What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Fangs

Coach
So is Thursday our burning platform or not?

I want us to get a picture of Fifita in a Panthers jersey.

The yak

Juniors
Personal relationships are so important. That has to give the Roosters a slight advantage. The Panthers very rarely win any contract negotiations,Uncle Nick wrote the book on it, so I expect Fifita to become a Rooster.

According to Andrew Webster he is close to Spencer too.

Neither was Barrett when he initiated Api coming back.
With some players its all about relationships.
Barrett wasn’t the reason Api came back. It was Cleary, who had coached him earlier during his first stint at Penrith. Why do you think Cleary got so emotional giving Api his grand final jersey in 2022?

Roosters rule

Juniors
Barrett wasn’t the reason Api came back. It was Cleary, who had coached him earlier during his first stint at Penrith. Why do you think Cleary got so emotional giving Api his grand final jersey in 2022?

That is incorrect.

Barrett initiated Api coming back.
I am not dismissing Cleary's relationship with Api, but Barrett was a major contributing factor in Api coming back to Penrith.

This is further proof from Api.

However also there at the time as Cleary's assistant was Barrett, who ended up luring the Fijian international to Manly the following year.
Barrett, was of course himself pushed out of Brookvale in mid-2018.
With the musical chairs hopefully finally over and done with, Koroisau, Cleary and Barrett are now all back together at the Panthers, with Barrett again crucial in recruiting the dynamic rake.
"It was close between a few clubs there but 'Baz' was massive in bringing me to Penrith," said Koroisau, who will commute from the northern beaches.

Similar story from The Australian
www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/trent-barrett-the-trump-card-in-penriths-api-koroisau-swoop/news-story/87aa75ccf649e654c7c1c49db81fba40&ved=2ahUKEwji_6G_pP2FAxWoZfUHHXCwAA0QFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2HdY5ntIiDAQ7yRRaJbCr6

The Tel
www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/penrith-shock-bulldogs-in-stunning-move-to-secure-signature-of-api-koroisau/news-story/34bbbe7da916a57707cde2aa19978fb0&ved=2ahUKEwji_6G_pP2FAxWoZfUHHXCwAA0QFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3RQfo1PgX4tS5u7etbqesR

Relationships matter to some players.

age.s

First Grade
Yeah, fun as it is to meme on a guy like Holbrook, there's no way relationships with the broader coaching staff are irrelevant to a player when weighing up a decision like this.

Still, reading between the lines, it looks like a part of what's motivating Fifita is the opportunity to see what he could become in the right environment. While the Roosters aren't a basket case, you'd expect we'll be well ahead in that aspect. Hopefully its enough.

WestyLife

First Grade
Your mob is in the box seat. Anything can happen with negotiations though. Holbrook is our ace up our sleeve.

We want to keep Gussy.
I think if we did land Fifi. Gussy wouldn't come to Penrith. Gussy was a private school rugby boy, who lives in the inner city. I don't see him looking outside that bubble. NRL related at least. Plenty of crap has been speculated over him, but a lot of is is misinformation. I think he stays with us.

I've seen enough nrl to know Roosters are always in the box seat so to speak 😂

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Wouldn't it be nice for Fifita and Burton to sign, than go after May to replace Leota when he retires. The rest of the clubs will forfeit each game and the NRL would have to submit. No more NSW vs QLD, they both need to be Panrith. Fantasy fairytale I know.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s been a while since our club has secured a true marquee signing given our priorities have been developing from within.

There has been some talk in the media that perhaps signing someone such as David Fifita May not be a good fit us, but his match winning capabilities on his day certainly can’t be questioned.

I’ll reserve my judgement one way or the other until it happens. If nothing else I think it would be a huge boost for the fan base given how many players we have lost over this journey in the past four seasons.

Kilkenny

Coach
Wouldn't it be nice for Fifita and Burton to sign, than go after May to replace Leota when he retires. The rest of the clubs will forfeit each game and the NRL would have to submit. No more NSW vs QLD, they both need to be Panrith. Fantasy fairytale I know.
Just in respect of Matt Burton personally I wouldn’t see a lot of upside in him returning.

I think for 2025 at the very least I am comfortable seeing what Jack Cole can deliver. At the very least we may benefit from a 5/8 who plays much more direct.

Jerome Luai has been great for us, terrific player, very good defensively, but like some have suggested maybe we have to evolve from his style And will benefit from a different style of 5/8.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Just in respect of Matt Burton personally I wouldn’t see a lot of upside in him returning.

I think for 2025 at the very least I am comfortable seeing what Jack Cole can deliver. At the very least we may benefit from a 5/8 who plays much more direct.

Jerome Luai has been great for us, terrific player, very good defensively, but like some have suggested maybe we have to evolve from his style And will benefit from a different style of 5/8.
I would like him back at centre and do a Yeo to lock. Jack Cole always injured. I think Schneider would be my shot after that Laurie. But I can't see Laurie staying

Kilkenny

Coach
I would like him back at centre and do a Yeo to lock. Jack Cole always injured. I think Schneider would be my shot after that Laurie. But I can't see Laurie staying
I really like Daine Laurie as a player and person he can do a job at 5/8 just not a natural in the position, fullback is his best gig and on that basis I think he would be best served looking for opportunities elsewhere to play more often at the top level. He may have to look at the ESL there are very few opportunities in the NRL.

MugaB

Coach
Your mob is in the box seat. Anything can happen with negotiations though. Holbrook is our ace up our sleeve..
of course you want keep gussy... you want to keep everything..

Holbrook will be the coach of the 18th team, he'll be gone to to that come halfway thru the 2025 season, I daresay fifita will be stuck with highbrow tomato faced robbo and his elite coaching skills..... bwahahahaha
BTW how was Holbrook coaching at the titans unlocking David's career? I'd really be suggesting to NOT let Holbrook anywhere near fafita, it would certainly steer him our way

Kilkenny

Coach
Personally, I just hope the Fifita situation doesn’t drag on one way or the other.

We‘ve endured a lot of pain with our high profile ‘outgoings’ will they stay or won’t they. It is painful to go through, particularly when the majority have taken the money and left.

I really don’t want this situation to drag on only to discover he goes to the Roosters. Stay at the Titans fine, go the the Dragons or any other club I’m good with that, but I don’t want to endure a situation where we are supposedly in the box seat only to see him sign with the Roosters.

If we sign him great, he is a huge acquisition albeit I have some reservations, but I just don’t want the Roosters to sign him period.