What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
You’d have to think that Bennett might have been able to bring down some Dolphins players with him. I’d take Tesi Niu who is off contract and push for Jeremy Marshal King to get a release (or sign him for 2026). He’d be a revelation for us. Hell, I’d take Kodi Nikorima as a 14 as well.

But no, that’s not what we’re after apparently.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Money!! You reckon any of these merkins would do it voluntarily? They’re paid very well. There’s a reason for that. It’s a big motivation.

And attached to that money is the fact that if you don't perform, they'll find someone else who will.

Oh, wait - that's a winner's attitude, which has no place at the Eels.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon an external coach coming in looks at an 11 year tenure, regardless of the various boards that may have been overseeing the organisation.
They will look at the conditions around the sacking. I’m not the only person who thinks Arthur shouldn’t be the fall guy for the past 18 months (there's also our board and the bloke from Rugby League Eye Test). Maybe Arthur does need to go, but it'll be based on events behind the scenes - strained relationships with senior players and other stakeholders, for example - rather than two lean years with a 45% win rate. Merkins wanted him gone after 2018 and then we went on to have a very good four years full of hope, joy and death riders.

yy_cheng

Coach
You’d have to think that Bennett might have been able to bring down some Dolphins players with him. I’d take Tesi Niu who is off contract and push for Jeremy Marshal King to get a release (or sign him for 2026). He’d be a revelation for us. Hell, I’d take Kodi Nikorima as a 14 as well.

But no, that’s not what we’re after apparently.
I think isako is quite good too

We were interested in him a while back

eels_fan

First Grade
Anyone heard anything on Moses?

lot of talk early in the week that he’d be seeing a surgeon on Wednesday to hopefully get the all ok to return round 11 vs storm, since Wednesday zero news.

Glenneel

Bench
I know TCT can't bite the hands that feed them, but their argument that Bennett is past it and not a good choice to coach any team is laughable and just about destroys any credibility they thought they had.

You shouldn't keep a coach for more than 5 years without winning a Comp. For a decade, you would think at least two Comps.
If you equate time as a coach with time in office as a political party, 10 years seems the time limit of when staleness really hits and ideas dry up. BA has reached his ceiling, probably before 10 years, and staleness has set in. Time to go.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If you equate time as a coach with time in office as a political party, 10 years seems the time limit of when staleness really hits and ideas dry up. BA has reached his ceiling, probably before 10 years, and staleness has set in. Time to go.
Im as anti Sticky Stuart as they come but hes had the same time at Canberra and seems to be able to rejuvenate his team over and over. New recruits, develop juniors, cope with injurys, suspensions etc.
Who would want to go to Canberra but they make it happen.
I know they arent world beaters but I think they are working the systems far better than our club currently.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Why would you equate those things? They’re not the same at all.

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
I’m not all in on Bennett but I’m liking the idea of Cheika.
Picking Cheika would be like picking an unproven coach, say a BA. Man managing is only one aspect of a RL team with roster selection probably the biggest factor for success. If Cheika keeps abreast with current trends in RL he might be successful but with his background (union) would he be able to build a squad that could be successful? He is a great unknown and picking him could be like picking BA all over again.

Another coach/s mentioned are the Walker Bros. Were successful with Ipswich for 1 season (I believe) but many of their ideas have been adopted by modern coaches. So would they have the same impact on our club as they were back when they started coaching Ipswich? Does anybody know their current history?

Macguire appears a polarising figure and imo better suited for short stints and not as a fulltime coach. Would probably end badly after a number of years.

Any other local or SL coaches worth considering?