What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sage/Elias Perth bid news

Perth Red

Post Whore
And the latest gem from Benny the brains elias. Yeh like you've got a $50m bid lined up, frick off!

Benny Elias insists a West Australian league team with Ricky Stuart as head coach can again plan for NRL inclusion by 2015 after the shock removal of David Gallop.
Elias and bid partner Tony Sage are heading a $50 million Perth proposal and this week held a breakfast meeting to discuss their next move while expansion groups around the country privately celebrated Gallop's demise.
Despite being among the most pressing issues in the game, several bid teams felt the league boss wasn't bold enough to make the necessary decisions required for taking the game to WA, the Central Coast, or Papua New Guinea.
"So when it comes to growing rugby league, we're quietly excited David Gallop is no longer around," Elias revealed.
"With David gone, expansion is back on the table."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...r-gallops-demise/story-e6frf3ou-1226388711205

Goddo

Bench
"With David gone, expansion is back on the table."

Thats a stupid statement. It was never off the table, the ARLC are just being cautious and want to get the timming and location right.

And Gallop's job under the old admin prevented him from committing to anything, then under the Commission we keep getting told expansion is subserviant to the TV deal.

Gallop was a goose, but I think its a bit harsh for Ellias to blame him for not getting his own way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol that Sage would think Elias a good first up CEO! Would at least be good for some media n a Kevin sheedy kind of way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From a while ago but Elias seems convinced he has Stuart's signature in the bank. What do people think? Would Ricky make a good coach for a new club?

NEW South Wales Blues coach Ricky Stuart is being targeted as the inaugural coach of the Perth franchise should their bid to enter the NRL competition in 2015 be accepted.

Mining magnate Tony Sage and Balmain legend Ben Elias are behind the push for Western Australia to join the competition and held talks with NRL boss David Gallop on Tuesday.
With funding of up to $20 million, Elias revealed he had already held numerous talks with premiership winning coach Stuart who was eager to jump on board.
“He would be our number one target,” Elias told NRL Daily online program.
“Ricky’s very excited about the possibility of talking to us in a further manor.
“I’ve made it very clear that I want Ricky Stuart, I’ve spoken to Ricky at great lengths already and Ricky’s quite excited.
“I love 'Sticky' for many reasons; infrastructure, ground roots and also with his relationship with a lot of the present State of Origin players - his relationship is very important to the future of who we sign.
“To get success you need the best players and I believe Ricky Stuart's got that relationship with the best players available.”

http://www.nospam11.com.au/articles/2012/02/15/perth-nrl-bid-targets-ricky-stuart/

joshreading

Staff member
Atleast quietly in the background it would pay for each bid (including the Reds) to have some sense of what sort of coach would best suit the dynamics of a potential team, culture etc.

Depending on the nature of the relationships Ricky has with the NSW players may determine whether he is a good coach to target

Perth Red

Post Whore
Latest BS

lol he thinks the WARL are owned by the ARLC! Shows how much he understands the game.

PERTH Glory owner Tony Sage and Sydney rugby league identity Benny Elias claim they have their noses in front in the bid to win a Perth NRL licence.
Sage, who says he will guarantee $100 million over 10 years, and Elias will meet with NRL interim chief Shane Mattiske on Tuesday.

They will form a rival bid to the WA Rugby League, which today unveiled a new logo and name, the West Coast Pirates.

"We have had private talks with the NRL. They (the WARL) are exactly the same as us as far as positioning," Sage said.

"In fact they are weaker because the ARL owns the WARL and they don't want to go back to the old system where News Limited owned a few teams.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/to...erth-nrl-bid-war/story-fndujljl-1226410370907

RedVee

First Grade
The WARL have taken the wind out of this bids sails by using the name 'Pirates'...
surely that would have been a great fit for Benny? :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol Sage having a sook that it's not fair! Tell you what Tony, write a cheque for $100mill and deposit it in a trust fund in the name of a new NRL team and I will get behind your bid. I have no doubts what so ever that this guy will not front one cent to a new team never mind $100mill!

PIRATES NEED TO GET ALONG
Perth Glory owner Tony Sage has called for the West Coast Pirates to work with his bid to maximise the state's chances of gaining an NRL licence. Sage, speaking to Sin Bin from Austria, described the relationship between the Pirates, run by the WARL, as ''incestuous'' because he claimed WARL staff's wages are being paid by the governing body. Sage, who has promised $100 million of funding over 10 years, said he wanted to follow the model of GWS, which let the public choose the team's name and colours.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ant-to-hear-20120714-222t2.html#ixzz20eyuLf2g

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps Sage met with the WARL, basically told them he wanted his management team to run the club and Elias as CEO. Wouldn't concede on WARL 50-50 ownership and after the meeting did something very underhanded. Interesting he is now so keen to become friends after the success of the launch of the Pirates?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
said he wanted to follow the model of GWS, which let the public choose the team's name and colours.

Unbelievable whitewashing of history.

The Titans let the public choose the name and jersey. The Suns and Giants were controlled by the AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Facts are not his strong point, he also thinks the WARL is owned by the ARL, he thinks that money will be taken out of grass roots to pay for the Pirates (in fact the whole point is the reverse), he thinks Elias would make a good CEO. I mean come on the guy has less credibility when it comes to sport in this State than Alan Bond has for wise investment advice!

Just checked and your right RedVee, AFL chose name and colours and the fans got to vote on which guernsey they had as home strip.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Facts are not his strong point, he also thinks the WARL is owned by the ARL, he thinks that money will be taken out of grass roots to pay for the Pirates (in fact the whole point is the reverse), he thinks Elias would make a good CEO. I mean come on the guy has less credibility when it comes to sport in this State than Alan Bond has for wise investment advice!

It's annoying because while Sage offers nothing to RL in WA he is still getting his name in the paper and to the everyman on the street he is equal to the WARL bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets hope the ARLC know the difference. At the end of the day the media and Sydney fans can think what they like, it is the ARLC and Perth fans that matter and in regards to the latter I can assure you most fans don't want Sage within a country mile of our NRL team. We have seen the basket case he has made the Glory, and that is in a sport he loves!

bobmar28

Bench
Sage has been swamped by the announcement of the Pirates bid. His only hope now is to get onboard somehow.

Smithtown

Coach
It's ultimately a very good thing that there may be more than one bid coming from a non-heartland area like Perth.

It shows that different groups think there is a realistic chance of a successful franchise operating, which gives credence to the area being accepted into the big league.

RedVee

First Grade
^ +1

Sage seems to be tried to muddy the waters a bit though, IMO, trying to show a 'governance' benefit to separating the WARL & the NRL bid/team. May work to a lesser or greater degree as well.
Comes across as a bit of a 'chancer' to me.