What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My concern with woods is that he plays to have those stats on the board. His off the ball involvement appears low, his decoy runs you know he isn't getting the ball. Wouldn't be a fan of the signing, would much rather someone who may not get the numbers on the sheet like Woods does but has a higjer energy.

To be fair to Woods he really hasnt had the greatest club coaches.

And Brown has shown what BA can do.

Additionally the thing that I like about Woods is he offloading ability, it’s what we miss around the ruck (plus his work rate is great).

T.S Quint

Coach
Woods is a good player, makes metres and has decent defence. His offloading ability would be greatly appreciated in our team.
My problems with Woods (apart from his exorbitant price tag, which I don't think he's worth) is that I rarely see him get a quick play-the-ball. He has great post-contact metres, but are they more important than a quick PTB these days? I'm not so sure. He's hard to take down, and often drags defenders along when sometimes it might be worth getting to ground quickly to play the ball.

I think he could add a lot to our team, but only at a much smaller salary than the Dogs are reportedly paying. We already have beefed up our middle forward stocks with Junior, and we have a bunch already contracted for next season anyway. I'd like us to focus on improving the hooker position, hopefully add an edge forward (someone with some line-breaking ability) and maybe another winger with some size.

Woods is a good player, makes metres and has decent defence. His offloading ability would be greatly appreciated in our team.
My problems with Woods (apart from his exorbitant price tag, which I don't think he's worth) is that I rarely see him get a quick play-the-ball.

According to the article Joshua quoted, Woods average play the ball speed (3.27 secs) is quicker than RCG's (3.51 secs), and that's over a pretty decent sample at this stage of the season. Seems ok to me.

According to the article Joshua quoted, Woods average play the ball speed (3.27 secs) is quicker than RCG's (3.51 secs), and that's over a pretty decent sample at this stage of the season. Seems ok to me.
But is that just measured from the call of held? I doubt anyone keeps stats on the time from contact to held (or even to the play the ball) but this is where I think he is losing time, even though he gets extra metres. The speed of his play the ball is aided by his ability to stay on his feet but is offset by the slowness of his post contact metres. It's a theory anyway.

But is that just measured from the call of held? I doubt anyone keeps stats on the time from contact to held (or even to the play the ball) but this is where I think he is losing time, even though he gets extra metres. The speed of his play the ball is aided by his ability to stay on his feet but is offset by the slowness of his post contact metres. It's a theory anyway.

So, we should contrast the PCM against PCS (Post Contact Seconds) to get a PCM/s rate, then contrast this against the speed of the play the ball.

So, we should contrast the PCM against PCS (Post Contact Seconds) to get a PCM/s rate, then contrast this against the speed of the play the ball.

Possibly, though I think the relation between this measure and value to the team is probably no linear. So, would probably have take the log of the ratio, or perhaps the square root.