What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Has anyone suggesting Pryce actually watched a full NSW Cup game? He’d get destroyed (especially if picked out of position).

I get we want some spark in the side right now while it’s not clicking but rushing in a rookie just to destroy his confidence when he could be our long-term 6 just ain’t it.
how far away is he? full season in Cup ? has he improved at all since debut?

perverse

Referee
Has anyone suggesting Pryce actually watched a full NSW Cup game? He’d get destroyed (especially if picked out of position).

I get we want some spark in the side right now while it’s not clicking but rushing in a rookie just to destroy his confidence when he could be our long-term 6 just ain’t it.

To me, he's a bloke that has obvious natural instincts, abilities and class that it's hard to ignore. With the ball in hand I wouldn't have a worry in the world putting him in first grade. Things will happen around him.

Can't seem to defend for shit, though. I've only seen the trials and one full game of Cup last week (which was a bludger of a game by any measurement), so I couldn't comment so much on whether it's willingness, technique or misunderstanding the structures. Probably a mix of all 3 perhaps. He looks a bit lost when there's ball movement around him, and comes up with some very average attempts.

I think it depends on how much you're willing to tolerate in first grade from him off the ball. On the ball, he's already there for mine. Just a natural ball runner and footy player. Has good size, strength and speed - and is enough of a footy player that i suspect he'd just rise to the standard of those around him in attack.

The honest truth is it could take a month, 6 months, 2 seasons, or never to get his defence right. I really don't know, some blokes just can't tackle. He's got the size, so he should be able to be taught. I'm personally comfortable enough with holding him back at this stage, but I'd probably be equally as happy to throw him a start and just see what happens - accepting the fact he's going to defend like a busted arse. Sometimes you need to challenge a prodigious talent to get the most out of them, and I do see class in the lad. I think we could do worse than giving him a taste and if he doesn't swim, dropping him back knowing exactly the level he has to get to. At the very worst it would be educational for him.

That's my take on him thus far anyway. I'm not a coach and I'm old enough now to sit here and say I'm not sure what the best answer is, but can cop it either way.

To me, he's a bloke that has obvious natural instincts, abilities and class that it's hard to ignore. With the ball in hand I wouldn't have a worry in the world putting him in first grade. Things will happen around him.

Can't seem to defend for shit, though. I've only seen the trials and one full game of Cup last week (which was a bludger of a game by any measurement), so I couldn't comment so much on whether it's willingness, technique or misunderstanding the structures. Probably a mix of all 3 perhaps. He looks a bit lost when there's ball movement around him, and comes up with some very average attempts.

I think it depends on how much you're willing to tolerate in first grade from him off the ball. On the ball, he's already there for mine. Just a natural ball runner and footy player. Has good size, strength and speed - and is enough of a footy player that i suspect he'd just rise to the standard of those around him in attack.

The honest truth is it could take a month, 6 months, 2 seasons, or never to get his defence right. I really don't know, some blokes just can't tackle. He's got the size, so he should be able to be taught. I'm personally comfortable enough with holding him back at this stage, but I'd probably be equally as happy to throw him a start and just see what happens - accepting the fact he's going to defend like a busted arse. Sometimes you need to challenge a prodigious talent to get the most out of them, and I do see class in the lad. I think we could do worse than giving him a taste and if he doesn't swim, dropping him back knowing exactly the level he has to get to. At the very worst it would be educational for him.

That's my take on him thus far anyway. I'm not a coach and I'm old enough now to sit here and say I'm not sure what the best answer is, but can cop it either way.
I'm a bit the same in the way of thinking "cream will rise to the top" if he is good enough - and by all reports he is, and we signed him from half the world away.

Woody90

Juniors

To me it has more to do with how the team is going for when we pick him in FG. If we had good systems in place currently, the pack were going forward and the other spine members were standing up I’d be happy to stick him in FG. At the moment however he’s just going to get smashed defensively without an opportunity to use his strengths and it’s just going to be shit for his development.

We’re probably going to need to accept that he’s never going to be a great defender, but he needs some more runs on the board, in addition to the blokes in FG creating a better environment for him to debut in, so at least he has some more confidence at debut. His defence seemed to be worse rather than improve from his last 2 games, but the side as a whole were also under more pressure last game…so hard to know if he’s improving.

Yosh

Coach
He would be around Frizz (great defender) but Gagai (better now but still iffy as a defender) which doesn't fill me up with much confidence. Let's just throw all caution to the wind and concede 5 and score 6 down that side then.

Woody90

Juniors
Let's just throw all caution to the wind and concede 5 and score 6 down that side then.
We can’t assume though that he’ll be automatically up to it in attack either. The kid clearly has a lot of talent but we need to remember that defence is completely different in the super league. There isn’t the structure, grapple, etc. that we have in the NRL. What he could pull of there won’t necessarily translate. He also wasn’t even picked for FG all the time last year in the SL! Rather than copping 5 tries against us to score 6, there’s just a big a chance it’s 5 scored against us and none for.

I’m just not a fan of throwing young kids into FG when they’re not ready so they can try and save a side’s season. It never works and just ends up hurting them. We already watched NSW do that with Mullo. We need to bring him in either when the side’s form has improved and he can play with a good forward pack in front of him and a supportive spine around him to take the pressure off (or after the seasons out of reach and stick with him regardless of performance to build for next year).

Zoidberg

First Grade
I think people forget we also had Young do a year in reserves when he came here. That strategy worked well. I would hope between Hastings, Gamble and Cogger we have enough there to have decent halves pairing.

Simple question is, if we were winning would we be considering Pryce in FG right now?

Probably not and that's a fair litmus test as to how much work he needs to do to be at NRL level. He's done very little to deserve a call up besides the NRL side being average and the fans wanting something to change

PhilGould

Bench
There was an article saying his coach was trying to convince him to stay and Tyrone said he hadn't made a decision yet. Never saw anything definitive from him or the club.

Rod

Bench
If Tyrone can become any sort of player like Leo is then that would solve our front row issues instantly.

He's fallen slightly down the pecking order at the Chiefs this season so far as well. I'd say the NRL is looking very attractive right now.

Latest posts