What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW: the example for Islander players

screeny

Bench
A lots been said about SBW, obviously, but from my point of view - a RL fan first and foremost - I feel for the code and how SBW has betrayed it.

SBW has barked loud and long about how he feels Islander players don't have a voice and how they get taken advantage of. But now, in one fell swoop, he's tarnished them all a little bit and has basically, in his self-appointed role as spokesman for Islander players, told them all to act dishonourably and grab money, betray your ethics and lie.

Legal issues aside he was a special player/personality in the game and he's let everyone down massively.

Kiki

First Grade
so true. hes such a hypocrite...the way he ripped into willie mason for leaving the dogs and then he goes and does this.

i hate that he appointed himself a spokesperson for islanders. hes useless.

ByRd

First Grade
i really am over it, i just wanna get out to the game tomorrow and cheer on the team, screw $BW

Eels Dude

Coach
Sonny Bill is an effing karmichael and thats how it is.

We're all betrayed and disappointed. He's going to know that as soon as he touches down in France, wich has either just happened or is not far off.

Agree on the influence to Islander players.

I'm more worried about the young kids who turned up to see him and meet him the other day, in whatever town that was. All those kids are probably sitting at home asking there parents "where is sonny going"?

Shameful.

OVP

Coach
i really am over it, i just wanna get out to the game tomorrow and cheer on the team, screw $BW

I hope all Dogs fans get out to the game tomorrow as a show of support to the rest of the team. Its very important to do that at a time like this. Watch out Dragons, beware the wounded Bulldog.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
A lots been said about SBW, obviously, but from my point of view - a RL fan first and foremost - I feel for the code and how SBW has betrayed it.

SBW has barked loud and long about how he feels Islander players don't have a voice and how they get taken advantage of. But now, in one fell swoop, he's tarnished them all a little bit and has basically, in his self-appointed role as spokesman for Islander players, told them all to act dishonourably and grab money, betray your ethics and lie.

Legal issues aside he was a special player/personality in the game and he's let everyone down massively.

The very idea that Sonny Bill has betrayed the code is delusional. He is entitled to play whatever game he wants.

He is a good example to other Islanders though. He has been taken advantage of at every turn.

PJ

First Grade
He is entitled to play any game he wants.

He is obliged to play for the game and team that he has contractually agreed to play for and for the agreed time period.

bartman

Immortal
SBW is an example to no-one.

I can't remember a more hypocritcal player, judging on public statements versus personal actions.

Hassling Willie about changing clubs, then publically looking to do the same, before being bribed with the future captaincy etc to stay put and honour his contract.

Then coming on the footy show and talking loyalty etc (and basically covering the tracks for his manager's big mouth, which was doing Sonny-Bill damage), then coming out and throwing this in the face of his teamamtes, his club that have paid his medical bills and a hefty wage whenever he's been sat on the sideline, and his clubs' fans, and the game itself.

I don't think he's betrayed his personal fans, as I don't think he had any left? Even his most ardent supporter on these forums, the poster known as Manu Vatuvei, has publicly turned his back on SBW over this ;-)

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
He is entitled to play any game he wants.

He is obliged to play for the game and team that he has contractually agreed to play for and for the agreed time period.

Amazingly, some people don't feel obligated when they are ripped off.

Calixte

First Grade
The very idea that Sonny Bill has betrayed the code is delusional. He is entitled to play whatever game he wants.

He is a good example to other Islanders though. He has been taken advantage of at every turn.

He betrayed his team. Of that there is no doubt.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
SBW is an example to no-one.

I can't remember a more hypocritcal player, judging on public statements versus personal actions.

Hassling Willie about changing clubs, then publically looking to do the same, before being bribed with the future captaincy etc to stay put and honour his contract.

Then coming on the footy show and talking loyalty etc (and basically covering the tracks for his manager's big mouth, which was doing Sonny-Bill damage), then coming out and throwing this in the face of his teamamtes, his club that have paid his medical bills and a hefty wage whenever he's been sat on the sideline, and his clubs' fans, and the game itself.

I don't think he's betrayed his personal fans, as I don't think he had any left? Even his most ardent supporter on these forums, the poster known as Manu Vatuvei, has publicly turned his back on SBW over this ;-)

SBW has been betrayed by Canterbury, his managers and his team mates (namely big willie). Sometimes what goes around comes around.

Crucifying SBW is ridiculous.

Frailty

First Grade
Amazingly, some people don't feel obligated when they are ripped off.

Well that's a shame. He agreed to terms and signed the dotted line. Are you telling me if a person signed an AWA they could just break it because they ended up getting ripped off? Oh that's right... too f**king bad.

Eels Dude

Coach

Yes that's a great example to other islanders. Someone who has been taken advantage of at every turn.

Frailty

First Grade
SBW has been betrayed by Canterbury, his managers and his team mates (namely big willie). Sometimes what goes around comes around.

Crucifying SBW is ridiculous.

There is only one thing worse than what Willie did, and that is be a hypocrite... And that is what SBW has made of himself. No one else.

sass

Juniors

that makes absolutely no sense. even if he has been taken advantage of, he dealt with it by breaking a contract and running off overseas. what kid of role model is he?

I've never hated sbw but you have to admit he's acting like a spoiled kid.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
that makes absolutely no sense. even if he has been taken advantage of, he dealt with it by breaking a contract and running off overseas. what kid of role model is he?

I've never hated sbw but you have to admit he's acting like a spoiled kid.

He is a footballer not a role model. He is acting like a guy that suddenly realised he has been had.