What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

ryan.a87

Juniors
1. Ponga
2. Meaney
3. Gagai
4. Best
5. Young
6. Gamble
7. Hastings
8. JSaifiti
9. Brailey
10. Tapine
11. Hoskings
12. Frizz
13. Thompson

14. Starling?
15. DSaifiti
16. King
17. KPP

If we kept our players, is this the best 17?
Barnett instead of King

Yosh

Coach
Apparently Gus and Joey really rate Brian McDermott as a head coach. Great candidate?

Knight Tales

Bench
I think we are insane if we let McDermott leave the club. He is legit alpha coach and would absolutely not stand for the shit the top players dish up at times if it was solely his call. Leeds were unstoppable under him, his ex players have nothing but massive wraps on him. He also had the balls to move Danny McGuire on the same year he won the Harry Sunderland medal (the ESL’s Churchill equivalent). Sacked Zak Hardaker in his prime cos he was a dick off field. He takes no prisoners. Our solution is right in front of us.

Woody90

Juniors
I think we are insane if we let McDermott leave the club. He is legit alpha coach and would absolutely not stand for the shit the top players dish up at times if it was solely his call. Leeds were unstoppable under him, his ex players have nothing but massive wraps on him. He also had the balls to move Danny McGuire on the same year he won the Steve Prescott medal (the ESL’s Churchill equivalent). Sacked Zak Hardaker in his prime cos he was a dick off field. He takes no prisoners. Our solution is right in front of us.

If he’s that good you’d have to wonder why AOB was re-signed for so long.

Maybe they feel he needs to do some extra time as some of his techniques not fully suited to the NRL. Very few coaches from the ESL make it out here as FG coaches. Mals the main one I can think of.

Burwood

Bench
I posted an article a year or so ago when everyone was last calling for AOB’s head, but McDermott was pretty much saying that he was very happy to serve an apprenticeship as an assistant in the NRL because it was so different compared to England- the budgets, support staff and professionalism was quite new to him.

You’d have to think that, after 2 years in the NRL, he’d be just about ready to take the step up and coach his own team in 2025.

Yosh

Coach
If we let McDermott go and he does a good job at another NRL club, what legal means do I have to harass the club?

Knight Tales

Bench
I think if you are reading between the lines here it’s Joey and Gould saying they do not rate AOB and are putting pressure on the club to replace him with McDermott. Gould does not say those things about coaches often. He’ll make the odd supportive comment but he is heaping praise here. And we know him doing that is rare.
Cam Ciraldo is probably taking notes as well.

Woody90

Juniors
I think if you are reading between the lines here it’s Joey and Gould saying they do not rate AOB and are putting pressure on the club to replace him with McDermott.

I’m one of AOB’s harshest critics but I listened to both podcasts that the comments came from and that’s definitely not the case. Gould was speaking purely from the perspective that Souths should approach him as he doesn’t think that Bennett would want to go back to Souths.
McDermott reached out to Gus to meet himself about how to get noticed and approached for FG job offers. Pretty smart tactic as of course Gus would probably bring his name up on one of his media outlets.

Joey’s comments on McDermott came about because he was asked about him following Gus’ comments. He was asked to speak about him and he did, it wasn’t a push to the Knights or anything against AOB IMO.

Knight Tales

Bench
I’m one of AOB’s harshest critics but I listened to both podcasts that the comments came from and that’s definitely not the case. Gould was speaking purely from the perspective that Souths should approach him as he doesn’t think that Bennett would want to go back to Souths.
McDermott reached out to Gus to meet himself about how to get noticed and approached for FG job offers. Pretty smart tactic as of course Gus would probably bring his name up on one of his media outlets.

Joey’s comments on McDermott came about because he was asked about him following Gus’ comments. He was asked to speak about him and he did, it wasn’t a push to the Knights or anything against AOB IMO.
It is more what Joey actually said. He called out two senior players in his first defensive session ever at the club. He also mentioned presence and how assured he is.

Woody90

Juniors
Is that actually what Gould said on the podcast?

He definitely said that McDermott had asked how to get noticed. Can’t remember fully re the getting offers part but pretty sure he said that too. Thats kinda implied though through wanting to get noticed for head coach gigs.

Gus initially said that he reached out to him “wanting to talk footy” but when it was being described the main conversation was around whether Gus thought an super league coach could make it as a head coach in the NRL and how to go about getting noticed. Seems likely part of McDermotts plan was to impress Gus enough to get him to mention him which was a pretty effective plan.

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
It is more what Joey actually said. He called out two senior players in his first defensive session ever at the club. He also mentioned presence and how assured he is.

Not sure that says anything about Joey’s thoughts about AOB though? More likely he was just giving an example to back up his comments that he rated him.

Rating McDermott doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t rate AOB.

Knight Tales

Bench
Not sure that says anything about Joey’s thoughts about AOB though? More likely he was just giving an example to back up his comments that he rated him.

Rating McDermott doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t rate AOB.
Let me put it this way. Had McDermott been our chief Hastings would be long gone after that alleged set to with Pryce. He also has contacts all across SL and is revered coach with huge influence over there.
Here is an article which features Zak Hardaker’s thoughts on Mac’s coaching style. His development ability and absolute refusal to take excuses for poor performance.