What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah if we get another forward from outside the club, a la above, Im happy us keeping Grant as a depthy.

Tiger Ted

Bench
There's very little doubt that we will b signing more forwards as we have a notable shortfall of quality depth going into season '18.We need better than the soft slug Grant who is almost as useless as Galloway was !

Shredder

Juniors
Ted I think having a bloke like Grant in the team is an asset.

Hes experienced, seems keen to play off the bench and is happy for a reduced contract as depth. This guy is never going to chase the money. He puts in a solid (if not earth shattering) performance every week.

I reckon for his cost hes just about the best value prop in the game. And having a bloke like him means we could spend more on another player.

gordsy

Juniors
It was rumoured a couple of weeks back we were chasing Albert Vete, Brenton Lawrence, Curtis Rona, Jeremy Latimore & Alex Glenn. Any updates on how these signings are going

Tiger Ted

Bench
Ted I think having a bloke like Grant in the team is an asset.

Hes experienced, seems keen to play off the bench and is happy for a reduced contract as depth. This guy is never going to chase the money. He puts in a solid (if not earth shattering) performance every week.

I reckon for his cost hes just about the best value prop in the game. And having a bloke like him means we could spend more on another player.
Yes I can't argue with retaining him if he's not costing much although we do need another big boppa who can bend the line.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned him in the same sentence as that lazy meek pea hearted ranga from the shire.

Shredder

Juniors
Well I reckon hes just about the cheapest ex origin prop in the game.
He would have to be no?

No idea Gordsy - I saw something on the official forum about it to - no update mate.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It was rumoured a couple of weeks back we were chasing Albert Vete, Brenton Lawrence, Curtis Rona, Jeremy Latimore & Alex Glenn. Any updates on how these signings are going
I'm sure Glenn has re-signed with the cheats in Brisbane.

I can't c us signing Rona if we sign Watson.Hence Id say we will get 1 of them.

I hope we sign 2 of Vete Lawrence & Latimore.

simmo05

Bench
Another depth prop and it is a good prop rotation i reckon. 1 more depth backrower, and save the rest of the coin for next year, josh papali and felise kafusi coming up. Ethan lowe too from memory too

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Alex Glenn just re-signed with Brisbane until end of 2019.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Of confirmed signings only (assuming Watson is confirmed), I would be rolling with the following team next year:
1. Watson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Suli
4. Milne
5. Lolohea
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. McQueen
13. Taylor

14. Grant
15. Eisenhuth
16. Sue
17. Alioai

Missing out are MckIlwrick and Chee Kam. The weakest part of that team is Liddle. He has shown very little at this level and seems to be similar to Brooks in terms of potential and performance aligning. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but not holding my breath.

Tigerm

First Grade
Of confirmed signings only (assuming Watson is confirmed), I would be rolling with the following team next year:
1. Watson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Suli
4. Milne
5. Lolohea
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. McQueen
13. Taylor

14. Grant
15. Eisenhuth
16. Sue
17. Alioai

Missing out are MckIlwrick and Chee Kam. The weakest part of that team is Liddle. He has shown very little at this level and seems to be similar to Brooks in terms of potential and performance aligning. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but not holding my breath.
Good team on paper (don't know much about many of the newbies), but I would have McIlwrick instead of Liddle, but I haven't seen a lot of MM lately, so not sure how he is going atm, unless he is injured, it seems strange as they only just resigned him.

Tiger05

First Grade
I love Tim Grant. He's not amazing but he's an awesome leader and does the job. I think Grant, Eisenhuth off the bench with Matulino and Rusty starting is a good prop rotation.

I am starting to be okay with our pack next year. I want another signing like Watson but in the forwards. A player that potentially could be very good.

Tiger05

First Grade
1. Watson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Suli
4. Milne
5. Lolohea
6. Reynolds
7. Brooks
8. Packer
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. McQueen
13. Taylor

14. Grant
15. Eisenhuth
16. Sue
17. Alioai

It's a decent team but I'd have Fonua instead of Lolohea and at the moment I don't think Lolohea makes the team. If Watson doesn't come here Lolohea goes to fullback. I also think Milne is no sure starter. It might be Fonua in place of Milne and Thompson on the wing.

I also think we may need to have both McIlwrick and Liddle in the team.

I hope we get Watson and pick up some players over the next couple of years. We can build on that team.

Tiger05

First Grade
Am I the only one that has Mc way in front of Liddle at the moment?

And Im talking day light, not even close in front.

I think Liddle is the better player but I can see your point. Liddle appears to have the ability to make a bust whereas McIlwrick doesn't. McIlwrick at the moment has a better passing game though and his defence is awesome. Liddle though is good defensively. He doesn't hit like McIlwrick does but he makes tackles.

Shredder

Juniors
They are different styles through yeah?

One is a passing / tackling 9 and the other a running 9.

I actually see benefit in having both in the team, like when Craig Wing used to come on for the Chickens.

I only mention it as Ive been reading some people think Liddle is going to go from a 25 min 9 to an 80 min 9.

Apart from Cam Smith, who else are current 80 min 9s?

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm fine with Liddle/MM hooker combo. Their combined salary is not too much and they are only going to get better. Our entire spine is probably taking up $2-2.5 million which by the current NRL standards is very cheap. I like this tactic because at the end of the day, if the spine don't have solid backs to pass the ball too, or hard forwards to give them field position....what's the f**king point of paying 3-4 million on a superstar spine?

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Agreed with Madunit. They are both very poor options. Had we not had to deal with that absolute drongo JT, we could have had Farah on our books for a well reduced salary (not back-dated and significantly reduced by the veteran player allowance). He would've been brilliant to usher in Liddle too.

One of the many terrible things JT did at this club.