What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ek999

First Grade
Why? If he was from Qld originally (Smith, Slater, Cronk etc) I would agree. But I can't see how Brisbane would be preferred by him over a NSW based side

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Widdop has no ties to Brisbane.

he played junior footy in Altona in Victoria after arriving here from the UK.

Sounds like its a 4 year deal, announcement today (according to Twitter)

dwight12

Juniors
Thanks mate. Widdop is a weird one for me. If another club is to sign him, there is no telling how good he will be without the big 3. As a result, even though I cant see him leaving Melbourne, they may allow someone to pay overs for him because they may be able to field a replacement for half the price.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Widdop is a very capable fullback and five-eighth. I think the likes of Cronk, Slater and Smith have essentially stifled him and not allowed him to play his best footy.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Widdop is a very capable fullback and five-eighth. I think the likes of Cronk, Slater and Smith have essentially stifled him and not allowed him to play his best footy.

I wouldn't say stifled him, but he's certainly not showing everything he's capable of. When Cronk is out you see bits of it, and I think people are under-estimating how good he is. Great signing for the Dragons, wish the Eels had been after him.

TheRam

Coach

Yeah that's like saying Stirling, stifled Kenny, Mortimer stifled Lamb, or Stuart stifled Daley. :crazy:

Look he is a handy player, but not a super star by any means. He will do some good to great things every now and then and a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the time...unless he has a support player who has some ability, to take the onus off him being the main go to man.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah $550k a season for Widdop is pretty decent money. Based on what he potentially could offer the team it's a reasonably cheap gamble for them.

The only real question mark is how he will perform at a club without the best fullback, halfback and hooker in the spine with him. He looked great in that spine, but then again everyone who has played 5/8 for them has. If he can take the potential and apply it at the Dragons, they have definitely gotten great value for him. If not then they're no worse off then if they didn't have him anyway. If he can't be the leader they would ideally want, he would be a very good fullback for them. Maybe not $550k a seasons worth, but definitely not just throwing the money away.

Status
Not open for further replies.