What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

yobbo84

Coach

Interesting words. Something has to give at the Chooks.

They have Fifita, Radley, Wong, Tupouniua and Nat Butcher all signed until at least the end of 2027. Plus Whyte until 2026 and Egan Butcher until 2025.

That's a lot of backrowers on your books when you're going to be short a couple of centres (Billy Smith is good but he's going down the Braidon Burns path of unrealised potential due to injury).

They have Fifita, Radley, Wong, Tupouniua and Nat Butcher all signed until at least the end of 2027. Plus Whyte until 2026 and Egan Butcher until 2025.

That's a lot of backrowers on your books when you're going to be short a couple of centres (Billy Smith is good but he's going down the Braidon Burns path of unrealised potential due to injury).

Whyte plays front row so he is not a factor in that issue.

Tweed Titan

Bench
This is one of the big things for sure. Apparently he has a great relationship with Holbrook. So much so he had a clause if the coach left he’d be a free agent. If the Gold Coast gave Holbrook one more season I doubt we’d be talking about Fifita leaving the Gold Coast.

Now they have Hasler who is getting worse results than what Holbrook was getting and minus a star recruit. Gold Coast management looking really dumb in so many ways with what’s happened here
Hasler in 8 games has the team defending better that Holbrook did in 4 seasons. Try watching a game before you comment. I'm super happy Holbrook is no longer our coach.

Also getting off Fifita at $1 million per is a blessing despite short term pain.

nick87

Coach
Also getting off Fifita at $1 million per is a blessing despite short term pain.

That is a good opinion in theory, when you redistribute that 1m dollars for one player into 2-3 players who are really good contributors and lift the tide for the Titans

But here's thing... the Titans will do the Titans thing and blow their money on silly purchases and ill wager when it's all said and done and that million is spent, they'd get more impact and value from Fifita than whatever they replace him with

Hope im wrong, because i want the titans to be a good, strong club

Hasler in 8 games has the team defending better that Holbrook did in 4 seasons. Try watching a game before you comment. I'm super happy Holbrook is no longer our coach.

Have been watching your games idiot.

Enjoy the wooden spoon this season.

lol

Colk

First Grade
Legally, in relation to the salary cap, its debatable whether a player could successfully challenge it in court as a restraint fo trade. IT would most likely be a club which would have a greater chance. As such that rebuttal argument won't fly I'm afraid.

Your points system is nonsensical based on yoru description. The NBL used to have such a system and you know what it engendered? More player movement year to year, and contracts being only of 1 or 2 season duration. Heck win a championship and tje [points system wopuild force you to offload or not re-sign many of yoru free agents.

Here is my rebuttal. Take your Roosters glasses off for a second and tell me honestly if you think the “salary cap” is working; particularly on the first function.

If figures are to be believed do you think that a club able to acquire a player for 15 -20% less than another club is assisting in the spread of talent? Do you think that perhaps there should be something/anything put in place that actually reduces this from occurring (again I know that benefits your club but think about the integrity of the competition)

This is the reputed goal of the salary cap

Why have a Salary Cap?​

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay
  2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

Colk

First Grade
On the second point and this is in relation to the salary cap and draft and what constitutes a restraint of trade.

Quite interesting points

Refer to restraint of trade and doctrine - proof and evidence on the legality of restraint of trade.

Refer to conclusion second paragraph and second last paragraph - particularly on the advent of third party agreements and the benefits that it gives certain clubs

The salary cap doesn’t work particularly if you can’t enforce it, you create rules that essentially provide advantages to certain clubs and it particularly doesn’t work in isolation - i.e. a salary cap doesn’t serve it’s reputed primary function without something else; generally a draft.

Been revealed today that Tupouniua has been allowed to speak to other Clubs.

Here is my rebuttal. Take your Roosters glasses off for a second and tell me honestly if you think the “salary cap” is working; particularly on the first function.

If figures are to be believed do you think that a club able to acquire a player for 15 -20% less than another club is assisting in the spread of talent? Do you think that perhaps there should be something/anything put in place that actually reduces this from occurring (again I know that benefits your club but think about the integrity of the competition)

This is the reputed goal of the salary cap

Why have a Salary Cap?​

The NRL Salary Cap serves two functions:

1. It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players. If a few clubs are able to spend unlimited funds it will reduce the attraction of games to fans, sponsors and media partners due to an uneven competition. Allowing clubs to spend an unlimited amount on players would drive some clubs out of the competition as they would struggle to match the prices wealthy clubs could afford to pay
  2. It ensures clubs are not put into a position where they are forced to spend more money than they can afford, in terms of player payments, just to be competitive.

Oh please. In relation to point 1, that was not why it was introduced. I'm old enough to have been alive when the NSWRL brought it in. It had nothing to do with "spreading the talent" and everything to do with point 2.

If a salary cap alone "spread the talent" then you would not have many sports with salary caps and drafts. So please, spare me the PR spin as I didn't come down in the last shower.

Munky

Coach
He's 106 years old...
Animated GIF

Latest posts