What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRam

Coach
Mate, the coach might not know best, but he knows better than any of us.

So if he takes a risk (and every decision is a risk) and it doesn't pay off, it doesn't mean he wasn't aware of the risk. It doesn't mean that all the death riders who said it's a bad idea were right. Especially when there were no better alternatives.

I thought Hindy would be a poor captain, and it turned out to be the case. But it's the only decision Kearney could have made at the time; to make anyone else captain would have been disrespectful of Hindy's status as a club legend.

Coaches operate under constraints that keyboard warriors like us don't have to worry about. It doesn't mean they're not aware of the risks.

I agree with most of what you say Pou, but the best coaches rise above most of all that. So for mine, it's not hat he has, at this stage, elevated Kelly above Sandow, it's more what he will do and how quickly he does it if it doesn't work out?

Will he be stubborn and persist with a weak decision maker and executer under pressure? Will he be able to make the right tactical adjustments to he limit Kelly's limitations and play our team in a way that brings his strengths to the fore? Will he be able to coach him into a better player with greater belief? Will he be able to drop him quickly and ruthlessly to bring in a more talented player, but who also needs more love and strategical coaching then a ten year old going up against a 13 year old?

This will be his litmus test. Great coaches make mistakes for various reasons all the time, it's what they do next that defines them.

spiderdan

Bench
Agree 1000 percent Dellboy unfortunately for us Kelly is rubbish and believe and hope BA will realise this sooner rather than later, iF not BA is not a coaches asshole.

We all thought the same about robson but he played the role he was set within the team and was a key player in the 09 run. While he's no star he is regarded by plenty as a capable first grade player. I'm not sold on Kelly but maybe he will end up the same.

That said if he and sandow were close to their best form I'd pick little Arnold without hesitation to play at no 7.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
From what I have been told, Kelly is not durable and that is also another minus in his run at 7

Against Sandow, he is not as quick, has a less effective kicking game, defence not that much superior. Not seen him be a better talker/organiser for the team, just don't see him being the answer.

Saw him a couple of times at Wenty, never stood out

What do you mean not durable?

Joely01

Bench
From what I have been told, Kelly is not durable and that is also another minus in his run at 7

Against Sandow, he is not as quick, has a less effective kicking game, defence not that much superior. Not seen him be a better talker/organiser for the team, just don't see him being the answer.

Saw him a couple of times at Wenty, never stood out

Sandows kicking game is much better then Kelly's

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I would pick sandow but understand why Arthur may be leaning towards Kelly - potential attitude problems could be the reason. If we had no Hayne, no hoppa, no Norman then I would be concerned if Kelly was our halfback but with them I reckon he would go ok. Also don't forget Kelly hasnt really had a lot of nrl experience so could improve quite a bit.

Eels Dude

Coach
I get the impression Arthur wants to see Sandow earn a position in the side again after his dramas from last year. I'm not sold on Kelly but if he just organizes and kicks then he leave the flashy stuff to Hayne, Hoppa and Norman.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
You guys do remember Sandow don't you?
He was shit. Offered nothing. Go back and watch the tapes if you don't believe me.

Joely01

Bench
You guys do remember Sandow don't you?
He was shit. Offered nothing. Go back and watch the tapes if you don't believe me.

And bar Hayne and Mannah no one really offered anything this year.
Actually I'll give Peni and Tanginoa credit.

You can't say our side started playing better with Kelly, because we were s**t all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts