What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
There's not really much room for a 'running five-eighth' these days. It requires a great halfback like Thurston to do all the first receiver work. Otherwise you need two halves that can play first receiver.

Blake Austin and Josh Reynolds are essentially running five-eighths.

Incorrect

Coach
Marshall said on last nights NRL 360 that he is a running five eight and that is his best position, not a half back. Just for those who think there is no difference in the roll of a 6 and 7.

Yeah he's a running half alright.... he runs straight across field and almost in to touch or throws a hospital pass for his outside men!

Good luck to him but he needs to accept the fact that he doesn't run 40 metres in 4.5 seconds anymore like he might have back in 05-06 at the Tigers... and that's why his running game that he thinks he's best at isn't what he's best at anymore.

hybrideel

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...r/news-story/0356683dd6e6ed8499dd9cb4ca7d0d7d

BRONCOS star James Roberts has been hit with a $20,000 fine but escaped suspension over two drunken incidents at Brisbane nightspots earlier this month.

Roberts was issued with a fine for public nuisance by authorities, but not arrested, and has avoided the axe ahead of the club’s crunch clash with Melbourne on Friday night.

The high profile speedster was involved in an incident in a Fortitude Valley nightclub earlier in August before being ejected from the Normanby Hotel and making headlines a week later.

Following an investigation by the NRL Integrity Unit and in consultation with the Rugby League Players Association, Roberts will commit to a personal development program after a checkered off-field history.

Broncos chief executive Paul White said the club would stand by the 23-year-old, who has been sacked by the Rabbitohs and Penrith due to previous off-field incidents.

“We informed the NRL of this matter before it became public and have continued to provide

them any and all assistance in their investigation,” White said in a club statement.

“This will be a total plan for James’ development and wellbeing, and will have high regard for both the issues of the past and what we are hoping for going into the future.”

Roberts arrived at the Broncos at the start of the year amid much hype after an embarrassing contract bungle saw him walk out on the Titans.

He has now committed to a ‘wellbeing plan’ that will include community service on designated days off and personal undertakings in a bid to keep his promising but controversial career alive.

When Roberts signed with the Titans two years ago it was on a strict “last chance” warning from the NRL, and came with a 12-month alcohol ban.

Broncos legends Darren Lockyer and Steve Renouf have urged Roberts to give up the grog in the wake of his recent behaviour, though it is unclear if this is a condition the Broncos will impose on their star centre.

Prior to the club’s statement on Roberts NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg declared comparisons between his behaviour and the eight-week ban handed to Roosters half Mitchell Pearce invalid.

“We don’t benchmark one against the other. I understand why the fans do. We can only deal with the facts and we judge those facts in front of us,” Greenberg said.

I'm shocked

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree. Every side has there own way of using their 7 and 6....
Yeah true. Most halves have different strengths and weaknesses to their halves partner, so of course it's unlikely the two will play exactly the same way even when they're split left and right (as they are in most teams). Most teams tend to favour one side and they will generally set up to attack mostly on their preferred side. The exception is when they are playing a team with a marked weakness opposite the other side, like how the Raiders left side got a lot more ball against us. They normally work left to Papalii and then shift right to Leilua/Rapana but against us they would have been mad not to focus on attacking our right edge.

Anyway my point is that terms like 'halfback' and 'five-eighth' are outdated. They haven't reflected what is happening on the field for about a decade. Certainly the number on a player's back doesn't necessarily tell us what position he is playing.

Incorrect

Coach
I wonder what it would take to lure Austin away from the Raiders (or for them to let him go)?

Apparently he was a Parra fan growing up & wanted to play for us.

I actually had this awful feeling that during the whole drawn out Corey Norman negotiations that Sticky might sneak in and sign him from under our noses... seeing as Staurt was the bloke who signed him to come to Parra in the first palce and also the fact that the Raiders seem to have no obvious cap issues... I thougth maybe he would happily jettison Austin to get Norman

Latest posts