What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WA Tiger

Bench
Stefano knows of Madges inability to see what players could do with the right coaching / treatment same with Fittler (Hynes) and Sheens (Laurie) for that matter ..Benji and the guys will have Stefano primed for SOO if someone drops out..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Lucky Benji and co don’t have a 3-4 year plan like some here. Coaches with 3-4 year plans are scared shitless about job security and their ability to get results - Madge prime example. Even during his last year at WT Madge had that 3-4 year plan line ticking over, despite giving up long before that. Job security is not near the top of the 4 amigos line of thinking. They want to do something special and the rest will come.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Telegraph twitter:
Confusion is growing at the Wests Tigers over the recent appointment of Shane Richardson as interim CEO and cloudy details around a potential conflict of interest, via @BuzzRothfield.
———————
I reckon this guy just hates WT’s, no matter who’s in charge?
I think it’s now a storm in a teacup.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Telegraph twitter:
Confusion is growing at the Wests Tigers over the recent appointment of Shane Richardson as interim CEO and cloudy details around a potential conflict of interest, via @BuzzRothfield.
———————
Buz is just upset that his mates Lee and Pascoe aren't around to invite him to expensive restaurants for dinner over a couple of bottles of Grange.

If anyone is leaking crap like this they are likely to be the ones leaking negative stories in the past and it can only be a good thing they are not on the current board.

Seriously, can anyone in their right mind have any doubts it was the best decision in years to hire Richardson?

New coach Michael Maguire has wasted no time in making big selection calls either with News Corprevealing Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu has been left out of the squad.

Utoikamanu made his State of Origin debut last year and has history with Maguire given he signed the 23-year-old while he was head coach of the Tigers.
—————-
Stefano will be pissed off, but imo, he wasn’t ready, but he’ll bounce back.
His form last year doesn't warrant a call up. Hopefully it's a kick up the arse for him.

Nutz

Bench
Buz is just upset that his mates Lee and Pascoe aren't around to invite him to expensive restaurants for dinner over a couple of bottles of Grange.

If anyone is leaking crap like this they are likely to be the ones leaking negative stories in the past and it can only be a good thing they are not on the current board.

Seriously, can anyone in their right mind have any doubts it was the best decision in years to hire Richardson?
Amen. I'm just happy he's come in and got rid of the toxicity of the joint. Old buzz will beat me to a nursing home, I hope.

DJDL

Bench
Telegraph twitter:
———————

You can find solace in the knowledge that whatever Buzz's opinion or beliefs are on a given topic, the polar opposite is most likely to be true.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘I want to stay’: Why Utoikamanu’s committed to Tigers despite get-out clause
By Christian Nicolussi
February 6, 2024 — 5.00am

Stefano Utoikamanu insists he hopes to stay with the Wests Tigers – and declared Michael Maguire’s weekend Origin camp snub has only made him more determined to wear the NSW jersey this season.

If the Tigers fail to make the finals, Utoikamanu can exercise a clause in his contract to sign elsewhere at the end of this year.

The club inserted a clause of their own that blocked his early exit if he played a second game for the Blues by the end of 2024.

The 23-year-old front-rower has been flattered by the speculation over his future, but declared he wanted to pledge his allegiance to new coach Benji Marshall and the club.

“I’m trying to focus on making the top eight, that’s what I want to do – I want to stay at the Tigers,” Utoikamanu told this masthead.

“I’ve loved every minute I’ve been here. They’ve given me my big opportunity to become the player I am now.

“I want to give back to the club. We’ll see what happens. I haven’t listened [to speculation]. Benji is big on ‘team first’, and putting others before yourself, so that’s what I’m trying to do.”

Pressed on whether he could leave if there was an opportunity before the mid-season cut-off, especially if the Tigers were well out of the finals race, Utoikamanu said: “If something like that did arise, and something happened, my manager would sort it out.”

Utoikamanu debuted for NSW last year, was left out of the 35-man Blues squad on the weekend, but confirmed he had received a call from Maguire, who used to coach him at the Tigers.

“He gave me a call, he said he wasn’t going to include me in the squad, but he didn’t really say too much else; he said, ‘Play good footy and it will all sort itself out’,” Utoikamanu said.

“It will only motivate me not being in that squad, especially because I played last year, and I want to play more this year. I’ll push for a spot in that team again.”

Tigers skipper Api Koroisau said retaining Utoikamanu beyond this season was vital to the club’s chances of success. “Stef is a valuable part of this Tigers team. Nobody wants to lose someone like Stef,” Koroisau said.

“If we can keep him, we’d love to, and there’s no way we’d let him go anywhere. It’s up to us to have a great year.”

Meanwhile, Utoikamanu said he was glad there was a coronial inquest into the death of his good friend Keith Titmuss, and at the very least hoped his family could have some closure over his 2020 death.

“It’s still so sad, I feel devastated. He was one of my best mates,” Utoikamanu said. “I feel devastated for his family. They didn’t have the answers they wanted. I miss him a lot. I think of him all the time. It’s already been a few years. It feels like it was yesterday. ”

Nutz

Bench
“I’ve loved every minute I’ve been here. They’ve given me my big opportunity to become the player I am now.
“I want to give back to the club"
Whilst I love hearing this from the big fella I can't help but feel it's similar to every scripted speach I read from players who are nearing the end of their contract and want some more cash.
Well Stefano, in my opinion you haven't really produced enough to warrant a big contract but if you do it's on the back of some solid performances coming up and the club's faith in you.
I think the big fella has got it in him to be a solid bookend for us but now it's payback time.

Tigerm

First Grade
Whilst I love hearing this from the big fella I can't help but feel it's similar to every scripted speach I read from players who are nearing the end of their contract and want some more cash.
Well Stefano, in my opinion you haven't really produced enough to warrant a big contract but if you do it's on the back of some solid performances coming up and the club's faith in you.
I think the big fella has got it in him to be a solid bookend for us but now it's payback time.
Yeah, agree.
The interesting comment though, for me was:

Pressed on whether he could leave if there was an opportunity before the mid-season cut-off, especially if the Tigers were well out of the finals race, Utoikamanu said: “If something like that did arise, and something happened, my manager would sort it out.”

Sort of negated the rest of the interview, imo.
Anyway, I hope he does stay and continues to develop.

WA Tiger

Bench
Fk..Madge called him..and gave good advice..prob learnt from Fittler about burning bridges …esp with this unknown quantity

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Yeah, agree.

Exactly.
Why can't we read something like,
"I love being here, I have a lot of mates and the supporters are fantastic and my manager and I will do everything possible to stay with the Tigers and repay the club's for their faith in me"

That's not over committing and sounds a little more authentic.

WA Tiger

Bench
You’ve seriously got way too much time on your hands He said plenty enough to indicate his wish to stay. And they all wisely say my “manager will take care of that”
Stephano answered impressively and professionally I thought. Don’t expect him to be a pushover. He’s declared his wish to be captain. He’s no mug..

Nutz

Bench
Yeah, agree.

I really hope the big fella stays.
Top props sometimes take a while to develop, late twenties is not uncommon. I'd love to see him and Jordan as our run on middles in 2 years time but both need to find some aggression.

Nutz

Bench
Telegraph twitter:
———————
I think anything that Buzz says negatively about our club is a compliment. He really has to do something about that red nose of his, too many late nights on the tea I think.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I think anything that Buzz says negatively about our club is a compliment. He really has to do something about that red nose of his, too many late nights on the tea I think.
When I googled Wests Tigers news there was a link to fox news about what I assumed was the same story.
The link didn't work and now there is no reference to it anywhere.

Could be the Tigers got in touch about it all being lies and told them they would take them to court if they didn't take it down.

Pure speculation on my part. As curious as I am to know what it was all about I don't care if I never do.