What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
It is ANZAC day, thus i am too pissed to make a judgment other than:

3 Pearce

Good to get a close ANZAC win for a change!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
3 - Pearce
2 - Cordner
1 - Tauks

Pearce was the deciding factor but Cords yet again was massive, 19 hit ups for 206m and 37 tackles. Easily our best player and I wouldnt trade him for any other backrower in the game.

Tauks is looking real good as well after the long lay off.

OVP

Coach
3. Pearce
2. Tupou - our best back by far this year (not including our halves). Loving his dummy half running, carries 3 or more at a time and still makes good yards. No being pushed backwards this year. Very dangerous anywhere near the try line and in the air too.
1. Cords

adamkungl

Immortal
3. Pearce
2. Tupou - our best back by far this year (not including our halves). Loving his dummy half running, carries 3 or more at a time and still makes good yards. No being pushed backwards this year. Very dangerous anywhere near the try line and in the air too.
1. Cords

Except that time he got pushed backwards and offloaded to a Dragons player ;)

Valheru

Coach
I've watched the replay so can give a better assessment of the match now.

We looked shaky for the first part of the game up until the first dragons try which was a very soft defensive effort although we were unlucky not to score first ourselves. From there though, I thought we were tremendous defensively and really wrestled back momentum either side of half time and were the better side for the remainder of the game. The 2nd dragons try was a tad unlucky being one of those broken plays off a deflected kick but we only had ourselves to blame for being in that position due to an error after the penalty goal.

I thought our attack was fine against a stoic dragons defence creating 4 genuine try scoring plays, 2 of which were converted, one bombed (the Morgan/SKD thing in the first half) and the other judged to be a forward pass.

The biggest positive IMO was the patience, poise and maturity shown in the golden point period. We played the perfect 4 sets with the first being a defensive set given them no hope of a field goal, the 2nd, surprisingly, involving a smart kick to the corner as opposed to a 40m field goal attempt. From there we had them in no mans land on their last tackle resulting in a poor kick going dead and then played for field position and slotted the 1 point.

3 Pearce
2 Cordner
1 Tupou

On Cordner, I think there is validity in resting him this week. His work load has been extreme and we will be playing in the test as well as all 3 origin games.

3 points: Mitchell Pearce. Considering he scored the try that got us in front, and then iced the game with the field goal, how could it be anyone else?

2 points: Boyd Cordner. As Jack said up thread, 19 hit ups for 206m and 37 tackles in 83 minutes if phenomenal. Did the real hard yards yesterday and made yards when the going was tough.

1 point: Daniel Tupou. Yes made 1 bad mistake with the offload, but he looked most likely to do something with the ball in hand out of any of our three quarters yesterday.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
3 Pearce
2. Cords
1. Keary

Couldn't give Toops a point. There was the offload to no one and he failed to drop to the ground after making that catch in front of the posts which led to the drop out and the dragons first try. harsh I know but all wingers and fullbacks should have that down pat.

Great game wasn't able to make the trip down this year unfortunately..:-(

Headless Chook

Juniors
3. Pearce
2. Cordner
1. Friend (58 tackles or thereabouts, what an effort)

About time we got up in a close one on Anzac Day, we were due that's for sure.

Tommy Smith

Referee
3. Pearce - playing so well; so poised.
2. Cordner - best 2nd rower in the game. An amazing player.
1. Taukeiaho - very powerful up the middle. Just who we've been missing to conpliment our pigs.

It was a great win. Very gritty and plenty of heart. And the good news is that I feel aa though there's loads of improvement.

Latest posts