What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Regardless what size forwards we run out, I see our major issue is our defence. We dont hit and stick therefore we dont stop momentum. In this regard Mannah was our worst offender last week. Scott was our best. There needs to be aggression in defence and it needs to continue for 80 minutes. Loosing Brown didnt help.
The new buzz phrase is "post contact meters". We also continue to loose the wrestle and our defensive play at marker is appalling.
Until these areas improve we will continue to be a middle of the road team.
Rant over.

Good observation.

Imo, it's linked to lack of size.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's much more likely linked to lack of linespeed and the lack of a leading player in defence, like Peats or IDG. Bigger players usually get found out more in defence.

True.

But I genuinely think we need one big body in the middle to help in the collisions in attack and defence.

I really like Matagi, but his lack of overall size hurts us, I think.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/b5250ba565dd7b621b307df244cf57b1

Luke Brooks: Why ‘hurt’ Mitchell Moses’ quit Wests Tigers for Parramatta Eels
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph

A ‘hurt’ Mitchell Moses demanded an immediate release from the Wests Tigers the moment the club prioritised retaining captain Aaron Woods and James Tedesco.

That’s according to former halves partner Luke Brooks after watching his housemate make his debut in Parramatta’s loss to Canberra last weekend.

Tigers fans are still seething Moses left so abruptly.

He was still being paid and even spared the humiliation of being relegated to reserve grade, something long-serving Tiger Robbie Farah was forced to do at the back end of last season.

While Brooks lives with Moses and Tedesco, he never once quizzed his mate about his contract situation, but quickly realised it was best for the club and player if they split.

“With all that contract stuff going on, and when they said Woodsy and Teddy were the priorities, that hurt him,’’ Brooks told The Daily Telegraph.

“I’m not sure of the exact reason, but that would have had something to do with it.

“You could tell he wasn’t happy and wanted to get out of here. We didn’t talk about it much. He wanted to leave, and it was up to him.

“I watched his first game (for Paramatta) on the TV, and thought he went pretty well considering he only had the two training sessions. It will take a while to get used to the player and new moves, but he’ll be better for the run.’’

Brooks was the only player of the so-called “Big Four’’ to re-sign with the Tigers, with his $1.1 million two-year deal finalised just before Moses joined the Eels, and Tedesco and Woods signed with the Sydney Roosters and Canterbury respectively.

The club upped the ante to keep Tedesco and Woods, and continue to make no apologies for putting five-eighth Moses on the backburner.

The 22-year-old Brooks suffered a recurring hamstring injury last Monday at training and missed the Broncos blowout at Suncorp Stadium, but declared himself a starter for Saturday week’s clash against St George Illawarra.

The Tigers are second last on the ladder, and will head into an intense three-day boot camp today on the northern beaches in a bid to spark the to life.

With Moses now gone, Brooks said he had the perfect chance to “really take control of the team’’.

“I play my best footy when I know I’m the one in charge and have to take the responsibility,’’ Brooks said.

“Me and Mitch were both dominant players. We had that thing where we wouldn’t get in each other’s way. Now he’s gone, I can really take control of the team.’’

As the New Zealand Warriors continue to deny Tui Lolohea an immediate release — and could do so the remainder of the year — Brooks will be joined in the halves by Jack Littlejohn, who is playing for a new deal.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/df8e2c4ae01f72cf9841c584480fe792

Gold Coast Titans playing hardball with Nathan Peats over contract extension
TRAVIS MEYN and PETER BADEL, The Courier-Mail
May 22, 2017 7:00pm

THE Titans are playing hardball with Blues debutant Nathan Peats, who is unlikely to secure the contract upgrade he is pushing for despite his Origin elevation.

Peats will make his State of Origin debut for NSW in next Wednesday’s series opener at Suncorp Stadium.

He arrived in Blues camp on Monday along with Titans teammate Jarryd Hayne as cover for hooker Peter Wallace, who was later ruled out for four to six weeks with a groin injury.

Peats and the Titans have been at loggerheads over a proposed contract extension with the dummy-half’s management rejecting two offers from the Gold Coast.

A sticking point of the negotiations has been the value of Origin clauses in the contract and Peats’ selection for the Blues is likely to further fuel the debate.

If Hayne, as expected, activates a $1.2 million option to stay at the Titans in 2018, it will become increasingly difficult for the Titans to increase their offer to Peats.

Peats may have earned his Origin debut through good fortune, but Titans teammate Anthony Don said he was ready for the step up and urged him to stay on the Gold Coast.

“Of course I hope he sticks around,” Don said. “He’s one of our best players.

“I hope he stays and signs on for the long-term. I look forward to seeing that happen. His form over the last few years has definitely warranted a call-up. He’s been one of our best players since he’s been at the club.

“He’s such a strong defensive player and plays good footy in attack too. He’s a player that will thrive in that environment.”

Hayne will play his first game for the Blues since 2014, the only series NSW has won in the past 11 years. He struggled at left centre against Manly in Saturday’s loss at Cbus Super Stadium, but Blues coach Laurie Daley will back The Hayne Plane’s experience from 20 Origin appearances.

While Hayne and Peats will play for NSW, Titans prop Jarrod Wallace will have to wait a little longer before making his Origin debut.

Wallace was on standby for veteran prop Nate Myles (knee), but Myles is expected to make his 32nd Origin appearance.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters said Wallace was agonisingly close to earning an Origin debut.

“Wallace was very close,” he said. “Given so many players won’t be there this year, Matt Scott, Greg Inglis, Corey Parker has retired and (Johnathan) Thurston in doubt for Game One, we needed as much experience as we can.

“Jarrod will play Origin at some stage, he can’t do anymore form wise and we’re aware of that, it’s just the situation for this game.

“We expect him to come into camp later this week. Jarrod has earned that right to be part of our systems and first hand to come in and enjoy what Origin is all about.”

Lichaa has potential I think i would like us to bring him over and it wouldn't be for ridiculous money either. His an upgrade and when he started to run with the footy yesterday in the first half he looked decent.

Absolutely Gutherson for me is the fullback we have to have there his a bog body, good kick return, great support player and great runner of the footy and is dangerous when he chimes into the attack cause he can pass, French doesn't. Something has to be done about his size and weight no doubt, I would be putting him on the wing and dropping Hoffman tbh.

That's why we are in such a pickle, who is there to sign? No one jumps out and grabs you, all the ones that did are signed elsewhere, I reckon McClean would have been awesome from Melbourne, but now there is not much at all. Evans will improve us no doubt but he alone will not get us where we wanna get too.

He looks the goods no doubt and would be upgrade also, he hasn't re-signed with the Storm yet.

Lillyman, Tagataese, Paasi, Gavet are all off contract, but there as good as it gets in the off contract department, hence why I just can't see anyone improving us all that much
Agree with everything but on McClean he signed with the Cowboys I think you will find.

Bazal

Post Whore
Something dramatic like the Titans refusing to offer more than 450k for an Origin hooker, while we offer 600k?

That would be nice....any idea who Stagger was talking about in terms of signing a hooker?

Djay

Juniors
Agree with everything but on McClean he signed with the Cowboys I think you will find.
Yea his gone up North unfortunately.

I would be throwing everything at Peats and the kitchen sink too, his a must and yes give him 600k cause his worth it.

hindy111

Post Whore
Isacc luke might be an option. Im sure the warriors wouldnt be against losing him. He hasnt worked out and he might be homesick.

Forty20

First Grade
He had promise at Newcastle (if true). Still only stopgap.

Throw 600k at Peats and be done with it I say

Pure guesswork on my end but we might be contemplating between committing significant funds to a talented but highly injury prone option (Peats) or wearing a stop-gap solution (Rein/Clydesdale/???) if we think Reed Mahoney is our man.

hindy111

Post Whore
Is Rein any better then Kaysa. I dont think Kaysa has been awfull. Behind a mud forward pack. If he played behind the roosters he would look quiet dynamic.

Kaysa is kicking more, running more and setting up a few tries with neat passes. His defense needs a little more work. But i think its improving.

Needs to add 3 or 4 kgs.

Bazal

Post Whore
Is Rein any better then Kaysa. I dont think Kaysa has been awfull. Behind a mud forward pack. If he played behind the roosters he would look quiet dynamic.

Kaysa is kicking more, running more and setting up a few tries with neat passes. His defense needs a little more work. But i think its improving.

Needs to add 3 or 4 kgs.

Kaysa is not an 80 minute, NRL starting hooker. Rein is. Not a very good one, but he leads the line in defence and makes a bunch of tackles. Kaysa also can't get his forwards on the front foot....although Rein probably can't either.