What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Whino

Bench
This is Brandy a couple of days ago

The Panthers are keen to keep an integral part of their core, but a valuation of $700k might make it difficult to retain the NSW State of Origin player.

Board member Greg Alexander, however, is confident Koroisau will stay at the foot of the mountains for seasons to come.

“He was a great player at Manly and we were fortunate to get him and he has been a good signing,” Alexander said.

“Api is very important to us and Api will be there next year, we just need to sort out whether we can extend”.

chrisD

Coach
Feels like the 3 are waiting for us to miss out on one of the others so they can come back to us and say now you've got the money free to match what I can get elsewhere.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Feels like the 3 are waiting for us to miss out on one of the others so they can come back to us and say now you've got the money free to match what I can get elsewhere.
Since the journalists are too lazy to seek out their own stories, maybe we start something similar to the Hoy story.
1. Api has decided to accept Penrith's offer of a 2 year extension, as those other potential suitors have withdrawn their offers
2. Kikau is happy in Penrith and does not want to move his family. He is expected to sign an extended stay at Penrith next week.

This all came from the bloke who washes the towels, after they have showered. He overheard the conversations in the shower. You can take this to the bank.

Black Magik

Juniors
1. Api has decided to accept Penrith's offer of a 2 year extension, as those other potential suitors have withdrawn their offers
2. Kikau is happy in Penrith and does not want to move his family. He is expected to sign an extended stay at Penrith next week.
That is great news. Well done Penrith management. Very happy to see both players re-committing to the mighty Panthers.

Hooked

Juniors
If the club isn't offering a Api a new contract. The only thing reason I see is a rival is prepared to pay considerably more.
I am sure the club has expressed a verbal figure and length at the very least. His manager is definitely playing games. Twice now he has leaked to mole. Both times trying to panic/pressure the club.

Girds89

Bench
You asked why I didn't have Tago locked in. I said he is a forward.

As for the others. We lost 3 centres this season.
If we used 4 centres last year.
Similar the year before. Not much on the market so chances are we moved guys we have from other positions.

Let's say we go with Tago at centre and run this 17

Edwards
Staines
Tago
Critta
To'o
Luai
Cleary
Leota
Api
JFH
Kiks
Martin
Yeo

Kenny
Leinu
Sorensen
Hopgood

Say the injury prone Edwards goes down. Or Staines gets a HIA who covers? Is Sorensen a good enough 2nd rower?

We lost a centre that could cover the halves
A 2nd rower that could cover centre
A 14 that filled in at 1, 6, 7, 9, 12 and 13 across the season. May was un planned so the 17 make up is to be sorted.

Tago being a direct replacement for Capewell plugs a gap. Should it play out that way

You dont play someone on the bench who will be your best option starting centre at this stage just because theres a chance of injuries.

If edwards goes down you move critta to fb and yeo to defend in the centres or kenny could defend there. Kenny is no slower than tmay.

If staines or tiny gets a hia critta to wing kenny to centre.

The reality is the good teams deal with injuries throughout a game and not make excuses.

To carry tago on the bench and limit his mins just because we MIGHT need injury cover is crazy. Hes an 80 minute player.

If the club our that worried about that than sign tex hoy. Can play 1-6 and could fill in at 9 and 13 in a pinch.

We need to mix up our gane and develop our attack. We saw in the finals teams started to work us out and they had burton pretty well covered. Him and tago are different style of players. I think he will be the x factor.

Isaac A

Juniors
You dont play someone on the bench who will be your best option starting centre at this stage just because theres a chance of injuries.

If edwards goes down you move critta to fb and yeo to defend in the centres or kenny could defend there. Kenny is no slower than tmay.

The reality is the good teams deal with injuries throughout a game and not make excuses.

To carry tago on the bench and limit his mins just because we MIGHT need injury cover is crazy. Hes an 80 minute player.

If the club our that worried about that than sign tex hoy. Can play 1-6 and could fill in at 9 and 13 in a pinch.

We need to mix up our gane and develop our attack. We saw in the finals teams started to work us out and they had burton pretty well covered. Him and tago are different style of players. I think he will be the x factor.
Agree 100%. Other option is Turuva or Salmon on bench & Tago can push in. Similar to what Critta did for us at start of 2020.

Iamback

Coach

We won the comp by putting our best outside back on the wing.
You pick the best 17 to win games whether you put guys elsewhere to do that

Panther Mick

Juniors
@Blade23 any truth to this (this guy is close to Gus so might’ve been leaked by Gus)
From The Mole:
Penrith are playing hardball with premiership-winning hooker Api Koroisau.

Wide World of Sports has learned that the premiers have told the classy dummy half that they can't offer him a contract beyond his current deal, which expires at the end of next season.

But at the same time, the Panthers are refusing to release Koroisau for 2022 to enable him to sign one last long-term deal.

There is not one qoute from anyone. Nothing from the club, the player, or the player's agent.
Just unsourced speculation.

Iamback

Coach
I’m one of sizeable minority of fans who think we are paying Api too much.

The issue is then. Who can do a decent enough job for cheaper?
Api is top 3 in Run metres.
Tackles
Runs a game

How far can the side drop in those categories and still be good.

That is what you weigh up in these decisions.