What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

bedlam breakout

Juniors
fifita is the next dave taylor - waste of money - roosters have their eyes on lachlan lam whos been reported as a stand out half in SL - hes been decent in patches but nothing fantastic - mikey lewis at hull kr is the hottest half in SL at the min - they would be better looking at him

gerg

Juniors
Spot on. A salary cap can not and will not ever be enough on it's own to deliver talent distribution/parity. It's a half measure because it's primary design is not talent distribution but to cap wages at a level that allows the leagues/clubs to remain profitable and restrict poorer clubs from going broke trying to keep up with the Jones'
This has been the narrative for a long time ... to stop the poorer clubs from going broke ... but it really doesn't apply anymore since the NRL grant completely covers the player's salaries.

fifita is the next dave taylor - waste of money - roosters have their eyes on lachlan lam whos been reported as a stand out half in SL - hes been decent in patches but nothing fantastic - mikey lewis at hull kr is the hottest half in SL at the min - they would be better looking at him

Mate Lachlan Lam was let go by the Roosters which is one of the reasons he wound up in SL. I very much doubt my club will be looking to re-sign him. He never set the world on fire when he played first grade at the Roosters.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

lmaoooooo Yeah lets not try land one of the best edge players in the game and focus on - Lachlan Lam..

A player we let go years ago to go play in England because he's complete ass....

Wb1234

Referee
Mate Lachlan Lam was let go by the Roosters which is one of the reasons he wound up in SL. I very much doubt my club will be looking to re-sign him. He never set the world on fire when he played first grade at the Roosters.
Probably true but sometimes players like lam develop in super league

he will go where his dad goes

nick87

Coach
This has been the narrative for a long time ... to stop the poorer clubs from going broke ... but it really doesn't apply anymore since the NRL grant completely covers the player's salaries.
It still very much applies
Without a salary cap it would be a free for all, and clubs like the roosters and broncos would be able to pay substantially more. Payroll would be pushed beyond the nrl’s grant and teams would go broke trying to keep up with the Jones’s

the existence of a salary cap is what prevents wages scaling out of control and allows the nrl to manage payroll costs at a level that is sustainable for the entire league

soc123_au

Staff member
It still very much applies
Without a salary cap it would be a free for all, and clubs like the roosters and broncos would be able to pay substantially more. Payroll would be pushed beyond the nrl’s grant and teams would go broke trying to keep up with the Jones’s

the existence of a salary cap is what prevents wages scaling out of control and allows the nrl to manage payroll costs at a level that is sustainable for the entire league
It still baffles me how many people don't understand this and believe it's all about spreading talent.

It still baffles me how many people don't understand this and believe it's all about spreading talent.

Very true. In the 1980s you had Newtown literally go bust. The Magpies were in financial straights, which is why they moved there games from Lidcombe oval to Campbelltown, whilst the Sharks were on financial life support from the NSWRL. Even the financially strong clubs like the Bulldogs, Roosters and Eels (to name three) only avoided those pitfalls due to their respective leagues clubs tipping in a lot of money to fund the first grade side.

Apey

Staff member
Will Fifita have to turn up more than once a month at the Panthers or Roosters?

Latest posts