What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

chanticleer

Juniors
I feel the difference between now and 2011, is recruitment has never been harder.. whether it has been bought about due to covid years ruining years of junior development (nation wide) or the cap increases letting teams upgrade/horde talent.. its outrageous how hard its been to land anyone let alone a few hidden gems... its not meant to be this difficult.
What about the Rorters.. sign Sam Walker that the whole world inckuding rugby were after, then sign Brandon Smith and add Dom Young & Spencer Lenui for this year..
No club signs the talented players that the rorters do year in year out..

Not wanting to sound like I'm writing the man off but so far Super Coach Flanagan has promised to:
1 Return us to our powerhouse, glory days. Obviously still a work in progress.
2 Big signings. Still a work in progress.
3 Training at Jubilee Oval. Are they? Cos when they played the Cows last week you would have thought they'd never been there in their lives.
4 No more floggings like the Dolphins game. Well, not until the next week. Obviously still a work in progress.
And pissed off Lomax in his spare time. Great way to introduce yourself to a player by telling them that they're only the 22nd best centre in the NRL. What does he tell his kid? "Andrew Willis was a better 5/8 than you!!"?
So far he to me he looks just like Hook after a tussle with some Grecian 2000.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
The year has definitely not begun the way Flanno had planned, but I feel like I do need to remind everyone that Flanno 'needs' to sell am optimistic narrative to his playing group (and hopefully more broadly to player managers , fans and sponsors etc) that this roster can do the job.. and more broadly that the club can do better also.

If our players don't believe they can win games.. we won't win any.... there is truth interwoven with a narrative in everything he says.. in his heart he probably knows we were never making the 8.. but he has to shoot higher.

The year has definitely not begun the way Flanno had planned, but I feel like I do need to remind everyone that Flanno 'needs' to sell am optimistic narrative to his playing group (and hopefully more broadly to player managers , fans and sponsors etc) that this roster can do the job.. and more broadly that the club can do better also.

If our players don't believe they can win games.. we won't win any.... there is truth interwoven with a narrative in everything he says.. in his heart he probably knows we were never making the 8.. but he has to shoot higher.
With the club continually under performing, stuck in the bottom 4 or 5. it will be almost impossible to attract top talent. Basically it is a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Dragon David

First Grade
With the club continually under performing, stuck in the bottom 4 or 5. it will be almost impossible to attract top talent. Basically it is a case of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
It looks the case KD, but we should never give up and who knows, we may not need the "top" talent" from elsewhere if our younger brood can be developed properly to one day be our own local born and bred "top talent". In some ways, it is my preference for this to happen rather than getting the knock backs from some expensive player whose heart might not be totally Dragons.

Talk about knock backs, I know we have recently copped a few, but the Roosters were knocked back by a guy from the Waratahs - Max Jorgensen - so they do not always get their man.

maestro1

Bench
It looks the case KD, but we should never give up and who knows, we may not need the "top" talent" from elsewhere if our younger brood can be developed properly to one day be our own local born and bred "top talent". In some ways, it is my preference for this to happen rather than getting the knock backs from some expensive player whose heart might not be totally Dragons.

Talk about knock backs, I know we have recently copped a few, but the Roosters were knocked back by a guy from the Waratahs - Max Jorgensen - so they do not always get their man.

They'll ramp up their pursuit of Lomax and go after Blaise Taulagi. Taulagi will be awesome.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Not wanting to sound like I'm writing the man off but so far Super Coach Flanagan has promised to:
3 Training at Jubilee Oval. Are they? Cos when they played the Cows last week you would have thought they'd never been there in their lives.
4 No more floggings like the Dolphins game. Well, not until the next week. Obviously still a work in progress.
And pissed off Lomax in his spare time. Great way to introduce yourself to a player by telling them that they're only the 22nd best centre in the NRL. What does he tell his kid? "Andrew Willis was a better 5/8 than you!!"?
1. As you said Work in Progress, 3 weeks in, people who think we are going to be a powerhouse over night are dreaming, this wont be done in weeks, more like a couple of years
2. Has tried, come up short but again 1st season, LL not bad but not marque..
3.Yes they have trained at Kogarah, even last week before Cows game
4.Flogging, he is talking more about inept performances, no effort, not scoreline.

Players deserve to told the truth even if they don't like it, how does he improve if he thinks he is #1, do you think the conversation went for 30 seconds or longer
Hi Zac you are the 22nd best centre in the comp, see ya...

BLM01

First Grade
You are sounding like just that...
1 week is a long time in football both ways and unfortunately some people jump on and jump off, some just roll with it and see where she goes first before making a decision, some just come back to kick when you down because they can

I think our attack is a big improvement on last year. There are signs of life there. Having Lomax on the wing has been a masterstroke from Flanno. Still a lot of work to do but it was never going to be a stellar season from the dragons with the current roster. We've got to be patient and let the coaching and development staff do their stuff.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think our attack is a big improvement on last year. There are signs of life there. Having Lomax on the wing has been a masterstroke from Flanno. Still a lot of work to do but it was never going to be a stellar season from the dragons with the current roster. We've got to be patient and let the coaching and development staff do their stuff.
Yep, just take one game at a time and see what develops for the rest of this year. Improvements in defence and attack is what I'm hoping to see and a few wins here and there will keep the flame alight for next season.

Wests & Canterbury do... not that it has helped them much. I don't buy that argument. We are too slow to act or are poor negotiators.
We sat on our hands when Hyne was off contract, for instance.

teza

Juniors
3 rounds in and I Can't believe I'm hearing this rubbish about sacking Flannigan. Yee of little faith should find another club to support. The guy inherited a second rate team (like he did at Cronulla- premiership 3 years later!) and as the saying goes: Rome wasn't built in a day. His post game press conferences have given an honest appraisal of each match and the task of rebuilding the club. In short- get of the guy's back.
Teza

matPORTS

Juniors
As per discussions across various other threads.

The one thing not on Flanno's side either at the moment is the lack of quality talent available on the open market.

One of the things that will need to happen, and what will ultimately be another point of judgement as to whether he is ultimately successful as our head coach in the coming years - we will need to recruit the equivalent of what the Sharks got out of Ben Barba & Jack Bird in 2015 + James Maloney in 2016. This doesn't necessarily mean we need a full back, a centre and/or a half (although we will have scrutiny on these positions in the next couple of years) - but we will need this level of influential signing to ensure success into the future.

If, for example, Lomax goes to Parramatta and Blaze Talagi comes back the other way - whats to say that Blaze couldn't be the equivalent of what Jack Bird ultimately was to the Sharks in 2015 (a rookie with potential to grow into bigger and better things)?

This is the reality of what we're faced with for the next couple of years.

Mojo

Bench

The one thing not on Flanno's side either at the moment is the lack of quality talent available on the open market.

One of the things that will need to happen, and what will ultimately be another point of judgement as to whether he is ultimately successful as our head coach in the coming years - we will need to recruit the equivalent of what the Sharks got out of Ben Barba & Jack Bird in 2015 + James Maloney in 2016. This doesn't necessarily mean we need a full back, a centre and/or a half (although we will have scrutiny on these positions in the next couple of years) - but we will need this level of influential signing to ensure success into the future.

If, for example, Lomax goes to Parramatta and Blaze Talagi comes back the other way - whats to say that Blaze couldn't be the equivalent of what Jack Bird ultimately was to the Sharks in 2015 (a rookie with potential to grow into bigger and better things)?

Indeed. People want dramatic changes but they don’t want drama. It’s a big ask. Either support the guy whose been charged with the challenge or accept the status quo. Can’t have it both ways.

Mojo

Bench

Indeed. People want dramatic changes but they don’t want drama. It’s a big ask. Either support the guy whose been charged with the challenge or accept the status quo. Can’t have it both ways.