What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcrone or our season over.

That's what I don't get. It's been said that Widdop prefers McCrone however, why can't the coach overrule a player for the good of the team.

Read that Nona reinjured himself, so there may be no other option other than McCrone. If Field has some type of a kicking game, it's better than what McCrone is giving at the moment.
McGregor has had plenty of opportunity to try Nona long before he got injured.
He was available and in good form.
Still didn't use him even when Widdop was out for over a month.
So Widdop wasn't the issue at that time was he?
I reckon Mann is our best alternative to McCrone but he doesn't have a kicking game either.
I can't see much changing for the time being.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I reckon Mann is our best alternative to McCrone but he doesn't have a kicking game either.

Good point Dennis thanks. Seems there is no other option.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

Actually Mann does have a kicking game, Mary appears to have asked him not to kick when he played in the halves. I presume that was keep his games simple.

Also, each week with both McCrone and Widdop, we kick more along the ground, back inside of low bombs to the corners which our wingers struggle to get too. Could trying Mann and letting him put up higher bombs be any worse?

Bench
Whilst McCrone plays in first grade we have to carry him in attack. That is going to cost us against teams that have a good 1/2 that has a good kicking game, has speed and get a decent pass to his centres.

Actually Mann does have a kicking game, Mary appears to have asked him not to kick when he played in the halves. I presume that was keep his games simple.

Also, each week with both McCrone and Widdop, we kick more along the ground, back inside of low bombs to the corners which our wingers struggle to get too. Could trying Mann and letting him put up higher bombs be any worse?
I am all for a change and Mann would not let us down.
If, as you say, Mann does have a kicking game then McGregor's refusal to make a change becomes even more mystifying.
I totally agree with you - we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

PuffGasnier

Juniors
I am all for a change and Mann would not let us down.
If, as you say, Mann does have a kicking game then McGregor's refusal to make a change becomes even more mystifying.
I totally agree with you - we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

When has Mann ever proven that he is strong in the halves? I agree wholeheartedly that McCrone is not good enough to be starting in the halves, but I'm not 100% sure that Mann is the answer that we are looking for here.

It's a shame that Field isn't getting at least a chance to show what he's got, though I've heard in recent weeks that he's been struggling in the Cup side - worrying.

Gareth67

First Grade
Release him from the remainder of his contract , so as he may acclimatise himself to Canada's cold weather . Whomever replaces him will surely do a better job , wether that be Mann , Field or Nona . The Dragons must find a solution to this problem NOW if the team is to have any chance of getting into the finals .

getsmarty

Immortal
Release him from the remainder of his contract , so as he may acclimatise himself to Canada's cold weather . Whomever replaces him will surely do a better job , wether that be Mann , Field or Nona . The Dragons must find a solution to this problem NOW if the team is to have any chance of getting into the finals .

Gareth, I reckon we will limp into the finals...We have a favorable draw. We are on 22 points if you include the Bye coming up in a fortnight so if 28 - 30 points gets you into the finals we need 3/4 wins from our last 9 games. ( we have won 3 in the last 8 games with our current poor form. ) We play titans Twice and Newcastle again...It will be a monumental Failure if we can't make the Finals from here.

Problem is, the board will except making the finals as a successful year and that is where the problem lies. We are not contenders by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth, I reckon we will limp into the finals...We have a favorable draw. We are on 22 points if you include the Bye coming up in a fortnight so if 28 - 30 points gets you into the finals we need 3/4 wins from our last 9 games. ( we have won 3 in the last 8 games with our current poor form. ) We play titans Twice and Newcastle again...It will be a monumental Failure if we can't make the Finals from here.

Problem is, the board will except making the finals as a successful year and that is where the problem lies. We are not contenders by any stretch of the imagination.

getsmarty , I truly hope so , as it would be great to cheer the Dragons on in the finals , they could jump up another gear and really play good football .
But when I look at the remaining matches I can see that there shall be games where we will need to perform at our best to take the 2 competition points .

Gold Coast have been playing tremendous football along with the Broncos . The last match against the Bullgrubs , we may need to ensure that Mr. Patten is unavailable for his duties in the bunker , to have any chance of winning .
In saying that should Mary get the boys back into the same frame of mind as they were at the beginning of the season , then the Big Red V will indeed be there .

slippery5

Juniors
If your after a kicking game than Willis from the 20's is streets ahead of anyone in the club, I know he is only 18 but so was Cleary when he was brought into 1st grade much to others( his dad included ) doubted he was up to it.

Crush

Coach
What exactly does the title of this thread mean? "Sack McCrone or our season is over?"
Over as in we cannot win the comp?
Over as in we cannot make the finals?
Over as in we won't win another game?
I think McCrone sux the big one but by replacing him with mann, field or nona nothing much would change at the end of the day. Except we could all stop winging about how shit McCrone is, which he is.
Replace him with Hunt or someone of that caliber and then we are talking change! Then we would be contenders.
"Sack McCrone or our season is over?"
Unfortunately we don't have many options for replacements. Mann? maybe? I would give him first crack but doubt he would excel at 7. He seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none, maybe thats the coaches fault.
Field? Nup. Not ready based on reggies form. Nona? Id give him a crack to see how he goes personally but he is injured now I think. Plus, he wouldn't take us to the next level.
I think McCrone is average but don't see his replacement this year to be taking us to a premiership. We just lack a quality 7 in our whole club fullstop.

If your after a kicking game than Willis from the 20's is streets ahead of anyone in the club, I know he is only 18 but so was Cleary when he was brought into 1st grade much to others( his dad included ) doubted he was up to it.
Love it!
Great suggestion.
I reckon a kid like Willis would be fearless and have a real go.
If only the coach had the gumption to try things outside the norm.

getsmarty

Immortal
getsmarty , I truly hope so , as it would be great to cheer the Dragons on in the finals , they could jump up another gear and really play good football .
But when I look at the remaining matches I can see that there shall be games where we will need to perform at our best to take the 2 competition points .

Gold Coast have been playing tremendous football along with the Broncos . The last match against the Bullgrubs , we may need to ensure that Mr. Patten is unavailable for his duties in the bunker , to have any chance of winning .
In saying that should Mary get the boys back into the same frame of mind as they were at the beginning of the season , then the Big Red V will indeed be there .

Agree Gareth. There really aren't any easy games but surely we can win at least 4 of the next 9. Not a massive ask.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Mann to 7. Mann has a great step and swirve and also takes on the line. His kicking game is there but needs some polishing and training from our champions Matty Head and Widdop.
He has shown enough to start at 7 even if Widdop takes the main kicking duties which he did second half against Newcastle and we won.

Life's Good

Coach
What exactly does the title of this thread mean? "Sack McCrone or our season is over?"
Over as in we cannot win the comp?
Over as in we cannot make the finals?
Over as in we won't win another game?
I think McCrone sux the big one but by replacing him with mann, field or nona nothing much would change at the end of the day. Except we could all stop winging about how shit McCrone is, which he is.
Replace him with Hunt or someone of that caliber and then we are talking change! Then we would be contenders.
"Sack McCrone or our season is over?"
Unfortunately we don't have many options for replacements. Mann? maybe? I would give him first crack but doubt he would excel at 7. He seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none, maybe thats the coaches fault.
Field? Nup. Not ready based on reggies form. Nona? Id give him a crack to see how he goes personally but he is injured now I think. Plus, he wouldn't take us to the next level.
I think McCrone is average but don't see his replacement this year to be taking us to a premiership. We just lack a quality 7 in our whole club fullstop.
It's a good question you raise. But, the continued selection of McCrone is essentially a metaphor for where Mary and his thinking is at as far as I am concerned. Just like last year and now this year if a string of poor performances isn't a catalyst for change then what is?? As for no options well I call BS on that. There are options if you build a game plan to suit the players you select but Mary is either to stubborn or without the tactical nouse to make that happen.

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Toronto Wolfpack Captain McCrone had a big year in 2018, as did Ashton Sims.

Millward better pick up the bloody phone I say.

Drag Queen

Bench
You brought up Nona, Dennis. That guy was a bloody gun. JD pushed Mary into giving him a FG go and was told no. Say no more. Wasted talent, especially with his kicking game and ability to back it up. It annoys the crap out of me how someone can exclude talent because they were never qualified to identify it from the beginning.

Latest posts