What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woosh

Head Moderator
Newcastle have continued their roster tug-of-war with Canberra by signing talented winger James Schiller to a three-year deal.

Off-contact at the end of this season, Schiller has proven a strong contributor for the Raiders so far this season, scoring five tries in four games.

The 22-year-old broke the news to his Raiders teammates on Wednesday.

It’s understood the lure to play centre at the Knights was a contributing factor behind Schiller’s decision to quit Canberra.

The Knights and Raiders have an increasing list recruitment trades with the likes of Joseph Tapine, Danny Levi, Tom Starling and Pasami Saulo all joining the Raiders from Newcastle.

The decision by the nephew of Raiders champion Brett Mullins prompts questions over the future of off-contract Knights centre and representative star Dane Gagai.

The Knights are likely to offer Gagai only a 12-month contract for 2025.

The short-term contract, coupled with the arrival of Schiller, could lead to Gagai testing the open market.

Nuke

Staff member
Keep Gags for another 2 seasons with Schiller on the wing, learning what he can from Gags in that time. Let Gags retire after that and Schiller can move into the centres.

Maybe by then the Roosters will have had enough of Dom and we can snag him back again for that wing spot..! :p

Woody90

Juniors
I think a 12 month contract is perfect for Gags when you consider he will be 35 at the end of it. Hopefully he doesn’t get offended as Frizz took a pay cut for his final couple of seasons to stay at the club.

Was reading the Roosters forum around the time we played them and some bloke was posting that Dom wanted out. Probably just his option rather than any inside knowledge. Not that we could afford him anyway.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Schiller is an astute piece of business by the club. Gags speculation already ramping up in the Herald today. Superleague is a real chance for him now. He has enough in him to make a good wage for three or four years there.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/524231657b89e60b2cae856cfae6a1ff

NEWCASTLE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE

The Knights let go of Dom Young last year, re-signed Bradman Best and signed Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce from England.

Newcastle are clearly looking to the future with those signings following the departure of Clint Zammit.

But they’ve so far missed one man who should have been a key retention target all along in Leo Thompson.

He made his debut for New Zealand last year and has been the Knights’ best player so far in 2024, but he’s coming off-contract.

NRL rivals will be guaranteed to be sniffing around come November 1 when he’s free to sit down with teams outside of Newcastle.

He’s playing well above his current contract value and that’s what every club needs, but by performing at a high level Thompson needs to be rewarded moving forward.

Rosters are never perfect and are fluid. Forever moving and adjusting, but in my eyes their cap space is locked up in their middle forwards.

Players like Daniel Saifiti, Jacob Saifiti, Adam Elliott and Jack Hetherington. But after six rounds, Newcastle have been beaten through the middle.

It’s where their money has been invested, and it’s not stacking up to their opponents. Thompson, meanwhile, has been the leader of the pack.

The 23-year-old is due for a huge contract upgrade and could find himself in the top prop earners. But the Knights won’t be able to compete with those offers.

Newcastle powerbrokers have some big decisions to make before November, because they can’t lose a player of Thompson’s talent.

They need to work out a strategy to keep Thompson because elite middle forwards are a hot commodity in the NRL.

Individually, the four players listed above are great players and I wish they could deliver what’s needed for the Knights to be premiership contenders.

But as a collective they haven’t gelled, and as much as I hate to say it, someone needs to be let go to keep Thompson.

However, there are some positives in the Newcastle forward pack. Pearce-Paul has been a genuine shining light in the Hunter.

Just like Young was an exciting point of difference that forced fans to imagine just how good he can become, Pearce-Paul’s rise could be remarkable.

On both sides of the ball he is immense and could develop into a well-rounded and elite backrower like Tyson Frizell.

perverse

Referee
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/524231657b89e60b2cae856cfae6a1ff

NEWCASTLE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE

The Knights let go of Dom Young last year, re-signed Bradman Best and signed Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce from England.

Newcastle are clearly looking to the future with those signings following the departure of Clint Zammit.

But they’ve so far missed one man who should have been a key retention target all along in Leo Thompson.

He made his debut for New Zealand last year and has been the Knights’ best player so far in 2024, but he’s coming off-contract.

NRL rivals will be guaranteed to be sniffing around come November 1 when he’s free to sit down with teams outside of Newcastle.

He’s playing well above his current contract value and that’s what every club needs, but by performing at a high level Thompson needs to be rewarded moving forward.

Rosters are never perfect and are fluid. Forever moving and adjusting, but in my eyes their cap space is locked up in their middle forwards.

Players like Daniel Saifiti, Jacob Saifiti, Adam Elliott and Jack Hetherington. But after six rounds, Newcastle have been beaten through the middle.

It’s where their money has been invested, and it’s not stacking up to their opponents. Thompson, meanwhile, has been the leader of the pack.

The 23-year-old is due for a huge contract upgrade and could find himself in the top prop earners. But the Knights won’t be able to compete with those offers.

Newcastle powerbrokers have some big decisions to make before November, because they can’t lose a player of Thompson’s talent.

They need to work out a strategy to keep Thompson because elite middle forwards are a hot commodity in the NRL.

Individually, the four players listed above are great players and I wish they could deliver what’s needed for the Knights to be premiership contenders.

But as a collective they haven’t gelled, and as much as I hate to say it, someone needs to be let go to keep Thompson.

However, there are some positives in the Newcastle forward pack. Pearce-Paul has been a genuine shining light in the Hunter.

Just like Young was an exciting point of difference that forced fans to imagine just how good he can become, Pearce-Paul’s rise could be remarkable.

On both sides of the ball he is immense and could develop into a well-rounded and elite backrower like Tyson Frizell.
People are starting to notice that a certain lazy ex-origin player just warms the pine and contributes little most weeks.

Dan has to go, it's that simple. If we lose Leo without at least trying to shop Dan around we deserve all the lack of success that we get. He's a bludger, f**k him off. His brother surpassed him years ago at this point - and Dan doesn't seem to give a shit. Ship him off to Wayne or Bellyache, someone that can motivate him. The lazy prick has all the tools, but clearly doesn't respond to AOBs coaching.

Thompson and KPP are the nucleus of our pack moving forward, Jacob if he wants to be as well. Possibly Leos brother too if that pans out. Circle the wagons around these blokes and move on whoever is necessary to keep Leo.

perverse

Referee
The Panthers have 950k burning a hole in their pocket and a need for a prop with JFH leaving....
God imagine moving Dan on and not even paying any freight. We're not that lucky, and Cleary isn't that stupid... but a man can dream.

There will be interest in Dan in market, and there will be coaches out there that think they can revitalize him. Honestly, just a change of scenery could do him the world of good, regardless of where he goes. He's stagnant here and needs a change. I just don't know if we can fool anyone hard enough to pay his whole wage. I doubt it.

perverse

Referee
I was suggesting their number one target will probably be Leo, not the bloke who enjoys a beer more than winning.
Oh I'm sure Leo will be much higher on their list than Dan for sure, yeah. I mean there's going to be money and interest from other clubs too, not just the Panthers.

Yosh

Coach
Confident we will play this right but in the off chance we let Leo go and keep Dan........ Surely not right?

Apey

Staff member
Leo's brother could be our trump card. That and not low balling him.
I can't see us losing Leo, partly for this reason. We're going the Rooster strategy of signing up his brother - except his brother might actually be good.

Woosh

Head Moderator
The Sydney Roosters are considering making a play for Dane Gagai, who is off contract with the Knights at the end of this season.

Gagai, 33, has had a glittering career in two stints with Newcastle, regularly representing Queensland and Australia during his time with the club. It is understood that Gagai is keen to play on, perhaps for several more seasons, and will consider offers from other clubs.

At this stage the Roosters are only discussing Gagai internally as a possible replacement for departing stars Joey Manu and Joseph Suaalii, who are both off to rugby union next season.

If the Roosters do decide to make a play for Gagai, they'll have a battle on their hands to get him, with Newcastle understood to be keen to keep him.

Gagai is currently on good money at the Knights and will likely be asked to take a pay cut regardless of where he lands in 2025 and beyond.

However, he may be swayed by the number of years offered, with Gagai keen to have the security of a multi-year deal.

I reckon a while back Gus already noticed DSaf was underperforming and not offering value for money, made an offer with the Knights paying some freight and we refused.

Knights paying a decent chunk of his salary and a club needing that in order to sort it's salary cap is about the only way we'd get rid of him.

What's he realistically worth? 400K - 500K

I'd give the Saints a buzz .

People are starting to notice that a certain lazy ex-origin player just warms the pine and contributes little most weeks.

Dan has to go, it's that simple. If we lose Leo without at least trying to shop Dan around we deserve all the lack of success that we get. He's a bludger, f**k him off. His brother surpassed him years ago at this point - and Dan doesn't seem to give a shit. Ship him off to Wayne or Bellyache, someone that can motivate him. The lazy prick has all the tools, but clearly doesn't respond to AOBs coaching.

Thompson and KPP are the nucleus of our pack moving forward, Jacob if he wants to be as well. Possibly Leos brother too if that pans out. Circle the wagons around these blokes and move on whoever is necessary to keep Leo.
he's the first cab off the rank, he isnt Robinson Crusoe in the not performing stakes in the pack. How much are Hetherington and Elliot on

From reports both arent cheap and they are both bog below average. We arent going anywhere with them also.

Apey

Staff member
I'd be surprised if other clubs were seriously after Gagai. He has been very good for us lately but the guy is 33. He's lost a bit of speed, he's only going to lose more. Really not a Roosters signing in particular.