What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Not off the top of my head but there would definitely be something. Essentially, I am not sure what the rules of LX are.
It appears to be soccer with a stick. I’d change the name from Lacrosse to Stickball.
I'd like to see rugby league played with a stick. Maybe the players could use sticks in defence.

The Predictor

Juniors
Girdler says that if you ask the parra fans they will tell you they want to win a title….that statement will be proven incorrect if you ask Pou or Gronk and others have confirmed they are not concerned whether parra win another comp or not

I think our fans are the problem as the board clearly doesn’t feel pressure to win a comp as they know many of our fans are just happy to have a team in the nrl and don’t really care if we win or lose

somehow the board needs to get the message that a premiership is the actual ultimate goal - and pre-empting the troll response, yes I WOULD think the board would know that, but evidence shows they clearly don’t
That’s what I’ve been saying forever, that our fans are dopes who continue to support the club no matter what , I’m sure the board sit and rub their hands taking the piss when playing in capacity home ground

Last edited:

King-Gutho94

Coach
His career has been very different since 2006 compared to before it. Something he said after that premiership win struck me as odd. He mentioned it was the most satisfying win of his career basically because the team was weak compared to previous premiership sides. That team had nine players picked in Origin that year and it was weaker than historical Broncos squads? It shows how massively resourced the Broncos were in the beginning. But it also shows that by 2006 something had happened to reduce their ability to accumulate playing talent. They were still far better than most clubs but not how they used to be.

It just so happens that 2006 was close to the midpoint of Wayne Bennett's career, and the two halves (pre- and post-2004/5) have yielded very different results, including in his second stint at the Broncos:

YearsNumber of seasonsNumber of clubsWin rateGrand finalsPremierships
1987-200418265%65
2005-202318658%42

But he is obviously a great coach, certainly better than Brad Arthur's. He would definitely be good for our club, and win more games than Arthur would have, but I don't think Bennett would 'fix' anything. He would just improve our chances while he was here.
Bennett made a tactical change in 2006 that never gets spoken about but was a masterstroke.

He moved Hodges to FB and Karmichael Hunt to the wing after the Broncos were going through there usual post origin slump for like the 6th year in a row.

2001-2005 Brisbane's record post origin was horrendous. 2006 was heading down the same way but Bennett switched things up off a 5 game losing streak with 3 rounds to go before finals and switched Hodges to FB and Karmichael to the wing.

Hodges was just as influential as Berrigan in that GF.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Bennett made a tactical change in 2006 that never gets spoken about but was a masterstroke.

He moved Hodges to FB and Karmichael Hunt to the wing after the Broncos were going through there usual post origin slump for like the 6th year in a row.

2001-2005 Brisbane's record post origin was horrendous. 2006 was heading down the same way but Bennett switched things up off a 5 game losing streak with 3 rounds to go before finals and switched Hodges to FB and Karmichael to the wing.

Hodges was just as influential as Berrigan in that GF.
He also moved on assistant coaches that off season of 2005, pretty sure they were both Bronco favourites. Kevvie Walters and Lazo. Now compare that to Bea we still have the Murph here after how many failed campaigns???

“It has to work this time it just had too”

Noise

Coach
merkins have been telling us all through BAs tenure that he’s set up our wonderful pathways program…
We were coming last every year in the 20s until BA got here...

It takes time to find some useful 14-15 year olds and set up pathways.

Interesting that we have at least some talented blokes from last year isn't it?

I’ll give you a hint, when Brian Smith left, the whole junior development pathways and Development programme was basically ignored despite lip service. Once the handbrake DA departed, then BA and Fieldsy were able to restart the recruitment and development pathways. 4 years ago it started at Harold Matthews level , local juniors and outside recruits like Hollis, Hughes , Biondi-Odo and Duggan , they are now on the edge of selection ( Biondi-Odo took the cash on offer at the Dogs ) .
Despite your obvious opinion,it takes 4/5 years at least to build from the bottom up, we have a number of decent backs coming through, yes we are behind Penrith but it’s definitely on the improve after being put on the back shelf for 5/6 years.

It’s possibly worth repeating, the junior pathways were in a mess after several coaches lacked real interest, When BA returned he started to revamp the structure in 2015, those 14/15 year old players that were basically the start of the process are the ones now coming into grade.

We have 11 junior programs running from U21s down with 400 players and 87 staff.

Elite pathways are such that they think that the current crop of 14/15 year olds are the best ever. Expect more boys to go from S G Ball to FG very quickly in the future.

On a personal note, I was chuffed to learn that Isaac De Gois is part of our elite pathways staff. Simply because he gave our club everything in his short stint.

They meet once or twice a week with BA with progress reports on fast tracked juniors.

That’s all I have, cos I’m only half way through.
There are heaps more posts from the last few years praising BA for our pathways too. Now some of the same people are telling us our pathway need fixing and it’s not BAs fault?

I reckon Bennett could do at least as good a job as BA.

Last edited:

Glenneel

Bench
Agree on the reasons why a club would avoid Chieka. Could be an interesting experiment and I’d like to see it, but maybe in a parallel universe first. Probably better suited to a club like the Roosters or Melbourne where everything else seems to be in place already and the risk to him is less, as well.
What you say about the Walkers reinforces that tactics can be copied or brought in through assistants.
Sooo….
We don’t want an unproven coach (eg. BA, Kearney, Chieka).
We need more than a tactical coach (eg. Walkers or Smithy).
We also want a rebuild and focus on development, so no mercenaries, career coaches or journeymen (eg. Bennett, Stuart, Hagan).
We don’t want some volatile merkin (Maguire).
We need a coach with man management, presence, credibility, and leadership.
I think we’re looking for (a unicorn) Bennett.

Glenneel

Bench
Girdler says that if you ask the parra fans they will tell you they want to win a title….that statement will be proven incorrect if you ask Pou or Gronk and others have confirmed they are not concerned whether parra win another comp or not

I think our fans are the problem as the board clearly doesn’t feel pressure to win a comp as they know many of our fans are just happy to have a team in the nrl and don’t really care if we win or lose

somehow the board needs to get the message that a premiership is the actual ultimate goal - and pre-empting the troll response, yes I WOULD think the board would know that, but evidence shows they clearly don’t
Simple, just don't renew your footy membership and tell them why. Fairly sure the message will be heard.