What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
No elite player will join us. $850k is a lot. But elite players will want more. Elite players dont sign for unders for clubs that aren’t Broncos or Roosters.

We got Maloney because of Sharks wanting Moylan and it basically being a straight swap. He was probably market value anyway.

We got Tamou by paying overs.

We got Merrin by paying overs.

We cant even keep all our own elite players for similar or equal money. Critter left for the same money we offered. Turuva left for just a bit more.

Only players we can sign are guys wanting an opportunity to better themselves.

Elite players very rarely switch clubs.

Who we should be targetting are the promising guys on the fringe of Origin.

Who as you said want to get better so come here and put the work in

Iamback

Coach
That might have to be the option. Plan B if we can't get anyone decent. Sign a Su'a like player for Garner and grab a mid prop to get us through 2025. Then upgrade 2026.

short term deal sure. But I don't want to waste the cap filling out the squad on average players only for an elite guy to become available who we no longer can afford

Roosters rule

Juniors
Stick to what you are good at. You are good at developing players in your area, and country areas.
You are good at turning average journeymen into very good players.
Recruiting top liners to Penrith has always been a struggle.

Fifi was always a bright lights big city player. A player we do well at recruiting.
Read Michael Chammas story this morning on how we got Fifi. It underlines the importance of relationships (Holbrook) and the personal touches of Businessmen bullshit. Uncle Nick and Gould do well at. Some sneer at it, but they close out deals.

You can try with Gussy, but I think it will be a waste of time. He is an inner city boy, who plays for inner city clubs.

AFB, JFH, Lomax, Capewell and Fifi were all contracted players that have changed clubs over the past 6 months. For differing reasons.

Someone will come up.

Roosters rule

Juniors
of course you want keep gussy... you want to keep everything..

Holbrook will be the coach of the 18th team, he'll be gone to to that come halfway thru the 2025 season, I daresay fifita will be stuck with highbrow tomato faced robbo and his elite coaching skills..... bwahahahaha
BTW how was Holbrook coaching at the titans unlocking David's career? I'd really be suggesting to NOT let Holbrook anywhere near fafita, it would certainly steer him our way

You are more than a sandwich short of a picnic.

Frankus

Juniors
Stick to what you are good at. You are good at developing players in your area, and country areas.

Fifi was always a bright lights big city player. A player we do well at recruiting.
Read Michael Chammas story this morning on how we got Fifi. It underlines the importance of relationships (Holbrook) and the personal touches of Businessmen bullshit. Uncle Nick and Gould do well at. Some sneer at it, but they close out deals.

You can try with Gussy, but I think it will be a waste of time. He is an inner city boy, who plays for inner city clubs.

AFB, JFH, Lomax, Capewell and Fifi were all contracted players that have changed clubs over the past 6 months. For differing reasons.

Someone will come up.
Well said. I can certainly understand the allure of living in the Eastern Suburbs, Lower North Shore, etc to play for the Roosters but what I can not grasp is why players say they want to win a premiership and don't join the current powerhouse of competition. I mean isn't that why they turn up? To win the comp? I don't see how joining the Roosters places them in that position - no disrespect to Easts, they are a solid top 8 side but can't see them winning a comp throughout the length of his contract. Just my opinion of course and I don't know shit about RL.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Someone will come up.
That's all well and good but the Roosters aren't a very good side atm. I can't see a premiership in the next 3 years at least

betcats

Referee
Dissapointing but shit happens. Hard to out recruit when they have so much cap available. At least they should be out of the forward market now leaving us with out a tough team to try and out negotiate for whoever the next best option is.

Personally now I feel like we should try for next year to look who is available at the cup/flegg level. Get someone young and highly athletic and then go hard at the good crop of forwards available for 26.

Not that long ago, posters on this forum described Fifita as Bryce Cartwright Mk.2, with the Tarzan jibe thrown in.
Personally I am glad he went elsewhere, David Riccio questioned what sort of impact he would on the playing group culture.
Roosters can have their "Fifi".

Pomoz

Bench

Someone will come up.
Summed up perfectly. Having lived in Paddington, Surry Hills and Penrith I feel qualified to comment on the "bright lights, big city" viewpoint. The Eastern Suburbs is a wonderful place to live if you can afford it and are of a certain age and don't have kids. You want nights out, access to night clubs, restaurants, cafes, live entertainment, its all on your doorstep. Not that many people with young kids though and that is where Penrith is good and getting better. It is a wonderful place to bring up kids, more space, less traffic, bigger houses and gardens and plenty of other families with kids to mingle with. The facilities at Penrith will only improve as the economic benefits of Badgery's Creek take hold.

Fafita has no children and won't be having any for a while with a missus who is also a professional sportswoman. The Eastern Suburbs would be perfect for him. Lifestyle is important and he will get it in spades at the Roosters. Hopefully, sporting success, not so much.

MugaB

Coach
You are more than a sandwich short of a picnic.
Come here to gloat, even though the party line you're toeing is Holbrook past history bullshit got this deal done... hahaha what a crock... when really its diamond rings go to the Mrs, and big fat contract at the nrlw side, while you snatch big fifi on unders ffs... mate go for it, gloat all you want, he won't win you a trophy, he can't even defend well, did nothing at the titans, and will end up a noose on you neck at the Roosters, I'm actually glad this happened, coz we can go forth and use that money on someone who would work for it, rather than skate off of brawn and talent... hopefully robbo gets the arse coz he can't speak footballer to the meathead

maple_69

Bench
Su'a really could be the best fit. Plenty of talent, seems to keep to himself and a two year contract could really suit him to get back in the rep frame & set up his last deal. He's the type of no nonsense guy we probably get the best out of.

That would buy us time to line up a young replacement that really fits the bill. Hopgood, Pole, Cotter, Leniu, Thompson, Willison, Nikora, Papali'i, Pearce-Paul, all off contract after 25 and could all be solid options depending on what the club thinks we need.

Munky

Coach
Uncle Nick doesn't need paper bags since he is one of the most connected blokes in Australia.

He can get his players in on initial capital raisings for high return unlisted investment vehicles none of us has ever heard of.

The best we can do is send a player to Jim's Financial Planning in a converted fibro house on Henry St. Putting excess cash in a Vanguard Fund can't compete.

Many years ago I saw this in reality. Sell before you hold the bag.

A 10x return just a month or so after listing.

1000007202.jpg

MugaB

Coach
Su'a really could be the best fit. Plenty of talent, seems to keep to himself and a two year contract could really suit him to get back in the rep frame & set up his last deal. He's the type of no nonsense guy we probably get the best out of.

That would buy us time to line up a young replacement that really fits the bill. Hopgood, Pole, Cotter, Leniu, Thompson, Willison, Nikora, Papali'i, Pearce-Paul, all off contract after 25 and could all be solid options depending on what the club thinks we need.
Too right, to me he is damaging backrower, probably cheaper than big fifi at the Roosters, and most probably smarter too, not to mention absolutely can defend, he is right up Ivans alleyway

MugaB

Coach
Uncle Nick doesn't need paper bags since he is one of the most connected blokes in Australia.

He can get his players in on initial capital raisings for high return unlisted investment vehicles none of us has ever heard of.

The best we can do is send a player to Jim's Financial Planning in a converted fibro house on Henry St. Putting excess cash in a Vanguard Fund can't compete.

Many years ago I saw this in reality. Sell before you hold the bag.

A 10x return just a month or so after listing.

View attachment 87763
...and really bad at golf....

Roosters rule

Juniors
Well said. I can certainly understand the allure of living in the Eastern Suburbs, Lower North Shore, etc to play for the Roosters but what I can not grasp is why players say they want to win a premiership and don't join the current powerhouse of competition. I mean isn't that why they turn up? To win the comp? I don't see how joining the Roosters places them in that position - no disrespect to Easts, they are a solid top 8 side but can't see them winning a comp throughout the length of his contract. Just my opinion of course and I don't know shit about RL.

Penrith were the smart play to win a comp. Players often change their mind once money rolls in. @Munky hit the nail on the head with investments.
There will more buys for us to plug the gaps in the rest of the squad. That is what we do. Broncos should be worried.

Roosters rule

Juniors
Come here to gloat, even though the party line you're toeing is Holbrook past history bullshit got this deal done... hahaha what a crock... when really its diamond rings go to the Mrs, and big fat contract at the nrlw side, while you snatch big fifi on unders ffs... mate go for it, gloat all you want, he won't win you a trophy, he can't even defend well, did nothing at the titans, and will end up a noose on you neck at the Roosters, I'm actually glad this happened, coz we can go forth and use that money on someone who would work for it, rather than skate off of brawn and talent... hopefully robbo gets the arse coz he can't speak footballer to the meathead

If I came here to gloat I would have been on here yesterday afternoon trolling like that Tigers and ryhno idiot. I don't roll like that.
I have a foot in both clubs.

All my posts offer insights. You are free to listen to them, or disagree, or keep scrolling. .I am happy to converse with most. I don't really care what you think about my club. I listen to the people I trust and respect. You are not one of them.

I will do both us a favour and pop you on mute.

mxlegend99

Referee
If I came here to gloat I would have been on here yesterday afternoon trolling like that Tigers and ryhno idiot. I don't roll like that.
I have a foot in both clubs.

All my posts offer insights. You are free to listen to them, or disagree, or keep scrolling. .I am happy to converse with most. I don't really care what you think about my club. I listen to the people I trust and respect. You are not one of them.

I will do both us a favour and pop you on mute.
I think most of us value your posts. I don’t see it as gloating.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

Taking the news well bro i see...