What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow wants to go home...

Choke on that $andow, you overrated f*cking hack of a player.... NSW Cup should suit you to a tea, don't fall off too many tackles on your way to ESL next year :lol:

T.

Not much wrong with any of that. Sandow is the most overrated player in the comp by a long way.

Gronk

Staff member
Chris Sandow sent to NSW Cup to work on skills

• Christian Nicolussi
  • The Daily Telegraph
  • April 18, 2012 12:00AM
    563199-chris-sandow-parramatta-eels.jpg
Skills required: pint-sized halfback Chris Sandow has been forced to play NSW Cup rather than go home during the representative break. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

STRUGGLING Parramatta halfback Chris Sandow has been ordered to remain in Sydney this weekend to brush up on his skills in park footy.

A day after Sandow said he wanted to visit Cherbourg, in country Queensland, and forget his horror start at the Eels, club officials took a hardline stance and named him for Wentworthville in the NSW Cup.
At midday, Parramatta chief executive Bob Bentley told The Daily Telegraph Sandow wanted to use his four rostered days off to get home, but needed feedback from coach Stephen Kearney.
By 4pm, Sandow's name appeared on the Wentworthville team sheet to play against Canterbury at Belmore Oval on Sunday.
The Eels are anchored at the bottom of the NRL ladder, with fed-up fans still sweating on Sandow to deliver on his whopping $550,000 price tag.
Those fans will now be hoping prized recruit Sandow does not spit the dummy at being ordered to run around in Sydney's second-tier rugby league competition. Bentley last night said it was decided Sandow would be best served remaining in town.
Have your say: What do you think of Parramatta's move?
"The NRL side hasn't got a game this weekend, and when I spoke to Steve (in New Zealand), he wanted him to play footy and keep his fitness and confidence levels up," Bentley said.
"He was thinking because we had a few days off he'd slip home and have a bit of fun. But the coach had other ideas to keep him going."
Bentley said Sandow had been one of Parramatta's better performers, and there were no regrets about paying such cash to lure him from South Sydney.
"He's a quality player, I know people have been quick to criticise him, but I thought he's been one of our better players," Bentley said. "Sure, your halfback needs to take control in games, but you can't single him out and blame him for our performances."
Sandow said on Monday it had been months since he had travelled to Cherbourg.
"Laughter is a good medicine to bring back my confidence. I love being happy, so getting back there will bring that out of me," he said.
Some previous trips to Cherbourg had not gone smoothly because of the occasional family drama. However, it was a corresponding return home last year that Sandow reached the decision to join Parramatta and return to produce a string of great games for the Bunnies.
Kearney made no secret of the fact he wanted more from Sandow after Sunday's 24-18 loss to Cronulla.
Awaiting Sandow on Sunday will be pesky Canterbury No.7 Joel Romelo. Just like Sandow, nuggetty Romelo is known to produce a good shoulder charge, which is sure to produce plenty of fireworks.
Hundreds of readers flooded The Daily Telegraph website yesterday with some claiming Sandow was a waste of money. Others could not believe he had been made the Eels' scapegoat.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...o-work-on-skills/story-e6frfgbo-1226330726029

Gronk

Staff member
Putting the worth in Wentworthville: Kearney drops Sandow to NSW Cup

April 18, 2012

"The NRL team has a bye and the coach wants him to play footy this weekend to keep his match fitness and confidence up" ... Eels chief executive Bob Bentley.
AFTER failing to find his form and confidence playing for Parramatta in first grade, Chris Sandow has been told to widen his search to the NSW Cup with Wentworthville.
The Eels, like all NRL teams, have this weekend off as the City-Country and Australia-New Zealand representative matches stand alone, but their coach, Steve Kearney, has sent Sandow back to Parramatta's feeder club in a bid to spark him into life.
Kearney has been unable to hide his disappointment with the form of Sandow - who joined the club this year on a deal understood to be worth $550,000 a season - following Parramatta's two most recent games.
After the Eels lost to Newcastle on April 8, Kearney was asked about Sandow's performance, and replied: ''Bad time to ask me.'' Pressed to give his view of Sandow's form, he repeated the line. After last Sunday's loss to Cronulla, Kearney said: ''He can certainly contribute a lot more to the team than he is at the moment.''
Kearney, who is in Auckland coaching the New Zealand team for Friday night's Test against Australia at Eden Park, did not return calls when the Herald tried to contact him yesterday, but others in the know at Parramatta said the coach was trying to press Sandow into action and that he didn't think a week off from playing would help.
''The NRL team has a bye and the coach wants him to play footy this weekend to keep his match fitness and confidence up,'' Eels chief executive Bob Bentley said. Wentworthville coach Brett Cook added: ''The coach [Kearney] wants him to keep playing footy in a bid to find his form again.''
"I want to go back home, and it would be good because I think it's healthy for me" ... Chris Sandow. Photo: Getty Images
It was reported yesterday that Sandow, who is well known for bouts of homesickness, planned to ask the club for permission to go home to Cherbourg, in Queensland, this weekend. ''I want to go back home, and it would be good because I think it's healthy for me,'' Sandow was quoted as saying. ''All my family and friends are back there. Laughter is a good medicine to bring back my confidence. I try to get my friends and family down [to Sydney] as much as I can to keep me going.
But such a trip is no longer an option now Sandow has been named to play for Wenty. He injured his shoulder in the loss to the Sharks but the word out of the Parramatta camp is that the injury is not major and should not prevent him from playing this weekend. Cook said Sandow's fitness would be assessed over the next few days.
''Fortunately we haven't got our bye on the same week as there is no football in the NRL, so Steve was able to take the opportunity to use us when he decided he wanted Chris to play,'' Cook said.
"The coach [Kearney] wants him to keep playing footy in a bid to find his form again" ... Wentworthville coach Brett Cook. Photo: Getty Images
There are no shortage of theories as to why Sandow has struggled this season. Parramatta great Peter Sterling said recently Sandow looked as if he was overweight, but Sandow says he is playing at the same weight as last year at South Sydney. Another suggestion is that he is a victim of Parramatta's poor form in general. But, whatever it is, Kearney's patience is obviously wearing thin.
The decision to force Sandow to play in the NSW Cup is clearly an attempt to get Sandow into gear by hopefully building his confidence in a lower class. Parramatta veteran Luke Burt, who was recently dropped to Wentworthville, was not included in the side named yesterday. He is out with a knee injury.
Wests Tigers utility Blake Ayshford will also play in the NSW Cup this weekend, for Balmain Ryde against Newtown at Henson Park on Saturday. Ayshford played off the bench for Wests Tigers in their win over Penrith on Sunday.

Gronk

Staff member
Sandow sent to play in NSW Cup

April 17, 2012 - 5:49PM

Parramatta halfback Chris Sandow will play NSW Cup this weekend instead of enjoying the bye as a result of his poor start to the season.
A marquee acquisition for the Eels, earning an estimated $550,000, a season Sandow has performed below expectations to date in 2012, as have Parramatta themselves in winning only one match.
Eels coach Stephen Kearney has made little secret of his disappointment at Sandow's form and has taken action, allowing him to be named for feeder club Wentworthville for their NSW Cup match against Canterbury at Belmore Sports Ground on Sunday.
Last weekend, Kearney dragged Sandow from the field before full-time of the Eels’ 24-18 defeat to Cronulla at Toyota Stadium and has admitted his star playmaker could contribute more.
Sandow has also been criticised for being overweight by Parramatta’s greatest halfback, Peter Sterling.
Wentworthville coach Brett Cook usually discusses potential team changes with Kearney early in the week, which has seen him gain Parramatta veteran Luke Burt and forward Justin Horo for the bulk of this season.
But he only found out about Sandow’s availability for their clash with Canterbury late this afternoon.
And this time it was Eels’ media manager Doug MacDougall who had to relay Kearney’s message to Cook.
‘‘The position I’m in I never really know until the end if he is playing or if he’s not, but anyone who comes back with (Sandow’s) experience is a bonus to our guys,’’ Cook told AAP.
‘‘It’s usually done for a reason to get blokes a bit more footy and a bit of a run in most cases.’’
with AAP

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Bob says he's been one of our better players this year and he's just going to Wenty to keep his fitness and confidence up. Yeah right, pull the other one.
Would love to hear the real reason.

yy_cheng

Coach
work on his skills? did he lose them?

sandow looks lost and either he is diloberately not following instructions or the instructions are not agreeing with him

Gronk

Staff member
Sandow might never return to FG. Maybe he and Burty will steer Wenty to a premiership ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bob says he's been one of our better players this year and he's just going to Wenty to keep his fitness and confidence up. Yeah right, pull the other one.
Would love to hear the real reason.

well it doesn't quite take that much to be a better player at our club these days.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's been dropped, lol

do these journos realise we dont have an NRL team this weekend ?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Sterling was "on the money". Sandow is currently not sufficiently fit for 80 minutes in the NRL and as such needs to keep playing. The sad fact is that the majority of the team also appear lacking condition. Maybe they should all play NSW cup this weekend?

Tooooks

Bench
Not much wrong with any of that. Sandow is the most overrated player in the comp by a long way.

How can he be the most overrated player in the game? None of the fans of other clubs rate him, nor do most of the Eels fans.

He's a very talented player who I feel will go the way of many other players who never fulfilled their potential (usually due to attitude).

If getting paid a fortune to do what you love, while living with your wife and kids doesn't make you happy, then he's a hard man to please.

Mickyd39

Juniors
work on his skills? did he lose them?

sandow looks lost and either he is diloberately not following instructions or the instructions are not agreeing with him

If Sandow has been sent to Wenty to work on his skills, maybe Esi should join him to work on his tackling.

I could think of a few other players that should be joining him at Wenty this weekend to "work on their skills"

Bigfella

Coach
His attitude has been shithouse last two weeks and he is the one player who could have contributes much much more in the last two games. His lack of contribution was probably the biggest factor in us not winning those games.

I don't blame them for keeping some pressure on. If he plays it will be pretty revealing about the extent of his injury won't it?

barney gumble

Juniors
Sandow is obviously overweight and out of form so on the one hand it is sensible to make him train all week and play this weekend, it is a 'Clayton's' dropping though. Anyone suggesting that he deserves a break and should be allowed to go home is kidding themselves. Sandow, if he truly is the professional his pay scale suggests, should embrace the opportunity to play this weekend, though I'm not sure what a great performance in Wenty will prove to the coach because it hasn't helped Luke Burt any.

Captain BF

Juniors
Does Sandow have leg or shoulder injuries? To me, he seems to have been playing on one leg. And then a couple of times he was holding his shoulder on sunday. If either of these things are correct, he should not be playing this weekend despite his lack of fitness/match fitness.

born an eel

Bench
should do wonders working on his skills, players need time to adjust when playing in a new side especially halves, combinations improve with game time. when the NSW cup side is called up next round they will already have a game together under their belt.

Just imagine if Anderson did this to hayne 2 years ago, all he said was hayne could play better and he was hauled infront of the board and manager to please explain. Maybe the board has learnt to stay out of coaching matters.

Gronk

Staff member
Sandow is obviously overweight and out of form so on the one hand it is sensible to make him train all week and play this weekend, it is a 'Clayton's' dropping though. Anyone suggesting that he deserves a break and should be allowed to go home is kidding themselves. Sandow, if he truly is the professional his pay scale suggests, should embrace the opportunity to play this weekend, though I'm not sure what a great performance in Wenty will prove to the coach because it hasn't helped Luke Burt any.

I see no problem in any of the NRL players running out for Wenty when there is a rare week off. Some of these mugs should put their egos aside and run out for Wenty as well.

When there is a bye or a rep weekend in Super 15, rah rah players have no problem running out for Eastwood/Randwick etc in fact they are actually PROUD to do this.