What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Zoso

Juniors
Picking Cheika would be like picking an unproven coach, say a BA. Man managing is only one aspect of a RL team with roster selection probably the biggest factor for success. If Cheika keeps abreast with current trends in RL he might be successful but with his background (union) would he be able to build a squad that could be successful? He is a great unknown and picking him could be like picking BA all over again.

Another coach/s mentioned are the Walker Bros. Were successful with Ipswich for 1 season (I believe) but many of their ideas have been adopted by modern coaches. So would they have the same impact on our club as they were back when they started coaching Ipswich? Does anybody know their current history?

Macguire appears a polarising figure and imo better suited for short stints and not as a fulltime coach. Would probably end badly after a number of years.

Any other local or SL coaches worth considering?
Agree on the reasons why a club would avoid Chieka. Could be an interesting experiment and I’d like to see it, but maybe in a parallel universe first. Probably better suited to a club like the Roosters or Melbourne where everything else seems to be in place already and the risk to him is less, as well.
What you say about the Walkers reinforces that tactics can be copied or brought in through assistants.
Sooo….
We don’t want an unproven coach (eg. BA, Kearney, Chieka).
We need more than a tactical coach (eg. Walkers or Smithy).
We also want a rebuild and focus on development, so no mercenaries, career coaches or journeymen (eg. Bennett, Stuart, Hagan).
We don’t want some volatile merkin (Maguire).
We need a coach with man management, presence, credibility, and leadership.
I think we’re looking for a unicorn.

Delboy

First Grade
As Hiney says you can’t help bad luck

these players were forced off the field in the first half

Round 2 Bailey Simmonson
Round 3 Reece Walsh
Round 5 Reuben Garrick
Round 7 Junior Tupou
Roind 8 Tom Chester

all of which forced a difficult backline replacement with an edge forward moving to centre

Strangely all against Penrith 🤔 , they’re lucky I guess.

Noise

Coach
So your telling me that a franchise that dominated the 1980s won numerous championships & the owners actually still demand continuous success 35-40 years later.

By ruthlessly sacking its coach despite making the playoffs.
And they have won 5 or 6 in the last 20 odd years too. Some sports franchises actually want to be successful

King-Gutho94

Coach
And they have won 5 or 6 in the last 20 odd years too. Some sports franchises actually want to be successful
1714790523480.png

I am not a lakers fan but gee I thought this was a great documentary series they produced on the 1980s Lakers Dynasty.

John C Reilly playing Jerry Buss was outstanding.

And the whole series on when Buss basically bought the Lakers and made them the biggest ticket in American Sport in 1980s and also the rivalry with Boston.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Picking Cheika would be like picking an unproven coach, say a BA. Man managing is only one aspect of a RL team with roster selection probably the biggest factor for success. If Cheika keeps abreast with current trends in RL he might be successful but with his background (union) would he be able to build a squad that could be successful? He is a great unknown and picking him could be like picking BA all over again.

Another coach/s mentioned are the Walker Bros. Were successful with Ipswich for 1 season (I believe) but many of their ideas have been adopted by modern coaches. So would they have the same impact on our club as they were back when they started coaching Ipswich? Does anybody know their current history?

Macguire appears a polarising figure and imo better suited for short stints and not as a fulltime coach. Would probably end badly after a number of years.

Any other local or SL coaches worth considering?
Brian McDermott. Exactly what we need.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Our track record with Poms in the past 25 years is ordinary.

Thorman, Mossop, Hodgson.

I would rather steer clear of them.
They were players.
Malcom Reilley like coach.
Look into McDermott. He is badass.
Combat soldier.
Pro Boxer.
Player
Four times GF winning coach with Leeds.
Serving NRL apprenticeship with the Knights

Last edited: