What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

oldmancraigy

Coach
Because it would have resolved itself with all the personnel changes over nearly four decades.

I am extremely unconvinced the “finances are in place” to match clubs like Penrith. They claimed to have spent $17M in 2019 while we only spent about $10M in the same year. You’ve implied we could match their spend if we felt like it, but I can’t see why we wouldn’t. It is coming out of no merkin’s pocket other than the PLC.

I believe, after watching the game for decades and seeing how it’s far from a level playing field, and how often ‘personalities’ are involved with successful clubs, that there is an unofficial economy distorting the playing field that is ostensibly leveled by the salary caps. I feel this unofficial economy is why some clubs (e.g. Penrith, Easts, Melbourne and Souths) can benefit from heavy pathways investment while others (e.g. Wests until about 2015 when they gave up, or Parra) struggle to retain the juniors they want to bring up to the NRL squad.

Sorry, but that seems fairly naive...

oldmancraigy

Coach
Oh well, you can go on wondering why we trend average, decade after decade. I’ll keep waiting for new information that disproves my theory. It’s why God gave us science.

Your theory is naive because it disregards available evidence that already disproves it.

(Why do I bother? Enjoy your conspiracy theories and blind fandom coupled with rage at imaginary resources everyone else has that we don't.)

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We won SG Ball last year and now the four best players are in reserve grade instead of Flegg. We also made the finals again in Ball and Matts.
Great Success Win GIF

Gherkin

Juniors
I am surprised your club has not gone after Fifita .you have a ageing forward pack he could be the difference between making the 8 and winning the comp
Could be an opportunity for a double signing, I'm assuming his partner will be moving back to Sydney with him.
We've got more important positions to fill in the squad though starting at #9

King-Gutho94

Coach
I am surprised your club has not gone after Fifita .you have a ageing forward pack he could be the difference between making the 8 and winning the comp
He probably would but i have also seen so many big money signings fail at this joint in the past 25 years.

I could see Fifita coming here on big money and being an absolute disaster.

I just dont feel we would get best out of him and leaves us in a big hole cap wise.

oldmancraigy

Coach
We have just signed Lomax. Nobody off contract. Our books are full untill basically Gutherson end of 2025 and then 2026.
Won't be any good untill 2027

Sad news is that I think we have a decent amount of $$ free right now...

My understanding (could be wrong!) is that we want to be active in finding a bargain player whonwants a mid season change of scenery. We've adopted this tactic more than once - including last year where it probably didn't work out (depending on your perspective l suppose?)

Latest posts