Oh they change regularly. Thanks
Not really, they were with storm around the 2000s, for quite some time, then souths for a very long stint, then roosters for about 5 years till now... its only cone about due to Penrith having great pathways and development, that the roosters and other clubs like them are trying to to the same, leaving the bears without a 1st grade pathways, storm seems a better fit as they don't produce on mass what teams in Sydney do with their juniors

Iamback

Coach
Not really, they were with storm around the 2000s, for quite some time, then souths for a very long stint, then roosters for about 5 years till now... its only cone about due to Penrith having great pathways and development, that the roosters and other clubs like them are trying to to the same, leaving the bears without a 1st grade pathways, storm seems a better fit as they don't produce on mass what teams in Sydney do with their juniors

Storm need some here for the Sydney based fringes to go.

Soon they will see the light and run their own side

Latest posts