What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
A certain court case... while the court may not have found certain allegations proven (for its purposes), I'm yet to be convinced he is "innocent" of said allegations (in a non-legal sense).

So without any shred of evidence whatsoever you're going to call a person guilty for domestic violence?

There's only one grub in this situation, and that's you.

lingard

Coach
A certain court case... while the court may not have found certain allegations proven (for its purposes), I'm yet to be convinced he is "innocent" of said allegations (in a non-legal sense).

"Yet to be convinced" of someone's innocence is (luckily) a far cry from being convinced of his guilt.
You react 'as though' he is guilty of domestic violence. You also 'seem' to view all domestic violence cases as the same (which they aren't). It is true that, sometimes (maybe often), a woman's voice is muffled by the court system. There can also be a significant power imbalance at play - and when you are talking about a high profile sports-person with lots of supporters with vested interests, it 'could be' a case of her voice being squashed in favour of his. However, for every situation like this we also get the other one - where political correctness tells us that NO MATTER WHAT the circumstance, the male is the evil perpetrator, and the female is the innocent victim. In this model, the male voice is completely unheard and the woman's behaviour not even looked at. And, of course, the male is referred to as a grub or other such labels - often totally unjustly. I'm so glad that you are able (through some magical powers of vision) to have made a definitive determination in this case. I'm also glad, for Semi's sake, and the girl's sake, that your determination doesn't mean anything to them.
I think that domestic violence is a horrible problem in society. But it is not exclusively a male problem. And for just as long as we keep viewing it as exclusively a male problem, we will never solve it.
For years, as a kid, I was impacted by sustained and ongoing domestic violence (mostly verbal, sometimes physical) between my mother and my father. Now, I love them both, and I hate to say this, but most of it was my mother's fault. She couldn't help a lot of it because she had a mental illness. But most of it wasn't my father's fault.
Domestic violence is NOT a one-size fits all scenario.
Semi 'might' be a grub. He might just as easily not be. Or he might be a grub in some contexts or situations or times in his life but not in others. Like you. Or me. Or most people. Your black and white view of the world would scare me if not for the fact that most people don't adhere to it. Luckily.
End of rant.

forward pass

Coach
Just seen these stats on Parra, they have scored 54 tries so far but from the 50th minute have only scored 14 tries. We'll never win a premiership with those poor stats. The good teams pick up their effort from about 50th min and put most other teams to the sword.
So what is our problem, imo its our pack. No decent props to dominate their opposition. And our last 20 mins is diabolical, think we have only won that quarter only twice this year!

Useless stat unless you show what the 'good' teams are scoring after 50 minutes.

Bazal

Post Whore
Useless stat unless you show what the 'good' teams are scoring after 50 minutes.

And also how many games we win/lose with the corresponding points in those final 30....IE how often are we defending a lead and winning vs chasing a deficit and winning or chasing a deficit and losing.

It doesn't matter if you don't score a point in the last half hour of a grand final if you can defend a 12 point lead....

Forty20

First Grade
I think I heard a stat today that Parra haven't lost a semi-final game since 2007.
In fact that is the longest not-losing a semi final streak of all the current clubs.

That's some inverse Michael Jordan stuff right there. Love it. :cool:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think I heard a stat today that Parra haven't lost a semi-final game since 2007.
In fact that is the longest not-losing a semi final streak of all the current clubs.
We also haven't been beaten by a cap compliant team in a Semi Final since 2005.

strider

Post Whore
"Yet to be convinced" of someone's innocence is (luckily) a far cry from being convinced of his guilt.
You react 'as though' he is guilty of domestic violence. You also 'seem' to view all domestic violence cases as the same (which they aren't). It is true that, sometimes (maybe often), a woman's voice is muffled by the court system. There can also be a significant power imbalance at play - and when you are talking about a high profile sports-person with lots of supporters with vested interests, it 'could be' a case of her voice being squashed in favour of his. However, for every situation like this we also get the other one - where political correctness tells us that NO MATTER WHAT the circumstance, the male is the evil perpetrator, and the female is the innocent victim. In this model, the male voice is completely unheard and the woman's behaviour not even looked at. And, of course, the male is referred to as a grub or other such labels - often totally unjustly. I'm so glad that you are able (through some magical powers of vision) to have made a definitive determination in this case. I'm also glad, for Semi's sake, and the girl's sake, that your determination doesn't mean anything to them.
I think that domestic violence is a horrible problem in society. But it is not exclusively a male problem. And for just as long as we keep viewing it as exclusively a male problem, we will never solve it.
For years, as a kid, I was impacted by sustained and ongoing domestic violence (mostly verbal, sometimes physical) between my mother and my father. Now, I love them both, and I hate to say this, but most of it was my mother's fault. She couldn't help a lot of it because she had a mental illness. But most of it wasn't my father's fault.
Domestic violence is NOT a one-size fits all scenario.
Semi 'might' be a grub. He might just as easily not be. Or he might be a grub in some contexts or situations or times in his life but not in others. Like you. Or me. Or most people. Your black and white view of the world would scare me if not for the fact that most people don't adhere to it. Luckily.
End of rant.
Not a "rant" at all ... excellent objective post mate