What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Just my opinion, but sacking a coach with games left, only to hire a rookie coach, makes no sense to me.

Some people have said that maybe he lost the players' faith - our season is done, and dusted, and sacking the coach wasn't going to resurrect our season.

It still makes no logical sense to me, to sack a coach at this point in time, unless you have a very good calibre of replacement coach to step in.

With Bennett off the table, who is left?
I think it was possibly a final roll of dice to try to show Bennett we were serious. But at end of day, we weren’t premiership this year with BA here or not, and it probably got to the point where retaining him further was going to do more damage (uncertainty, culture damage, certain agent getting pissy) than limit damage (current players hurt feelings) for next season

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I think it was possibly a final roll of dice to try to show Bennett we were serious. But at end of day, we weren’t premiership this year with BA here or not, and it probably got to the point where retaining him further was going to do more damage (uncertainty, culture damage, certain agent getting pissy) than limit damage (current players hurt feelings) for next season
Agreed. If players are going to have hurt feelings about this whole debacle then maybe they should f**k off and miss tackles elsewhere.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Just my opinion, but sacking a coach with games left, only to hire a rookie coach, makes no sense to me.

Some people have said that maybe he lost the players' faith - our season is done, and dusted, and sacking the coach wasn't going to resurrect our season.

It still makes no logical sense to me, to sack a coach at this point in time, unless you have a very good calibre of replacement coach to step in.

With Bennett off the table, who is left?
Tbh, I like it. Let's be honest we were not going to improve under BA. Anyone could see where this year was ending up.

We've potentially improved our chances for next year. Anything Barrett can do remaining of this year is a plus.

The Predictor

Juniors
Exactly.

There was no short term benefit to sacking BA - unless it meant getting Bennett for 2025 (If you believe him to be the right option).

IMO the board should have let it play out until we were no longer in contention for the finals (Whilst actively sourcing an adequate replacement for 2025)

With Moses and Gutho returning in the coming weeks, a few wins and where back amongst the right side of the table.
Giving him time to find another gig, as opposed to being real knts, and doing it in off season?????

hindy111

Post Whore
Making the change now is in the best interest of the club going forward.

whoever they appoint will have the same start that Fitzgibbon did at the Sharks and even Flanagan at the Dragons, which seemed to work well for the new coach. An opportunity to review current roster, get ahead of the curve on looking at signings, appoint assistants and recruiting personnel and plan the pre season program.

BA did a terrific job taking the club from what was the pits to a competitive position and a GF, , sometimes the well runs dry and there’s a need to reset. It’s now up to hierarchy to appoint a coach suited to the our needs and support him accordingly.

Ok job. Terrific is a stretch.

Kornstar

Coach
Ok job. Terrific is a stretch.

No you are correct, we went from white anting DA, to ringing in the next immortal coach, to Ricky who screwed us, then into a salary cap scandal all while languishing at the bottom of the table.

He took us to a GF and back to the finals........what a shit coach he is and a terrible job he performed!

2 things can be true, he could do a terrific job in pulling us out of the shit and also not quite be able to get us to the holy grail.......be he went damn close.......

hindy111

Post Whore
No you are correct, we went from white anting DA, to ringing in the next immortal coach, to Ricky who screwed us, then into a salary cap scandal all while languishing at the bottom of the table.

He took us to a GF and back to the finals........what a shit coach he is and a terrible job he performed!

2 things can be true, he could do a terrific job in pulling us out of the shit and also not quite be able to get us to the holy grail.......be he went damn close.......

Nice to see you back.
I never mentioned shit. I said ok. He did ok
We had good squads and he got them where I expected with what side he had.
I'd give him an excellent for getting Gutherson over to us. So I'd go from OK to above average job.

pazzaeel

Juniors
From Wikipedia

"In 2018, Manly and Barrett suffered a horror year on and off the field with the club finishing second last and narrowly avoiding the wooden spoon. The club was also plagued with infighting and there were reported disagreements between Barrett and the Manly owners over lack of chairs and whose responsibility it was to provide them. Trent eventually supplied the chairs himself but the effort was too late to save the season.[13]"

haha

84 Baby

Referee
I think he did exceptionally under circumstances in the early years especially 2017 and don’t think anyone would’ve done better (or if they could’ve, stuck around).
2018 was a misstep but he did really well 2019-22. There may have been some coaches who could’ve done better but probably not a heap.
2023-24 showed that a range of problems have developed and it was definitely time to move on.
I’ve been thinking about where he sits among our coaches but it just makes me sad that we can’t put Smith’s nous in Arthur’s temperament.

pazzaeel

Juniors
I'm keen to see what Barrett can do to be honest. His stint at Manly was along time ago. the roster he had a the Bulldogs could quite possibly be the worst ever assembled

Titanic

First Grade
Best thing Titans have done in recent years was sack Holbrook. Good bloke, fair footy IQ but if you want a coach that the big egos can jump all over then Hurricane is your man. Don't make the same mistake.

Best thing Titans have done in recent years was sack Holbrook. Good bloke, fair footy IQ but if you want a coach that the big egos can jump all over then Hurricane is your man. Don't make the same mistake.
i think we would be doing the same with a rookie coach
would they have the balls to go off at moses?