What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Effectiveness

simmo05

Bench
Gus talks about evenness and spread of talent here:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...kFjy9msazy7n-DCM_y8MTL95ZCfWT7qZehtjjqaba_r8Q

I don't think there is a lack of talent in the NRL, I think there's more than enough to warrant more sides, but the talent certainly is emanating towards the top sides.

Also this quote:
“I pointed to the fact you’ve got Bennett, Stuart, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler. Give them the bottom five teams, in three years’ time they’ll rise to the top.”

Is just LOL. This is the third time Ricky has made the finals in the last 12 years he's coached. Bennett had 3 years at the knights and left them f**ked. Bellamy and Robinson are untested outside of their current clubs.
And recently, bennet has f**ked the donkeys in a big way. It has been glorious

simmo05

Bench
Bennett had Knights in the top 4 until Tinkler's house of cards started falling apart.

Also lol if you don't think Bellamy and Robinson couldn't win games with the rosters Dragons Cows and Warriors had this year
Why wouldnt they have a go then? Valentino Rossi switched from honda where he was almost unbeatable, to yamaha, just to test himself. If you were that confident in your ability, surely you would gain more professional satisfaction dragging a shit club up, rather than winning with a rich 'well funded' club

Valheru

Coach
Why wouldnt they have a go then? Valentino Rossi switched from honda where he was almost unbeatable, to yamaha, just to test himself. If you were that confident in your ability, surely you would gain more professional satisfaction dragging a shit club up, rather than winning with a rich 'well funded' club

Trent Robinson's first head coach gig was at Catalans where he took them to top 4 after finishing close to bottom.

The roosters then gave him a chance in the NRL because of that performance and his assistant coaching performance in 2010.

His door was hardly getting knocked down by other clubs, he took the only job on offer to him.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Points based systems I have seen fail for players at the end if their careers

But you could revise points that cover say their last 3 seasons in respect to rep games

But then would you apply it at Top 30 level or on the final 17 per game ?
I have it working fairly well for those players, but it's players with long careers and no rep appearances (Like Sutton) where it's a mess, as well as players like Nikora who have played hardly any games but have a huge salary because they played test footy in their debut season.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Roosters should get hit pretty hard next year. Manu, Mitchell, SST, JWH, Friend, Butcher, Lam all off contract.

Or they sign Hass, Bateman and DCE. Who knows?????

Roosters should get hit pretty hard next year. Manu, Mitchell, SST, JWH, Friend, Butcher, Lam all off contract.

Or they sign Hass, Bateman and DCE. Who knows?????

End of next season, yeah? Cronk’s departure will top up a 2/3 of those contracts depending how much Mitchell demands. Reckon Hargreaves will be tempted by rival offers. Can’t see Lam staying.

Sonny83

Juniors
I’m not saying Robinson’s a bad coach, I’m saying it’s hard to judge when he’s in control of a side that can buy the 2 best players in the comp for their position after his sides come second. Like I said the one time he didn’t have a team of absolute superstars every week he got shown up.

Most of Roosters players weren't in their world-class positions when they're signed. Agreed on Cronk when he was already Aust #7.

At the time signed Teddy was probably #3 or #4 choices when it comes to Aust first choice fullback pecking order (behind Slater, Darius Boyd, V Holme)

Latrell, Manu, Boyd Cordner and many more hasn't representing their state/countries when debut for Roosters so it's rubbish to claims we go out and bought talents rather than developing them.

Reflector

Juniors
I included a disclaimer with the image I shared pointing out that it was NOT based upon any allegations. The image was a play on words- and it still gets deleted under potential libel? WTF?

A few quotes from the article I linked to in an earlier post which gives you some insight -

“We manage our list and salary cap well because when you look at our players — we’ve got 23 players out of the current top 30 list since they were in under 20s.

“Therefore, when you run your salary cap that way, you come out with a much better result rather than buying from outside.

“When you buy from outside all the time, you tend to pay more.

“Of course we got [James] Tedesco and Cooper Cronk, but most of our players come from within. That’s a much more efficient way of managing your salary cap and staying within the cap.

and

“We’re very good at developing players. Someone was telling me today that out of our top 30 list this year, 23 players have been with us from under 20s and 18 have been with us from under 18s.

“That’s 16, 17, and 18-year-olds. To have 18 players in our top 30 to join the club when they were under 18 and 23 when they are under 20, that says it all.

Springs09

Juniors
I have it working fairly well for those players, but it's players with long careers and no rep appearances (Like Sutton) where it's a mess, as well as players like Nikora who have played hardly any games but have a huge salary because they played test footy in their debut season.

Do you have points reductions for long serving players?

adamkungl

Immortal

There's a long way to go in Robinson's career at least. He's only been an NRL coach for 6 years.
Even Bennett didn't stay at Broncos forever.

Springs09

Juniors
I'd say Bellamy could turn any club into a powerhouse, he's proven it for over 15 years without buying topline players. Bennett is also a proven commodity over decades, but has tended to have quality personnel more often than not. Hasler can do it for 2 or 3 years but his methods tend to wear thin and he has to move on. Robinson needs the very best players at his disposal, he's unproven with an average roster, and Sticky has had some quality teams in his career only to fail miserably.

Well no, Bellamy turned the Storm into a powerhouse with the help of an administration that cheated the cap for 5 years. The way he's kept the Storm on top of the ladder with his superstars slowly leaving has been brilliant but he is untested at other clubs. Who knows what would happen if he was to be put in charge of the Warriors for example. The only other big gig Bellamy had was NSW and failed miserably.

No coach is that good that you can just say 'put him in charge of any of the bottom sides and they'll be powerhouses in 3 years'. Supercoach Bennett failed at the knights and not even Jack Gibson could do it with all sides.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Great thread.

So in conclusion, Trent Robinson is just an average coach with a great roster.

And moreover, coaches make absolutely no difference at all - they are beholden to their roster entirely!

That should be comforting to Warriors and Dragons fans.

You no longer need to complain about Kearney and Mary, guys; because the coach is irrelevant.

Brilliant insight once again from LU.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Has any club gone broke paying $8million for one player?

Been rather effective, It was to ensure players salaries did not get out of control and silly clubs who would promise more than they could pay.

Plus multiple premiers.

Some manage the cap and the playing rosters better than others.

Get better.

Latest posts