What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scheduling Con in New TV Deal?

Raiderdave

First Grade
It may be relevant in the case where those games chosen by the NRL are not deemed worthy of a premium timeslot are parked in the worst timeslots, leaving the other games more likely to land in the better timeslots for FTA or Fox. There is still some element of control by nine, even if a small amount, if they don't get the games they would prefer control over.

That being the idea
9 will want 18 or 20 or what ever it is premium games for their Thursday night matchup , the NRL is under no added incentive to deliver the better games into that grave yard for attendances time slot , so they will get far less attractive matches relatively speaking. The term premium doesn't mean much. 9 will still get reasonable games on Friday night's & certainly good match ups on Sundays

taipan

Referee
I've just completed a NRL survey today ,which I get from time to time.One of the questions 'which is your preferred time to attend an NRL game" showing all the current time slots.I stated 2pm Sunday,others no doubt different times.

But I get the feeling the code is trying to work out which is the most popular time slot for various clubs, and use that as a basis for 2018 scheduling.They are reminded by the media, by clubs, by us continually you ain't going to get crowds based on the current scheduling, which Tv controls.

If next year wasn't at least going to give fans better time slots to attend rather than the current ones, then what's the point of the last negotiations, what's the point in a asking me and others preferred time slots?
If it is just to make them look good,it'll come back to bite them.

In 2019 when Parra stadium is completed ,you can bet your bippi,not only the Eels,but Tigers,and Dogs will probably give it a shot.And maybe even Souths.If that doesn't help crowds, then we'd better down tools, and act like tools.

My feeling FWIW,the NRL will state ,local derbies on such and such a day, and popular clubs with big fan bases on such and such a day.The TV stations will get their pound of flesh, and the NRL fans will get a far better shot than currently operates.
e.g. Having a Cowboys v Sydney team game at 6pm is a recipe for disaster.
Again every club will not get everything they want, but hell what they are getting now is sewer overflow.

Mr Saab

Referee
If NRL are serious about fans then they schedule 3 x Sunday games in 2018.
Either 12pm 2pm 4pm or 2pm 4pm 6pm

Crowds are down 7% at the moment and unless we get some big crowds leading up to the finals then it will be the lowest crowd avg since 2002.

Diesel

Coach
Those merkins. They don't mention "full or complete".

Toddy uses "greater control" which could be 1 game because at the moment it's 0 games.

Let's riot!

Would like to see the return of the twilight GF and Sunday finals for weeks 2 and 3

Perth Red

Post Whore
Premium is a pretty loose term.. Warriors v Canberra is a premium game, Titans v Manly is a premium game..

Go nuts Ch 9 Schedule them when you want.. or pass them up

There'd be no point in the word being there if it has no meaning. At the least you'd hope the nrl would offer ch9 the very best Sydney derby games for the Sunday afternoon slots, then the second best qland and Sydney games for Friday nignt and finally try and shift the low drawing but high tv viewing clubs games to Thursday and just accept we'll have 5 years of embarrassing crowds once a week ahead of us.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The TV deal must have some sort of flexibility in it, around time slots based on the market results..

What would happen if ch 7 , ran some huge massive hit TV show on at 7.30 pm every Thursday and channel 9 were getting absolutely hammered in ratings, surely the contract has a review mechanism built in..

NRL needs to start talking now to Nine and Fox, the Thurs and Fri 6pm arent working, .. they dont need to banished totally just tweaked and reduced to not an every week thing..

NZ warriors home games, are ok for a 6pm game as we know, some 6.30 pm sundays would be cool at the start of 2018 in DST,

Why must it all be so set in stone.. ?

Starkers

Bench
it's obvious it will get better. and clubs will share the time slots more evenly. but there will always be the odd howler given a largely fixed schedule. can't avoid it.