What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2010

schnitzel

Juniors
Very quiet on recruitment front.....

Whispers of Mick Monas coming back.

Another about Matt Scott, Cowboys and Maroons prop, joining us.

Also looking to buy Krisnan Inu out of Parra contract.

All good options IMO.

Anything else on horizon????

In RLW the Mole section

Brothers In Arms #2
Canberra are yet to sign anyone for 2010 and have plenty of money to spend too.I'm hearing Michael Monaghan who is currently with Warrington, is a strong chance of returning home to play alongside brother Joel

This rumour does not seem to die

Macko8

Juniors
matt scott would be a good signing.
I doubt inu would want to play for us.
mick might just be that playmaking spark we need,where to play him???hooker?half?

Cryptic

Juniors
I would play him at hooker... He has played there before and has the footy brain we need in the position week in and week out. While our current line up did well last week we have hardly been consistant enough to say it works... Plus we can still run Waddell/Flannagan off the bench and swap them over if Michael needs a rest (being that AU NRL is about 10 levels above EU Super League).

mongoose

Coach
Wonder why the cowboys havent resigned Scott, didnt they let go of tronc as well?

Inu is no chance

Not sure why the club isnt doing everything in their power to get Mick Monas back here. He's a local junior, his brother plays for us. He could play hooker, halfback and 5/8. We would look very strong for 2010 with him on the roster.

Cant understand why they dont want to sign Mick either especially condsidering he said he WANTS to come to the Raiders! Monas and Campo would have to be close to the best halves pairing in the comp if both are playing the way they can. For those who say he is too old, only played 1 good season etc look at Kimmorly and the influence he hasa at the Bulldogs. Dogs fans didnt want him at the start of the yr and sharks fans have finally realised how good he was for them.

Timbo

Staff member
I'd play him at half as I think that with his experience, you'd finally see Tongue trusting his half and staying the f**k out of 1st reciever.

Scott would be a good pickup also.

shear_joy9

Coach
I doubt canberra will sign anyone. Furner said he wasn't expecting any aswell.

M. monaghan would have to play for peanuts if he was to come, plus where would you play him? He play's hooker for warrington, but I'd prefer to stick with buttriss and waddell; I'd also prefer Campo and McCrone.

As for Inu; I'd prefer a paper bag floating around the field to him. Who would want to sacrifice a vidot/croker for him? His wages alone would nearly trump dugan/croker/vidot combined.

Where did this Matt Scott rumour come from? Like monaghan, he would have to play for peanuts to come here.

Timbo

Staff member
Why would they have to play for peanuts?

If we're anywhere near the cap, management should be led outside and beheaded. We're nowhere approaching the talent levels of a salary cap.

Even if we are, we should be able to shed guys like Kelly, Turner and Purtell to free up cap space.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
Wonder why the cowboys havent resigned Scott, didnt they let go of tronc as well?

Inu is no chance

Not sure why the club isnt doing everything in their power to get Mick Monas back here. He's a local junior, his brother plays for us. He could play hooker, halfback and 5/8. We would look very strong for 2010 with him on the roster.

Tronc is dead wood - great stats, but zero impact. We're trying to offload Webb to ESL too, but we haven't had a lot of interest.

Problem #1 is that Thurston comes off contract at the end of the year, and resigning him is the biggest priority (though re-signing Scott is a close second)

Problem #2 is that we've bought a lot of players recently on decent money - Burns and Harris last season, Tonga, Kaufusi and Manuokafoa this season, although the last two have been duds. If we are to re-sign Scott, we need to free up some money under the cap and his means we have to let some players go.

Rumour has it that the Broncos are very interested in Matt Scott also. He's got stacks of potential, and he's very young (23 I believe). Most front-rowers don't hit their peak until their late 20s. He'd be a great pickup for any club, because quality front-rowers are fairly rare these days. Cowboys have to juggle the salary cap to fit him.

He'd be a great signing for you as well - you need some muscle up front - but the tricky part would be convincing him to move to Canberra.

Mick Monaghan would be great for you guys. Campese would be playing at his peak consistently if he had an organiser to partner him in the halves, and to back him up if he isn't playing well.

Cletus

First Grade
I would play him at hooker... He has played there before and has the footy brain we need in the position week in and week out. While our current line up did well last week we have hardly been consistant enough to say it works... Plus we can still run Waddell/Flannagan off the bench and swap them over if Michael needs a rest (being that AU NRL is about 10 levels above EU Super League).

I saw him playing for Warrington last week and he seemed to be playing hooker with the seven on his back. He always wanted to play halfback but seems to always be put into hooker eventually.

Cryptic

Juniors
I could see him being a half in the ESL but not in the NRL. The NRL requires halves to be a bit faster than I think Michael has the footwork to be. However being a ball playing hooker who can go nuts for 20-30 minutes then get changed out for Waddell would be an awesome spot for him IMO.

I think he is a bit like Tongue... Was a half growing up but just doesn't have the speed to do it at this level, can still easily be a ball playing forward though (like Tongue in lock).

As for Scott I would welcome him joining up as well. We need some bigger forwards to fill the void if Logan disapears or we have a few injuries to the bigger men out there. We don't need 2nd rowers though... I think we are more than OK in our depth in regards to the 2nd row....

Timbo

Staff member
Mick Monnas is no slowpoke.

We need him in the #7 to play as an organiser, and let Campese and Flanagan be our 'running playmakers'.

shear_joy9

Coach
Why would they have to play for peanuts?

If we're anywhere near the cap, management should be led outside and beheaded. We're nowhere approaching the talent levels of a salary cap.

I've been saying that for 10 years.

All the funds freed from players leaving just get put into contract renewals. Campese' year salary is atleast doubling and a big payrise for TLL will ensure there's not much spare cash.

Plus there is a few players that will demand bigger contracts in 2010; dugan, croker, carney, thurling, tilse, herbert/mccrone

K-Man

Bench
Whoever picks up Matt Scott will have made a very good signing indeed. Plenty of clubs out there could use a decent front-rower as well.

Timbo

Staff member
Any suggestions we should have Herbert or McCrone ahead of Monaghan...It's like suggesting we can't accomodate Phil Graham for another season because we might lose Brett Kelly. Madness.

I would like to see this next year:

1. Josh DUGAN
2. Daniel VIDOT
3. Jarrod CROKER
4. Joel MONAGHAN
5. Justin CARNEY
6. Terry CAMPESE
7. Michael MONAGHAN
8. Matt SCOTT
9. Stuart FLANAGAN
10. David SHILLINGTON
11. Tom LEAROYD-LAHRS
12. Bronson HARRISON
13. Alan TONGUE (c)

14. Travis WADDELL
15. Joel THOMPSON
16. Dane TILSE
17. Trevor THURLING

Jeez... Look at that forward pack. Everyone in the forward pack bar Flanagan played in representative games. Plus the young and talented backline. If we could get that team together, we could be one great team in the future.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I would like to see this next year:

1. Josh DUGAN
2. Daniel VIDOT
3. Jarrod CROKER
4. Joel MONAGHAN
5. Justin CARNEY
6. Terry CAMPESE
7. Michael MONAGHAN
8. Matt SCOTT
9. Stuart FLANAGAN
10. David SHILLINGTON
11. Tom LEAROYD-LAHRS
12. Bronson HARRISON
13. Alan TONGUE (c)

14. Travis WADDELL
15. Joel THOMPSON
16. Dane TILSE
17. Trevor THURLING

Jeez... Look at that forward pack. Everyone in the forward pack bar Flanagan played in representative games. Plus the young and talented backline. If we could get that team together, we could be one great team in the future.

Jeez that's a juicy forward pack and having Campese and Monas at half and 5/8 would be a dream come true. It would take so much more pressure off Campese and give the fans a chance to see what he really can do with a good halfback in support.

I just hope we can make at least 1 big signing this year. It's been too damn long since we signed a big name player.