What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Not going to over complicate this. He's better than the next available, it's a short, manageable deal so when he likely declines pretty quickly it's not too damaging. Decent bit of business on to Kai and Leo.

Woosh

Head Moderator
The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis all but confirmed the Gagai news on NRL 360.

“This time yesterday if you asked me, I would have thought he’d be going to the Roosters on a two-year guaranteed deal, but he’s opted to stay at the Knights,” Carayannis said.

“It’s an interesting deal. The first year is guaranteed but the second year is a mutual option, so essentially, he’s off contract after one year, so he’s foregone that security of a two-year deal which shows where Newcastle are headed.

“We just spoke about the Gold Coast Titans and the blow that David Fifita leaving is for them. This is a shot in the arm for the Knights that a guy at the back end of his career, who hasn’t won a premiership, wants to stay at Newcastle for one year with no guarantee of a second season.”

Woosh

Head Moderator
ENERGETIC five-eighth Tyson Gamble says he is "playing with a chip on my shoulder" as he sets about securing a contract extension with the Newcastle Knights.

Gamble remains a free agent after knocking back an offer to re-sign with Newcastle in the pre-season, preferring instead to back himself to play well enough to increase his market value.

That plan appeared to be in danger of coming unstuck when he was dropped to NSW Cup for two games, but he was subsequently recalled to first grade and has scored tries and played strongly in each of Newcastle's consecutive wins against the Dolphins and Warriors.

Gamble told the Newcastle Herald that he was "absolutely" hopeful that his recent form would enhance his bargaining position.

"Winning games and playing good footy always helps," he said.

"It's a very simple game when you're off contract.

"If you win games and play good footy, everything seems to fall into place. That was my thought process going into this season.

"It probably didn't start that well, for me personally or us as a club, but the tide is definitely turning for us."

After playing in 24 games last year, in his first season at the Knights, Gamble said it was a "shock" to find himself in reserve grade, although he felt the demotion was ultimately beneficial.

"Obviously nobody wants to get dropped, but the coach did what he thought was right at the time," he said.

"And it was the right call, because the boys beat the Dragons without me.

"It hurt at the time, and hopefully I don't have to cop another tough call like that.

"But I'm playing with a chip on my shoulder now. I'm happy to be back in the NRL, we're winning some games, and there's a really good feeling in the squad."

Knights director of football Peter Parr said the club remained in discussions with Gamble's agent.

"We're working through the process," Parr said. "Tyson has said that he wants to stay, and we'd like to keep him, so that's a good starting point."

Meanwhile, veteran centre Dane Gagai appears set to re-sign with the Knights after reportedly knocking back a two-season offer to join Sydney Roosters.

Gagai, who will be 34 by the time next season kicks off, is Newcastle's oldest player but his form this season has been as good as at any point in his career.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Gotta love how a couple of clubs just write a shopping list of players they want and buy them like they’re groceries at the supermarket whilst everyone else has to fight with one hand tied behind their back.

Whilst I’m pleased we’re keeping Gags its as much out of principle as it is for what he brings to the team.

Knight Tales

Bench
is it time for clubs like the Titans to protest. A legit breeding ground for top line players pillaged all the time.
I would love to wake up to headline one day where the clubs like us, Panthers etc. all say we are off to form our own rebel competition. Challenge legally the TPA system in the game and failure for the NRL to reward development clubs. The development clubs are investing huge amounts of money and getting absolutely nothing back for it. PVL’s ego needs to he brought into line along with his equally arrogant and clueless offsider.
The way Ivan has been speaking of late I think something is about to give. Their most successful club ever on field just got trumped by a club who are obscenely advantaged. I hope they sign Angus Crichton.

Haffa

What can the Titans protest? Their own stupidity for allowing the clause which meant he could end his contract? Who did the titans "produce"?

Everyone forgets he was a Broncos junior and the titans outbid everyone for his services in the first place.

I don't mind beating the roosters with a stick, I just don't think you really can in this case.

Woosh

Head Moderator
The nib Newcastle Knights are pleased to confirm centre Dane Gagai has re-signed with the club for additional two National Rugby League seasons, with both parties agreeing to a mutual option for the final year of the deal.

Since making his NRL debut in 2011, Gagai has made 276 NRL appearances spread across a decorated 14-year career, including 178 NRL games over nine seasons in the red and blue Knights jersey.

Gagai, 33, has played International and State of Origin rugby league at the highest level for over a decade. One of the many highlights being named 2017 State of Origin Wally Lewis Medallist and winning the World Cup for Australia later that year.

nib Newcastle Knights Director of Football Peter Parr said the centre has been in exceptional form.

“Dane is one of the best outside backs in the NRL and is playing as well as ever,” Parr said.

“When you combine his on-field performance, experience and leadership, Dane is a highly valued member of our club.

“We believe this re-signing will not only benefit the current playing group but will assist educate and elevate future Newcastle Knights NRL players.

“We are delighted Dane has chosen to re-sign with the Knights.”

Woosh

Head Moderator
Woosh you got any mail on what the triggers for the option are?

I haven’t heard anything mate.
Probably has to play a certain a number of games in 2025 to trigger the second year.
It’s a pretty common clause for older players incase their form fall off a cliff/injuries.
Aaron Woods and Jarrod Croker had similar clauses

Journalist Michelle Bishop revealed the contract details on SEN over the weekend.

"On Sunday, against his former club, he (Woods) will play his 18th game, and that's enough to activate a 12-month deal with the club for 2023," Bishop said on air.

"So whether he stays or whether he goes, he's definitely guaranteed to remain in the NRL."

is it time for clubs like the Titans to protest. A legit breeding ground for top line players pillaged all the time.
I would love to wake up to headline one day where the clubs like us, Panthers etc. all say we are off to form our own rebel competition. Challenge legally the TPA system in the game and failure for the NRL to reward development clubs. The development clubs are investing huge amounts of money and getting absolutely nothing back for it. PVL’s ego needs to he brought into line along with his equally arrogant and clueless offsider.
The way Ivan has been speaking of late I think something is about to give. Their most successful club ever on field just got trumped by a club who are obscenely advantaged. I hope they sign Angus Crichton.
the cap should allow some dispensation if the player is a junior and developed by the club prior to 16 (the age the Roosters come calling)

The embarrassing problem for the Knights is they dont even develop their own players or at least ones of any quality.

Haffa

the cap should allow some dispensation if the player is a junior and developed by the club prior to 16 (the age the Roosters come calling)

The embarrassing problem for the Knights is they dont even develop their own players or at least ones of any quality.
Who is actually developing kids at that age? Matts hasn't been under 15s since 2003. All that will mean is Clubs like the Broncos would have 1000 kids age 13-16 on their books like they used to.

Who is actually developing kids at that age? Matts hasn't been under 15s since 2003. All that will mean is Clubs like the Broncos would have 1000 kids age 13-16 on their books like they used to.
I think you may have misunderstood.

If a club has an NRL player in their top 30 that has been at the club since a junior ( around15/16) then the club deserves to have some dispensation under the cap for developing that kid - Panthers being a perfect example.

Gotta love how a couple of clubs just write a shopping list of players they want and buy them like they’re groceries at the supermarket whilst everyone else has to fight with one hand tied behind their back.
Prior to the Las Vegas game it was briefly mentioned ( think it was on 360) the cap rort is the number 1 issue that needs to be fixed in order to address spreading quality players throughout the comp - expansion.

Seriously it's a joke. But good on them, the Rorters have smooth operators driving the machine to victory - that's their job.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The Titans should give themselves an uppercut for having that clause in the contract.

We were lucky to get away with a clause like that in the Ponga contract, but at least he re-signed. This sort of thing just invites the player to go elsewhere.

Latest posts