What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

MugaB

Coach
Close to what the actual market determines said player to be. Now I know certain posters will say some clubs are desperate and that inflates the market etc but if you had a fully transparent system, along with potentially a draft, then it could not be rorted.

The problem with the current system is multifaceted but the two main ones are.

1. You can’t police it. If the NRL can’t actually uncover systematic cheating without the assistance of whistleblowers how can anybody say on the balance of probability that there isn’t any cheating going on. Once that perception remains then the integrity of a competition will always be damaged

2. It doesn’t reward any development which runs counter to what the NRL actually wants clubs to do. Now before you counter with Penrith, they are a really extreme case that doesn’t defeat the norm (there hasn’t been a successful development club before they since Newcastle or Canberra 20 to 30 years ago). Any club outside of say a location where corporates are plentiful with TPA’s allowed in (which in turn is very opaque) are massively disadvantaged. An example is say Chad Townsend. The Cowboys had to spend $850k to attract a mid tier (and that is being generous to mid tier) halfback to go to Townsville. Now you can go and say well they should just develop one but again that young halfback might not be ready so they somebody to remain competitive in the interim and then secondly if they did develop somebody and they get poached then they are s*** out of luck. The system as it currently is assumes that all clubs are the same (which they are not).

There are a whole bunch of ideas that you could propose that could at least remove some if not all of the current limitations

1. The NRL takes over all development and there is a draft
2. They remove all third party payments
3. they enforce transfer fees to clubs that develop players
4. They have a purchasing cap which limits how much you can spend on buying players from other clubs
5. They have a notional points system (that would be hard to come up with I admit)
6. They publish player wages

I’m sure people who are smarter than you or I could come up with something that works better than the current system
ORRRRRRRRR???
Have every club develop their own talent, when contracts expire they then become a "market player" and highest bidder gets that player, upto the market value, can't have a 500k player going for 1mil, of course, this player will get valued at a certain price, the clubs can get into a bidding war and offer All sorts of extra stuff, I mean it's just a more structured version of what we have now, but it means there's not this 2 year sign ahead before hand crap going on, it all happens in November-December, pre season starts and no BS during the year

I remember thumbing through Big League magazines when I was a kid in the 70s and looking at team lists for the upcoming games, there were asterisks next to players names indicating they were imports. Memory sketchy but I think you were only allowed a certain number of imports per club/team?

The NRL could put a set of guidelines together that constitute what a ‘developed’ player looks like. 15/16 years of age for example or how many years in a club’s system etc. And with this, I’d also like my club to be given its district back. Any realestate agent will tell you Covelly and Randwick for example is Eastern Suburbs and not South Sydney (while we’re here, the conversation of parity should also include development opportunities not just talent distribution). The NRL should also allocate country regions to clubs to further develop talent. You can probably piss the salary cap off altogether and the brown paper bags insinuation that comes with it if you limit imports in a 17 to say 4, 6 or whatever. Spend as much as you like them provided you don’t exceed the import limit?

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Close to what the actual market determines said player to be. Now I know certain posters will say some clubs are desperate and that inflates the market etc but if you had a fully transparent system, along with potentially a draft, then it could not be rorted.

The problem with the current system is multifaceted but the two main ones are.

1. You can’t police it. If the NRL can’t actually uncover systematic cheating without the assistance of whistleblowers how can anybody say on the balance of probability that there isn’t any cheating going on. Once that perception remains then the integrity of a competition will always be damaged

2. It doesn’t reward any development which runs counter to what the NRL actually wants clubs to do. Now before you counter with Penrith, they are a really extreme case that doesn’t defeat the norm (there hasn’t been a successful development club before they since Newcastle or Canberra 20 to 30 years ago). Any club outside of say a location where corporates are plentiful with TPA’s allowed in (which in turn is very opaque) are massively disadvantaged. An example is say Chad Townsend. The Cowboys had to spend $850k to attract a mid tier (and that is being generous to mid tier) halfback to go to Townsville. Now you can go and say well they should just develop one but again that young halfback might not be ready so they somebody to remain competitive in the interim and then secondly if they did develop somebody and they get poached then they are s*** out of luck. The system as it currently is assumes that all clubs are the same (which they are not).

There are a whole bunch of ideas that you could propose that could at least remove some if not all of the current limitations

4. They have a purchasing cap which limits how much you can spend on buying players from other clubs
5. They have a notional points system (that would be hard to come up with I admit)

I’m sure people who are smarter than you or I could come up with something that works better than the current system
Interesting post colky

Wb1234

Referee
I remember thumbing through Big League magazines when I was a kid in the 70s and looking at team lists for the upcoming games, there were asterisks next to players names indicating they were imports. Memory sketchy but I think you were only allowed a certain number of imports per club/team?

The NRL could put a set of guidelines together that constitute what a ‘developed’ player looks like. 15/16 years of age for example or how many years in a club’s system etc. And with this, I’d also like my club to be given its district back. Any realestate agent will tell you Covelly and Randwick for example is Eastern Suburbs and not South Sydney (while we’re here, the conversation of parity should also include development opportunities not just talent distribution). The NRL should also allocate country regions to clubs to further develop talent. You can probably piss the salary cap off altogether and the brown paper bags insinuation that comes with it if you limit imports in a 17 to say 4, 6 or whatever. Spend as much as you like them provided you don’t exceed the import limit?
Nrl allocating regions is too much top down

the nrl should just create the incentives and let clubs fill their pathways with kids from where if needs be

the longer you are in the system the bigger discount you get on that players salary not counting on the cap

Item 1, the NRLPA are highly unlikely to agree to a draft. You acnb sit and purport it alklk day long, but the legal precdeent is thyere, ist a restraint of trade and illegal in this country. You won't get one without the RLPA's agreement. That's the only way the AFL got its, was by the AFLPA agreeing to it. Even then, everyone knows the AFL draft would fall over if any propspect went to court over it.

Transfer fees? Lol. Mate they have been illegal ever since Dennis Tutty challenged the NSWRL transfee fee system after the 1969 season.

4 + 5, the problem is determining said system, how it changes (e.g. every year), who determines said points. Also it would I dare say run afoul of restraint of trade.

6? really? Privacy laws at state and Federal levels (and probably inm NZ as well) would prohibit it. Fans are not a party to player contracts, and realistically its none of our business what they get paid. Before you bring up what happens overseas, they have different legal set ups, oh and in the US sports, not all player contract details are made public.

Last edited:
Apparently Holbrook helped getting him over the line too
This is one of the big things for sure. Apparently he has a great relationship with Holbrook. So much so he had a clause if the coach left he’d be a free agent. If the Gold Coast gave Holbrook one more season I doubt we’d be talking about Fifita leaving the Gold Coast.

Now they have Hasler who is getting worse results than what Holbrook was getting and minus a star recruit. Gold Coast management looking really dumb in so many ways with what’s happened here

Nrl allocating regions is too much top down

the nrl should just create the incentives and let clubs fill their pathways with kids from where if needs be

the longer you are in the system the bigger discount you get on that players salary not counting on the cap
I like regional districts having affiliations with a club. Over the years an efficient system will develop producing a Penrith-like production line and both sides will feel invested. Also stops clubs from getting into a bidding war over the same kid, would it not?

Wb1234

Referee
I like regional districts having affiliations with a club. Over the years an efficient system will develop producing a Penrith-like production line and both sides will feel invested. Also stops clubs from getting into a bidding war over the same kid, would it not?
Nrl could have a rule which says once a club picks an area other clubs aren’t allowed in but clubs should be picking which areas they want to invest in

ie central coast should be considered roosters now

Bathurst is Penrith

it’s not just country areas it’s Fiji Tonga Samoa nz png and qld

rhe game doesn’t have a development philosophy

we could grow junior numbers hugely

Nrl could have a rule which says once a club picks an area other clubs aren’t allowed in but clubs should be picking which areas they want to invest in

ie central coast should be considered roosters now

Bathurst is Penrith

it’s not just country areas it’s Fiji Tonga Samoa nz png and qld

rhe game doesn’t have a development philosophy

we could grow junior numbers hugely
Unfortunately for us, the Central Coast is all we can get beyond our own territory before we start invading another club’s turf. For example, anything beyond CC and we’re dipping into Knights territory? That’s why I thought the NRL should allocate districts an avoid squabbling. It worked for the NSWRL back in 08 after all

Colk

First Grade
Unfortunately for us, the Central Coast is all we can get beyond our own territory before we start invading another club’s turf. For example, anything beyond CC and we’re dipping into Knights territory? That’s why I thought the NRL should allocate districts an avoid squabbling. It worked for the NSWRL back in 08 after all

That’s fine mate but that’s a good area.

Colk

First Grade
Item 1, the NRLPA are highly unlikely to agree to a draft. You acnb sit and purport it alklk day long, but the legal precdeent is thyere, ist a restraint of trade and illegal in this country. You won't get one without the RLPA's agreement. That's the only way the AFL got its, was by the AFLPA agreeing to it. Even then, everyone knows the AFL draft would fall over if any propspect went to court over it.

Transfer fees? Lol. Mate they have been illegal ever since Dennis Tutty challenged the NSWRL transfee fee system after the 1969 season.

4 + 5, the problem is determining said system, how it changes (e.g. every year), who determines said points. Also it would I dare say run afoul of restraint of trade.

6? really? Privacy laws at state and Federal levels (and probably inm NZ as well) would prohibit it. Fans are not a party to player contracts, and realistically it’s none of our business what they get paid. Before you bring up what happens overseas, they have different legal set ups, oh and in the US sports, not all player contract details are made public.

On points 1, 4 + 5, the current system is a restraint of trade however you wish to argue it. If it were argued in court that David Fifita hypothetically wanted to go to the Broncos and it was reciprocal then he would win because a) the Broncos could afford to pay him what he wanted and b) he could argue that the salary cap is restraining him and the Broncos from an agreement they wish to undertake. Therefore the whole restraint of trade is a nonsense - everything is up to debate.

Also on point 4 and 5, the market should determine that value. I.e the Roosters or whomever else could pay whatever they want for a player but the value on the cap is determined by whatever the determined value is. So for example, hypothetically if the Titans wish to put 1,200 points to Fifita and the Roosters put 800 points then the NRL can’t legally accept 800 points. Simple. There is a false economy here under the salary cap (for want of a better term) and it needs to be addressed otherwise what is the point of the salary cap.

Under the current system and how it is policed, I can’t see how any team outside of Sydney and Brisbane or Melbourne could possibly win a comp - that might be dramatic but it is true. . I am not going to sit there and argue for a system that is inefficient because oh well it is too hard

Tiger5150

Bench
ORRRRRRRRR???
Have every club develop their own talent, when contracts expire they then become a "market player" and highest bidder gets that player, upto the market value, can't have a 500k player going for 1mil, of course, this player will get valued at a certain price, the clubs can get into a bidding war and offer All sorts of extra stuff, I mean it's just a more structured version of what we have now, but it means there's not this 2 year sign ahead before hand crap going on, it all happens in November-December, pre season starts and no BS during the year
NOt sure that the word "market" means what you think it means......

On points 1, 4 + 5, the current system is a restraint of trade however you wish to argue it. If it were argued in court that David Fifita hypothetically wanted to go to the Broncos and it was reciprocal then he would win because a) the Broncos could afford to pay him what he wanted and b) he could argue that the salary cap is restraining him and the Broncos from an agreement they wish to undertake. Therefore the whole restraint of trade is a nonsense - everything is up to debate.

Also on point 4 and 5, the market should determine that value. I.e the Roosters or whomever else could pay whatever they want for a player but the value on the cap is determined by whatever the determined value is. So for example, hypothetically if the Titans wish to put 1,200 points to Fifita and the Roosters put 800 points then the NRL can’t legally accept 800 points. Simple. There is a false economy here under the salary cap (for want of a better term) and it needs to be addressed otherwise what is the point of the salary cap.

Under the current system and how it is policed, I can’t see how any team outside of Sydney and Brisbane or Melbourne could possibly win a comp - that might be dramatic but it is true. . I am not going to sit there and argue for a system that is inefficient because oh well it is too hard

Legally, in relation to the salary cap, its debatable whether a player could successfully challenge it in court as a restraint fo trade. IT would most likely be a club which would have a greater chance. As such that rebuttal argument won't fly I'm afraid.

Your points system is nonsensical based on yoru description. The NBL used to have such a system and you know what it engendered? More player movement year to year, and contracts being only of 1 or 2 season duration. Heck win a championship and tje [points system wopuild force you to offload or not re-sign many of yoru free agents.

Valheru

Coach
Legally, in relation to the salary cap, its debatable whether a player could successfully challenge it in court as a restraint fo trade. IT would most likely be a club which would have a greater chance. As such that rebuttal argument won't fly I'm afraid.

Your points system is nonsensical based on yoru description. The NBL used to have such a system and you know what it engendered? More player movement year to year, and contracts being only of 1 or 2 season duration. Heck win a championship and tje [points system wopuild force you to offload or not re-sign many of yoru free agents.
You would definitely need the club on board as there would need to be an official offer that the salary cap prevents for the courts to hear the case.

yobbo84

Coach

Latest posts