What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Agree. It's much more an even playing field since the 2000s. And I reckon right now we are seeing a shift that is making it even harder. As a club not many are left that tolerate bullshit from players and being complete professional.
Warriors,Dogs and even the Tigers are sorting their shit out. I reckon a few did only 3 or 4 yrs ago. We as a club only become stable since 2017.

It's a lot harder to compete now when every other club has caught on. I would be suprised if we see sides who are appalling for 5-6yrs periods moving forward. It's easy to laugh at the Tigers but to be fair to them as a side they've not been as bad as results suggest.
They had every chance to win against Parra,Dogs,Knights,Manly. I feel all those games where flip of coins and it wouldn’t of taken much for them to have been 4 wins there. They also hung with Melbourne ok.

It was only the Brisbane loss that was actually embarrassing. There is still time for them to show they are moving forward. They'll start winning shortly I feel.
Last 2 Tigers games Manly and Parra have rocked up just expecting to win by 40.

Its almost as it the tigers are that bad now teams just mentally expect to win and clock off.

The tigers still can't take advantage of it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In the 80s you had to many teams with weaknesses. In the current NRL most aides don't have many players you can out and out target. There is a few but they can be hidden by a smart coach. Plus everyone now is a dedicated athlete on diets etc. They aren't smoking at halftime and eating a pie ffs.
I’m not thinking about whether players smoke, more about the amount of money in the game and the way it’s distributed.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon 99 was our best chance, that side had quality all over the park. With some gun juniors. We had enough chances to win 5 games that night. Billy Harrigan was not our friend with that night a BS strip call that lead to a try and they also went in off a forward pass.
Was Billy ever our friend.

That stitch up i think in 2002 up in newcastle where we were down to 10 men screwed our season.

We lost our next 4 games after that disgrace.

84 Baby

Referee
2001 and 2005 were really the Premierships that got away. 2009 and 2022 we were well underdog in both encounters and unlikely to ever get the victory over a more experienced grand final opponents. 1998 we were unlikely to have won the GF had we made it, and it would've ended much like 2009 and 2022.
We would’ve been morals in 98 (assuming Brian Smith didn’t shit himself midweek). We played so comfortably over Brisbane that season.

f**ken Carige….

emjaycee

Coach
I agree with hindy111 that there has been inadequate planning and development by the coach and management since Reed departed - I actually wanted Jayden Berrell from qld in late 2021!

I would honestly have Jayden Yates off the bench

not ideal but he is a solid player and he may rise to the level as Hands has done

we haven’t prepared anyone else - the thing is we don’t know if Yates can handle it, but it is obvious to all but a select few that Hodgson no longer can
So just so I am clear, your opinion is that Jayden Yates is a better player than Josh Hodgson?

JokerEel

Coach
So just so I am clear, your opinion is that Jayden Yates is a better player than Josh Hodgson?

That's an interesting one on 2023 form I haven't watched enough of Yates.

If you were going to start Hands as your main hooker and have someone play 20 off the Bench you would have to pick Hodgson as his defence couldn't be that bad against tired players..

But then you could go with Yates and hope he develops into a first grade player.. waffle over

Gazzamatta

Coach
Starting Hands with The Pom on the bench requires 2 changes when The Pom starts arm grabbing after 15. Much better starting The Pom but hooking him after 15. Id be tempted to have Rein play the role of The Pom. It was his birthday this week. Lets make a gift of it.

forward pass

Coach
When is the last time we attracted a marquee player to the club - Foran in 2016? We don’t even seem to bother anymore.

Embarrassing when you consider that Souths have managed to attract 3 of the biggest names to the club - Inglis, Latrell and Wighton. We seem to always have too much money tied up when superstar players become available.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Feel sorry for Drags and Dogs on Sunday. One side will be declared favourites by the officials while the other is royally screwed.
Referee Grant Atkins
Bunker Kasey Badger
The 2 biggest "look at me" show ponies in the game.
Good luck.

Tiger5150

Bench
JMK was just sitting there waiting after Reed went to the Dogs.

Would have gotten him a lot cheaper then Reed went for at the dogs.

When JMK went to the Phins, most Tigers fans (including me) were relieved because we were worried he would come "home" to Benji. No one thought he could play the way Wayne has got him cracking.

Tiger5150

Bench
If we want pure speed and and old fashioned style type of winger, then Alofiana Khan-Pereira is unsigned for next year and available. He is NRL read and playing real well for the Titans right now. If we can sign a couple of decent front rowers then I would definitely have a crack at him.

If we can't nab the front rowers we need then I would be looking at someone like his fellow wing partner type in Phillip Sami. A real metre eater. But he isn't off contract till 2024.

I can't believe that the Titans haven't already locked Khan-Pereira up. If Glacier moved quickly, you never know, we could sneak in and nab him under the Titans very noses. But then again, who am I kidding.
You guys promised....
Untitled-design-9-1-1200x800.png

Tiger5150

Bench
Last 2 Tigers games Manly and Parra have rocked up just expecting to win by 40.

Its almost as it the tigers are that bad now teams just mentally expect to win and clock off.

The tigers still can't take advantage of it.

Tigers actually arent that bad. I actually feel that this is the best Tigers side since 2011 and player for player its a much better side than 2011..........massive caveat that we have no halves. We have won 6 of 14 halves this year, lost 4 of teh 7 by a converted try or less. Been on the right end of the stats sheet on all but two games.

Simply have no halves.....and no points.

IFR33K

Coach

I honestly wouldn’t know who’s better but I know the game is to fast for Hodgson and it’s not waiting for him. And I def know he’s not the answer or the future.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why would any marquee player come here??? The footy will just be coached out of them by Sir Baldalot. Barrett got the reins for about 3 weeks before we went back to Bea and Murph ball. I can see him leaving before the season is up.

Latest posts