What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

nick87

Coach
I also think staying at your current club vs moving to a new one is a little different too
I think most fans would be happy to accept players taking less to stay at a club, and reward that loyalty. So that is something to consider in the above Sam Walker scenario too. If Sam Walker is taking 150k less to stay at the roosters, it's a lot more palatable for fans than David Fifita taking 150k less to go to a new club

Valheru

Coach
I don't know, seems pretty convenient that Cronk has a pretty sweet cushy job in the media, after back2back trophys, that guys a born winner, no fkn way he was a Bondi junior, musta bought him from somewhere
You're still missing the point.

MugaB

Coach
I also think staying at your current club vs moving to a new one is a little different too
I think most fans would be happy to accept clubs taking less to stay at a club, and reward that loyalty. So that is something to consider in the above Sam Walker scenario too. If Sam Walker is taking 150k less to stay at the roosters, it's a lot more palatable for fans than David Fifita taking 150k less to go to a new club
This is pretty clear cut, walker is a roosters find, they blooded him they can keep him on unders, no issue there, but when they stack the rest of the team around him with market buys, that mind you would easily be marquee players in other teams, like Tiger teddy, stormy chedda and knite young, now fifi tits , like it's gets to be a bit of piss take, it's almost like Canberra fans with wighton going to souths

Exsilium

First Grade
Checked the calendar and it’s 2024. Thought it might have been the mid-2000’s with how some people still desperately hang onto the salary cap sombrero cliche when you could focus on several other clubs that appear to raise more salary cap concerns and barely rate a mention.

MugaB

Coach
Checked the calendar and it’s 2024. Thought it might have been the mid-2000’s with how some people still desperately hang onto the salary cap sombrero cliche when you could focus on several other clubs that appear to raise more salary cap concerns and barely rate a mention.
Liiiiiiiiike....

Exsilium

First Grade
Liiiiiiiiike....

Bulldogs…

North Queensland have plenty of star power and they rumble along without mention. Lolo, Drinkwater, Townsend, Cotter, Feldt, Holmes, McClean etc were all decent money signings or upgraded over the years.

My point is that look at teams objectively and you’ll see a lot of sides who seem to manage plenty of big contracts, upgrades due to form and rep footy, premiership winning player signings etc.

MugaB

Coach
Bulldogs…

North Queensland have plenty of star power and they rumble along without mention. Lolo, Drinkwater, Townsend, Cotter, Feldt, Holmes, McClean etc were all decent money signings or upgraded over the years.

My point is that look at teams objectively and you’ll see a lot of sides who seem to manage plenty of big contracts, upgrades due to form and rep footy, premiership winning player signings etc.
Yeah I get your point, but in saying that roosters are dodgy as fk

Bulldogs…

I know its nothing to do with the point you're making but imagine blowing out your cap on that bunch of over the hill/overrated players. Cotter is the only one I'd feed.

Yeah I get your point, but in saying that roosters are dodgy as fk

Yet when people are asked for evidence of those claims, little is presented other than "how can they afford all those rep players etc etc" the same rep players who at the same time they say are crap, over rated and only get selected due to politics.

That, or stories are cited over stuff which happened in the 1980s :rolleyes:

yobbo84

Coach
IMO there's absolutely no way David Fifita willingly walked away from $200,000 p.a. to move to a much higher cost of living.

Just like I don't believe Jack Wighton did the same.

The salary cap is a nice myth the keeps the game somewhat in line, but I don't believe anyone sticks to it.

Colk

First Grade
What notional value would you put on Fifita?

Close to what the actual market determines said player to be. Now I know certain posters will say some clubs are desperate and that inflates the market etc but if you had a fully transparent system, along with potentially a draft, then it could not be rorted.

The problem with the current system is multifaceted but the two main ones are.

1. You can’t police it. If the NRL can’t actually uncover systematic cheating without the assistance of whistleblowers how can anybody say on the balance of probability that there isn’t any cheating going on. Once that perception remains then the integrity of a competition will always be damaged

2. It doesn’t reward any development which runs counter to what the NRL actually wants clubs to do. Now before you counter with Penrith, they are a really extreme case that doesn’t defeat the norm (there hasn’t been a successful development club before they since Newcastle or Canberra 20 to 30 years ago). Any club outside of say a location where corporates are plentiful with TPA’s allowed in (which in turn is very opaque) are massively disadvantaged. An example is say Chad Townsend. The Cowboys had to spend $850k to attract a mid tier (and that is being generous to mid tier) halfback to go to Townsville. Now you can go and say well they should just develop one but again that young halfback might not be ready so they somebody to remain competitive in the interim and then secondly if they did develop somebody and they get poached then they are s*** out of luck. The system as it currently is assumes that all clubs are the same (which they are not).

There are a whole bunch of ideas that you could propose that could at least remove some if not all of the current limitations

1. The NRL takes over all development and there is a draft
2. They remove all third party payments
3. they enforce transfer fees to clubs that develop players
4. They have a purchasing cap which limits how much you can spend on buying players from other clubs
5. They have a notional points system (that would be hard to come up with I admit)
6. They publish player wages

I’m sure people who are smarter than you or I could come up with something that works better than the current system

Latest posts