What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
I know Fifita is a great 2nd Rower, but how about Props, are we going into the market for one of those as well? Fish won’t be here next year which kinda necessitates prioritising a replacement.

As Cameron said we will talk to any player that can add to the team.

Sorro gives us flexibility if we find a backrower instead.

This pack would still be a top 4 pack

Leota
Kenny
Smith
Martin
Fifita
Yeo

Sorro
Henry

soc123_au

Staff member
Titans moved him to the right he’s played on the left plenty also
Yeah, I remember when he first hit the scene, he did plenty of damage playing on the left. Assuming we sign him it would depend which way we go filling the other prop spot, if Martin moves then play him on the right, if Martin stays back row play him on the left.

I'd be keeping Garner either way & he seems ok either side, so we have options.

First job is to get that signature on the dotted line.

Iamback

Coach
People on the interweb are complaining that its not fair that the Penrith club are poaching other club's players.
All I can say is that one has to measure up the players we have lost over the past 4 years, and to put our position in a further context, the last marquee player we signed was James Maloney way back in 2018.

The loss of JFH has freed up the funds. IMO, I don't think he will come, as it seems apparent that the Panthers wont offer him a million dollar deal.

But, on the other side of the coin, he has a chance of winning a few premierships with us. He has to weigh up what is going to be paramount in his footballing career.

Also, it will benefit the Qld SOO side after a few months of being coached by Cleary and his assistants and playing in a team of champions.

Regardless in what happens with the Fifita talks, there will be a solid plan B.

We didn't get into stupid bidding wars to keep guys like Turuva. That has allowed us to do this

Iamback

Coach
Yeah, I remember when he first hit the scene, he did plenty of damage playing on the left. Assuming we sign him it would depend which way we go filling the other prop spot, if Martin moves then play him on the right, if Martin stays back row play him on the left.

I'd be keeping Garner either way & he seems ok either side, so we have options.

First job is to get that signature on the dotted line.

Garner off the bench is decent enough

soc123_au

Staff member
People on the interweb are complaining that its not fair that the Penrith club are poaching other club's players.
All I can say is that one has to measure up the players we have lost over the past 4 years, and to put our position in a further context, the last marquee player we signed was James Maloney way back in 2018.

The loss of JFH has freed up the funds. IMO, I don't think he will come, as it seems apparent that the Panthers wont offer him a million dollar deal.

But, on the other side of the coin, he has a chance of winning a few premierships with us. He has to weigh up what is going to be paramount in his footballing career.

Also, it will benefit the Qld SOO side after a few months of being coached by Cleary and his assistants and playing in a team of champions.

Regardless in what happens with the Fifita talks, there will be a solid plan B.
Lose 8 or 9 rep quality players over the past few years, maybe sign one back. sAlARy CaP iN cRiSiS....

f**k the sooks.

The Realist

Juniors
RE: David Fifita - I am as excited as anyone. He could fill the Kikau void, and on his day is unstoppable.

However I can't help feel there is a tinge of risk here. He could be one of those guys who rests on his laurels, depends on his ability but isn't willing to work hard.

Guys like Fish, Leota and Kikau all developed under our system (Yes I know we got Kik's from NQ but we got him young enough) and hence have the right attitude.

Fifita is well known for drifting in and out of games and also between games. He can go 2 games in a row were you barely notice he exists.

Also, can we get him fit enough? Kikau became a 70+ minute a game player which is incredible for his size.

So, say we give Fifita 900K for 3-4 seasons and he is lazy and has an attitude we can't fix because it developed being a star player in a horrible team.

IMO this is a big risk, but I think it is well worth taking given the upside. Whoever is handling this deal will have to do a good job of assessing his character in meetings.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Canberra have had a couple of goes at him. 2022, and just recently as last year. Him and his partner toured their facilities. They offered him a 2.7 mil deal over 3 years. He knocked it back. Not prepared to take less than he is on.
I hope his mind has changed.

Wizardman

First Grade
Canberra have had a couple of goes at him. 2022, and just recently as last year. Him and his partner toured their facilities. They offered him a 2.7 mil deal over 3 years. He knocked it back. Not prepared to take less than he is on.
I hope his mind has changed.
Canberra and Penrith are in two totally different situations. He'd be much more likely to take the 2.5 from there than the 2.7 from Canberra.

Latest posts