What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
I believe that Fox Sports is currently 100% owned by News Limited, where Foxtel is 50/50 between News and Telstra. So to remove Fox Sports from Foxtel wouldnt really benefit News Limited and it's 50% share in Foxtel .

Ah ok, so they were technically 2 different companies but had a common owner (news).

Fox Sports originally was 50/50 between News and PBL IIRC

I'm not sure that's quite right. The sports channel evolved from Galaxy's Premier Sports.

Foxtel was originally a 50/50 deal between News Corp and Telstra. At the end of the Super League war, PBL bought half of News Corp's share (so at that time it was owned 50% by Telstra, 25% News, 25% PBL). That was the first time that PBL had anything to do with Fox Sports.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'm not sure that's quite right. The sports channel evolved from Galaxy's Premier Sports.

Foxtel was originally a 50/50 deal between News Corp and Telstra. At the end of the Super League war, PBL bought half of News Corp's share (so at that time it was owned 50% by Telstra, 25% News, 25% PBL). That was the first time that PBL had anything to do with Fox Sports.
bought half in 99 http://variety.com/1999/biz/news/packer-picks-up-50-of-oz-s-fox-sports-net-1117756374/

Chipmunk

Coach
Incidentally, the Panthers played the four 'genuine contenders' (Storm, Roosters, Broncos and Sharks) only once each, the least amount of any other team in the comp. They also played all four in the first 9 rounds.

Probably explains their poor start to the season and their run to the finals now.

T.S Quint

Coach
Incidentally, the Panthers played the four 'genuine contenders' (Storm, Roosters, Broncos and Sharks) only once each, the least amount of any other team in the comp. They also played all four in the first 9 rounds.

Probably explains their poor start to the season and their run to the finals now.

We only play 1 of those teams (Broncos) twice, am I right? And we got the Storm before Origin.

Bloody good draw we've had as well.

Chipmunk

Coach
We only play 1 of those teams (Broncos) twice, am I right? And we got the Storm before Origin.

Bloody good draw we've had as well.

I don't think you'll find many complaining about our draw.

My comment was more about emphasing why maybe the Panthers started so slowly and why they've come home with a long run of victories late in the year.

T.S Quint

Coach
Yep, absolutely.
Just saying we have had some luck go our way for a change.
I reckon if we had to play the Storm twice (with all their Origin players), plus the Roosters twice then I'm not so sure we would be in as good a position as we are. We'd probably be outside the 8, most likely.
Hopefully we can have such a good draw every year, haha!

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep, absolutely.
Just saying we have had some luck go our way for a change.
I reckon if we had to play the Storm twice (with all their Origin players), plus the Roosters twice then I'm not so sure we would be in as good a position as we are. We'd probably be outside the 8, most likely.
Hopefully we can have such a good draw every year, haha!

I've got no doubt we are where we are because of our draw and the fact we only played the 4 contenders on 5 occasions and the Storm without their Origin players. Some teams in the comp played those 4 on 7 occasion. All 4 of those teams played each other twice also, emphasing their decent seasons.

Latest posts