What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
I disagree mate. I’ve just said the board have given him every opportunity to succeed. Too many opportunities as it seems. They’re loyalty is admirable but foolish.
Can I just say, that I agree that BA's time is coming to an end and I have no issue with that.

But it's a bit disingenuous to say that the board has given him too many opportunities to succeed, when since the current board came in, he has only been given one chance to succeed (depending on your measure of success) and that is this year after last year missing the 8. The current board arrived in 2019 and the team has gone 5th, 3rd, 6th, 4th and 10th with 1 GF appearance. In the 4 times we have made the top 8, we have made the SF 3 times and the GF once. Not as successful as we would have liked, sure but 8 teams make the finals and only 1 succeeds every year.

By the same measures, has Trent Robinson been given too many opportunities by the Roosters board? Sure he has won 1 GF in the last 5 years but he did that with future immortal Cronk and countless number of Origin and Test stars in his team. In the same period Roosters have gone 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th with 1 GF appearance for a win in 2019. Bumped out in a QF in 2022 and haven't made a Prelim except for the year they won the GF. And who can argue we have had a better squad over the same 5 years???

Again, I am not defending BA and I don't think he will be our coach in 2025, but a bit of balance in some posts wouldn't hurt. In fact, @Happy MEel, I thought you were better than that mate.

emjaycee

Coach
Then why do we have to source rumours?

I get sourcing like signings and official stuff from nrl or parraeels website but why do have to source from podcasts, websites and news media of they are extrapolating stuff

So that any blame later on can be attributed elsewhere in the event of a legal challenge.

84 Baby

Referee
I disagree mate. I’ve just said the board have given him every opportunity to succeed. Too many opportunities as it seems. They’re loyalty is admirable but foolish.
I don’t even think it’s loyalty. Seems to me more fear of decision making. At best it’s terrible communication

Gronk

Staff member
I propose they’re not and have some contacts that may have given some idea of what’s going on.

Regardless, whether we’re jumping on the journo’s comments or taking our own view based on the last 11 years, the position we’re taking is more than reasonable.
Which has not nothing to do with me, even though you said I was making a ridiculous argument.

emjaycee

Coach
I don’t even think it’s loyalty. Seems to me more fear of decision making. At best it’s terrible communication
Terrible communication with whom?
Us members? We are the paying customers who buy the product or maybe the equivalent of shareholders, but even that isnt true. Not too many companies announce what they are doing with internal restructures and dismissal of key staff to customers and all shareholders before they do it. Why is this different?

And for all we know, BA may have already been informed of his future by the CEO and Board.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I reckon the eels have an “aging” squad is a bit overstated.

Gutho, is off contract next year. But is still going good enough plus can move spots if required. He is off contract next year.

Moses, halves get better with age.

Our pack, Lane, Matterson and Cartwright are only 30 this year. First 2 are only contracted until 32. While Paulo/RGC are only 32 next year. RCG is off contract next year Paulo the year after.

Offa is only 30 next year.

So the oldest we have on contract will be Paulo in 2026 at 33.

Look at the Dolphins, age isn’t a worry for their pack, their ages this year - Bromwich 35 and 33, Nicholls 34, Kaufusi 32.

But in saying that we do need some more youth and obviously speed in our side.

we do have the following youngsters all who are a chance of getting NRL time next year:

Talagi - only 19. He is going ok
Arthur - only 19. Looks promising
Guymer - 20. Developing ok.
Richard Pensini - reckon he wouId have been a smokie for a backline spot this year if not injured. Hopefully recovers well
AMS - promising but probably more a back up
Sam T - probably couple years away.

Then in forwards we have players 25 or younger, in Hopgood who is pretty young. Then fringe forwards Moretti, Doorey, Tuilagi and Greig.

So with Lomax coming, Russell/Pensini being young and Talagi, plus with the injured players coming back, there is a fair bit of youth in the backs. If we could recruit another promising youngster with some NRL experience (maybe Armstrong?), the backs are looking good.

With our forwards it won’t take to much to add some “youth” to the side. We have a few fringe edge options plus Guymer. Hopgood is young. Also wouldn’t be surprised if MA jags a bench spot next year. Suddenly if MA, and one of those options jag a spot, the pack isn’t that old.

With Sam T still a while away, maybe we need to try to pick up a young prop. Additionally we have some cash available leading into 2026 so we could recruit too.

So I don’t think the squad is as “older” as some claim. There is a decent blend. BTW not saying our squad is perfect, there are issues like back depth this year.
I don't think we're old but we are definitely looking it atm.

Our forwards look like they have chased one too many collisions physically.

Our 2nd halves have been very poor and we tire at back end of games.

Is that age, fitness or just the petrol tank running low from 4 or 5 playing the power game under BA.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think we're old but we are definitely looking it atm.

Our forwards look like they have chased one too many collisions physically.

Our 2nd halves have been very poor and we tire at back end of games.

Is that age, fitness or just the petrol tank running low from 4 or 5 playing the power game under BA.
Many possible reasons…..but wouldn’t be surprised a few are playing injured.

we didn’t really tire in the Penrith, first Manly or Cowboys game. Even the manly second game we hang in the game during a lot pressure in the second half (why is another discussion) until the 70th min (2 tries v 1, penalty count against us, Pensini binning).

Probably only Raiders / Dolphins game we got blown away in the second half

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Can I just say, that I agree that BA's time is coming to an end and I have no issue with that.

But it's a bit disingenuous to say that the board has given him too many opportunities to succeed, when since the current board came in, he has only been given one chance to succeed (depending on your measure of success) and that is this year after last year missing the 8. The current board arrived in 2019 and the team has gone 5th, 3rd, 6th, 4th and 10th with 1 GF appearance. In the 4 times we have made the top 8, we have made the SF 3 times and the GF once. Not as successful as we would have liked, sure but 8 teams make the finals and only 1 succeeds every year.

By the same measures, has Trent Robinson been given too many opportunities by the Roosters board? Sure he has won 1 GF in the last 5 years but he did that with future immortal Cronk and countless number of Origin and Test stars in his team. In the same period Roosters have gone 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th with 1 GF appearance for a win in 2019. Bumped out in a QF in 2022 and haven't made a Prelim except for the year they won the GF. And who can argue we have had a better squad over the same 5 years???

Again, I am not defending BA and I don't think he will be our coach in 2025, but a bit of balance in some posts wouldn't hurt. In fact, @Happy MEel, I thought you were better than that mate.
And to be fair, the general view of the board being reported in the media, is they are waiting to see how we go this year before making a decision on BA’s future.

seems like they are open to change, but not being rushed because the media is talking about us or Bennett is trying to use us to talk up his price!

it really isn’t an unreasonable approach.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Not true - if he was coaching the Las Vegas Raiders, he'd be a Life Member.
Well the Raiders have sacked 4 coaches since BA has started so clearly they don't give anyone 11 years.

Gruden might have been there still if it wasn't for his disgraceful behaviour that didn't give them any choice.

Pazza

First Grade
Well the Raiders have sacked 4 coaches since BA has started so clearly they don't give anyone 11 years.

Gruden might have been there still if it wasn't for his disgraceful behaviour that didn't give them any choice.

The philadelphia eagles sacked a superbowl winning coach cause they weren't satisfied with the direction of the team a couple of years after winning it all.

Happy MEel

First Grade

That’s a fair point regarding the new board as I don’t really differentiate between the new and old administration. However, we’re now 5 years on from that, we were terrible last year and we’re worse this year after 8 rounds. We potentially had a chance to land one of the best coaches ever and it appears we’ve turned him down.

In all honesty, you may have thought I was better than that but I had this same conversation with you in person last year re. Arthur and you were staunchly in favour of keeping him. It would seem I was correct as you yourself admit he probably needs to go. If the Board made a ballsy decision last year we may not be in this mess.

84 Baby

Referee
Terrible communication with whom?
Us members? We are the paying customers who buy the product or maybe the equivalent of shareholders, but even that isnt true. Not too many companies announce what they are doing with internal restructures and dismissal of key staff to customers and all shareholders before they do it. Why is this different?

And for all we know, BA may have already been informed of his future by the CEO and Board.
I’d have the relationship for fans as the 2nd largest stakeholder after the actual “owner” the PLC, only because if things were to go to complete shit, the fans would leave before the PLC disposed the licence. Our stake in the club is even greater than the NRL who pay more money and are more reliant on the franchise licence.
The terrible communication is in they are apparently happy to let speculation run among the fanbase with zero care. They’d be better off giving BA the old “vote of confidence” rather than waiting to see how we go when we get players back. At least then we won’t always be held to what players were available at the time we may have considered moving on a coach. Of course we’ll be better when Moses is back but that shouldn’t be the defining metric of whether BA stays or goes.
Our board are Aaron Burr from Hamilton

Latest posts