What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scheduling, TV allocations, Ratings and the madness of ch 9.

God help me. I have made a thread in the NRL forum in the expectation that there may be some interesting conversation.

My question is; have ch9 completely lost their head*

I think most of us will agree that over the last month or so the best games in the NRL have been;

Canberra v Melbourne (Monday Fox)
Titans v Tigers (Sat Fox)
Sharks v Titans (Mon Fox)
NQL v Storm (Sat Fox)

These games were pulsating advertisements of Rugby League played in front of strong crowds to excellent ratings and all of them had a bearing on the top 8.

Through this period we have had to sit through the following on 9

Stg v Brisbane
Manly v Newcastle
Roosters v Cows
Bris v Parra
Parra v Manly

Mostly bludgers of games with poor crowds that have little bearing on the top 8.

Now when you consider that ch9 get to pick the "best 3" games of the round how is it possible that they are getting it so comprehensively wrong? They have scheduled zero of the best games over the last few weeks, and the game that is likely to decide the minor premiership in round 26 in the Sharks v Storm will also be on Fox. Now, before you come back to me with the answer "ratings" it is being proved on FOX again and again that high quality games pull in better viewer numbers. The Sharks Titans Monday night game was their best rating game of the year for them. Two "unpopular" teams. It is likely that last nights game will eclipse that, again two "unpopular" teams rating wise.

My assertion is that picking the "best rating teams" like Brisbane/Stg/Souffs/Newcastle is outdated and doing the game and ch 9 a huge dis-service.

*Before you go and say "Well, I don't watch ch9 anymore now that Fox simulcast" can you take your RL tragic hat off for a minute and look at things through the prism of the casual fan who more than likely does not have Fox and their exposure to Rugby League is through channel 9.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It’s a joke, that’s for sure. They’re missing out on quality games because the Top 8 this year is full of teams they don’t like to show i.e. Storm, Raiders, Sharks, Cowboys and Titans.

Happy to be corrected but I think the NRL is taking over the scheduling next season.

Nein have been shit at picking games for years. Whoever has that job should be relegated to doing Gus's makeup on Origin nights.

They seem to pretty much go for any Broncos game followed by any game between whichever Sydney clubs were good two years ago.

I don't have Fox anymore so I'm pretty sick of missing good games, but even more so I'm sick of never getting to see the likes of Canberra, Titans and the Warriors and even premiership favourites like Melbourne or Cronulla. You want to see all teams, even if they're not the best, at some point.

Snappy

Coach
ffs someone starts a thread about this every month. Surely by now we all understand that channel 9 care about one thing, and one thing only. Ratings.

ffs someone starts a thread about this every month. Surely by now we all understand that channel 9 care about one thing, and one thing only. Ratings.

. Now, before you come back to me with the answer "ratings" it is being proved on FOX again and again that high quality games pull in better viewer numbers. The Sharks Titans Monday night game was their best rating game of the year for them. Two "unpopular" teams. It is likely that last nights game will eclipse that, again two "unpopular" teams rating wise.

I don't buy that these shit games provide better ratings. People want to watch quality games, not "popular" teams playing rubbish.

Paullyboy

Coach
I don't buy that these shit games provide better ratings. People want to watch quality games, not "popular" teams playing rubbish.

Unfortunately the Fox market (NRL or sport tragics) and the 9 market are completely different. The free-to-air market is dominated by people who want to watch fat people losing weight and crying about it whilst cooking desserts in a renovated inner-city apartment that they 'built'...whilst crying about it (ie teenage and middle-age women).

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I have fox, but always look forward to the saturday 5.330 games a lot more than the friday night game..

I like the style the titans, raiders, warriors play, and they are on a lot on sat 5.30..

If i never see another slog fest in the wet starting at 8.09pm with 70,000 empty seats... featuring a big boring team like the Dogs, it will be too soon..

The_Shield

Juniors
Isn't Foxtel starting up a dedicated rugby league channel next year. Like the afl one. Should be good?

The biggest problem for me with channel 9 isn't they're scheduling. I don't really care who plays when. But 9s commentary is crap. The sooner they get rid of Gus, rabs, Fittler and the rest, the better it'll be

Snappy

Coach

There is a huge number of people who only care about watching 'their' team, and dont watch many other games. Hence why clubs with bigger supporter bases achieve better ratings, regardless of ladder position.
Nothing is going to change until 2018 no matter how much people complain.

The_Shield

Juniors
There is a huge number of people who only care about watching 'their' team, and dont watch many other games. Hence why clubs with bigger supporter bases achieve better ratings, regardless of ladder position.
Nothing is going to change until 2018 no matter how much people complain.

Do you really think it's going to change much after 2018? I think 9 will still get their way somehow

TheRam

Coach
Isn't Foxtel starting up a dedicated rugby league channel next year. Like the afl one. Should be good?

The biggest problem for me with channel 9 isn't they're scheduling. I don't really care who plays when. But 9s commentary is crap. The sooner they get rid of Gus, rabs, Fittler and the rest, the better it'll be

This. Rabs and Gus together is absolute garbage. Like two old gay couple arguing about who sprayed the toilet seat?

Thank Jupiter that Rabs is retiring. BTW I haven't watched a nine game, bar SOO, all year. What a delight.

Snappy

Coach
Do you really think it's going to change much after 2018? I think 9 will still get their way somehow

Of course it's going to change with the NRL doing the schedule instead of TV networks.

The current TV deal states there must a minimum of 18 Friday night Broncos games per season. Just getting rid of that stipulation is a win for everyone.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I get that the broncos pay the bills but their little form slump hasn't been the best entertainment. The dragons game could be kept in hospitals to put blokes halfway through an ice bender to sleep.

Milford was pretty entertaining on Friday though. So that was good for the viewer.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm pretty one-eyed, but honestly the way we've been playing lately is the best possible advertisement for league. But were relegated to Siberia on TV because Brisbane.

Latest posts