What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Putting aside that weird conversation completely, I think Turuva is another guy that has a heap of freak in him. He was employed as a battering last year because that’s what we needed, and he did extraordinarily well at it. Towards the end of the year though he started pulling out some freak plays. I can definitely see he and May swapping roles a bit next year to get Tito some ball in space to move.

Tago I agree, he also has a heap more to offer but hasn’t put together a season at full flight yet. At times last year he was unstoppable, just needs to find his consistency and best form at the right time.
100% agree, I think Tito was playing a little with in himself last year. Love to see him get some fullback time next year.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It is literally how it is done in Basketball, Cricket with only 2 good bowlers.

Split them up you ensure you are better for longer as opposed to dropping off when both are off
Come on now, it’s not cricket or basketball.

The reason they are so successful is because they work so well together, applying pressure on both sides of the ruck in attack and particularly in defence.

You start with one on the bench and you are giving the opposition an easier option on one side.

They both need to start and we need the young blokes to step up a notch off the bench. Which they will do.

Iamback

Coach
Come on now, it’s not cricket or basketball.

The reason they are so successful is because they work so well together, applying pressure on both sides of the ruck in attack and particularly in defence.

You start with one on the bench and you are giving the opposition an easier option on one side.

They both need to start and we need the young blokes to step up a notch off the bench. Which they will do.

Our team changes though.

you can't expect the side not to go backwards if say Henry and Smith are on together while Fish and Leota are both on the bench

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Our team changes though.

you can't expect the side not to go backwards if say Henry and Smith are on together while Fish and Leota are both on the bench
Of course we go backwards, we drop from crazy intensity, down to good intensity. Teams can’t match that. That’s what wins us games, we Gas them in that opening 20.

Starting Mose on the bench, would reduce that.

Iamback

Coach
Of course we go backwards, we drop from crazy intensity, down to good intensity. Teams can’t match that. That’s what wins us games, we Gas them in that opening 20.

Starting Mose on the bench, would reduce that.

Not if we let them off the hook for the 30 mins that bench guys are on for

Bob

Juniors

NRL 2024: Jarome Luai’s Wests Tigers starting position revealed​

Jarome Luai’s Wests Tigers signing has created a massive halves puzzle for the two clubs. One certainty is the Penrith five-eighth’s starting position in 2025.

Michael CarayannisAnalysis

@mcarayannis

3 min read
January 4, 2024 - 3:18PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...0005eb413a0c06f9a75d2c78a8710?amp#share-tools
NRL: Jarome Luai has finally put the ongoing speculation to bed and announced where he will go post 2024.
Wests Tigers signings Jayden Sullivan and Latu Fainu will have a 12-month shootout in a bid to partner Jarome Luai in the halves in 2025.

While Penrith are left with questions to answer around not only their long-term halves combination, but the shape of their entire roster.
Luai’s announcement on Wednesday that he will join the Tigers and become one of the game’s highest-paid players will have massive ramifications for the two clubs.
Penrith will give Daine Laurie, who returns from the Tigers on a one-year deal, a crack at five-eighth this season. While Jack Cole, who is under contract until the end of 2026, has long been earmarked as a future first grader.
Cole spent last year switching between the halves and centre in NSW Cup, but with Luai’s impending exit he too will be given every opportunity to become halfback Nathan Cleary’s right-hand man.
Penrith’s 2021 premiership winning squad.

Penrith’s 2021 premiership winning squad.

PANTHERS PRIORITIES

The Panthers had put off any contract talks with a host of off-contract players, including hooker Mitch Kenny and outside backs Sunia Turuva and Taylan May, as they waited to see if Luai would take up their upgraded three-year deal worth about $900,000 a season.
That will change this month when they formally speak with the trio about securing them on long-term deals.
But, still, they know rival clubs will be able to offer them more money.
The big decision revolves around how the Panthers want their post-Luai roster to look.
Do they stick with a cheaper, internal halves option and use that significant cap space to strengthen the rest of their squad?
Or do they dip into a near-barren open market?
Daine Laurie will get a shot at Penrith’s No.6 jersey. Picture: Justin Lloyd

Daine Laurie will get a shot at Penrith’s No.6 jersey. Picture: Justin Lloyd
Panthers prospect Jack Cole.

Panthers prospect Jack Cole.
The player pool has diminished quickly. Tom Dearden would have been a perfect signing but he inked a new deal with North Queensland last month, before Luai had made his decision.
Sydney Roosters duo Joey Manu and Luke Keary won’t play against their current club, even if Manu is flirting with a short move to rugby.
Brad Schneider, 22, has also arrived at the club on a two-year deal after stints with Canberra and Hull KR.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
People talk up Henry. He offers zero impact but would be handy early in games in making sure we don't let in early tries.

We saw it this year when Kenny and Luke both stayed on the field together
Henry will probably surprise you. He can provide impact if that’s his role, it’s just normally not.

I think he’s a big reason we chase Spencer so hard. Huge potential

Iamback

Coach
Henry will probably surprise you. He can provide impact if that’s his role, it’s just normally not.

I think he’s a big reason we chase Spencer so hard. Huge potential

I not saying he is bad. He reminds me of Christian Welsch. Who is a very good starting prop but no impact.

You get him starting for 30-35mins and then Leota the rest and you won't lose the middle.

Not so sure the other way around. Especially when you throw in a smaller hooker into the mix.
we saw it when Luke came on. Not so much the individuals but the mix didn't work

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I not saying he is bad. He reminds me of Christian Welsch. Who is a very good starting prop but no impact.

You get him starting for 30-35mins and then Leota the rest and you won't lose the middle.

Not so sure the other way around. Especially when you throw in a smaller hooker into the mix.
we saw it when Luke came on. Not so much the individuals but the mix didn't work
Sorry, but I definitely can’t see a comparison between him and Welch, I really can’t.

He’s Liam Henry and in time he’ll be challenging Mose and Fish, but for the time being, he should be used off the bench, just like Spencer was.

He will change your mind.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sorry, but I definitely can’t see a comparison between him and Welch, I really can’t.

He’s Liam Henry and in time he’ll be challenging Mose and Fish, but for the time being, he should be used off the bench, just like Spencer was.

He will change your mind.

I believe this season Henry will explode off the bench. Making some of us say.....'Spencer who'......

Sime_11

Juniors
you have to play Fish and Mose together - If Spencer couldn't get a start here - no way you give someone with little NRL experience a start, not to mention the added pressure to that player.

bash & tire the opposition from the get go = been a great plan, keep doing it until it's not effective

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Lol I try my best to avoid tramadol, try shungite rock it's Russian. The military used it in coldwar.

It's a wonderful long term painkiller. I have severe arthritis R/H and Osteo that affects my whole body. Can't walk without assistance......so kinda important.

(I do here what you're saying)

It will be interesting to see if Kenny, Tito, Tagno, May can be kept on. I would imagine also if Laurie shows his 2023 ability at 6 he also will be extended.

I can see Laurie playing 6 in cup most weeks as a development strategy for him.

Latest posts